• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick question on sizing. I tried on a pair of RW Iron Rangers, size 10. They fit decently, maybe very slightly snug. What size would best suit me in the Katahdins?

You'd probably need a 10.5 in the Katahdins. Maybe an 11.

MrMoonbeam

Reaction score
You'd probably need a 10.5 in the Katahdins. Maybe an 11.
YMMV, as I fit into a 10.5 in the Iron Rangers, and my Katahdin 10.5's fit equally as well.
Both were a tad narrow to begin with, but eased out during the break in period.
For most shoes I wear a size 11.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's really hard to say. You're just going to have to try them on. Many in this thread claim the Katahdins are TTS while many claim you need to .5 size down.

In addition, I feel that with Iron Rangers you can go .5 size down or even a full size. Oh, the humanity!

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

YMMV, as I fit into a 10.5 in the Iron Rangers, and my Katahdin 10.5's fit equally as well.
Both were a tad narrow to begin with, but eased out during the break in period.
For most shoes I wear a size 11.

really?
good to hear, I'm teterring between a 10.5 D (that fells tight) and a 10.5 W that feels too wide.

Jayross

Reaction score
I'm at 9 1/2 in the Katahdins. What size should I do for Red Wing or Wolverine?

emptyframe

Reaction score
Ruben. I still haven't decided either. I have the 9 EE and the 9.5 D. The 9.5 D fits perfectly, except for the toes. My fourth and fifth toes touch the front/side. They feel okay in the morning, but in the evening they definitely feel too small. I've been thinking about getting the toe stretched, but I'm worried it might not be possible. The trouble area extends slightly into the toe cap, which is much stiffer than the rest of the boot. Anyone have experience with getting shoes stretched?

The 9 EE fits my toes, but even with the shoe-laces tied as tight as possible, it just doesn't feel right through the rest of the shoe. Wearing thicker socks still doesn't give the support/stability of the 9.5 D. I know that keeping these is the more practical choice, but they just don't feel right. Considering trying a 10 D, but it seems like a long shot. I measure 9.5 on the Brannock device.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn, This will sound nitpicky, but after looking over the old posts, I'm convinced I have a full grain and a split grain Katahdin boot.
On one, the creases are fewer, deeper and more pronounced on the toe, tongue, body. While on the other there are more creases, but seem shallower.
To use more technical terms, one of the boots has a very fine leather break (many wrinkles per inch), while the other boot has a coarse leather break(fewer, deeper, coarser wrinkles per inch)
Not sure if that implies one is split grain or not.
Any suggestions on what I should do? I didn't think it'd be a big deal, but I'm worried about my boots

I know this is an older post and the conversation has moved past it but info must be given!

You don't have a full and split grain boot. Both are full grain. What you are seeing on the inside there is a result of leather being taken from different parts of the hide; think of it like cuts of beef. The best quality leather comes from the shoulders and left and right single bends, lastly comes the belly. If you're sourcing for a premium first cut type of deal, you will pay more to get the best cuts (shoulders and bends), but if you're looking to keep costs down, you will go for backs which include one side bend, half a shoulder and one belly side.

The "weaker" areas (I presume the areas where there isn't as much muscle mass and are considered more vulnerable) tend to be softer and have a different nap on the bottom side. This is wear you get the fuzzys. A "split" is more commonly known as suede, and it's easy to distinguish between suede and leather with a top finish. Your boots would be obviously different on the outside (not the inside).

Those same weaker areas also will develop different types of wrinkling, it's still natural wrinkling, but it just looks different. We tend to prefer things symmetrical, but you shouldn't worry too much about the quality as full grain leather is pretty sturdy.

Hopefully that helps alleviate some concerns.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ruben. I still haven't decided either. I have the 9 EE and the 9.5 D. The 9.5 D fits perfectly, except for the toes. My fourth and fifth toes touch the front/side. They feel okay in the morning, but in the evening they definitely feel too small. I've been thinking about getting the toe stretched, but I'm worried it might not be possible. The trouble area extends slightly into the toe cap, which is much stiffer than the rest of the boot. Anyone have experience with getting shoes stretched?
The 9 EE fits my toes, but even with the shoe-laces tied as tight as possible, it just doesn't feel right through the rest of the shoe. Wearing thicker socks still doesn't give the support/stability of the 9.5 D. I know that keeping these is the more practical choice, but they just don't feel right. Considering trying a 10 D, but it seems like a long shot. I measure 9.5 on the Brannock device.

have you been wearing beyond just a try-on?

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, that sucks I was kinda hoping they'd stretch out with wear.

I check the reddit men's fashion forum thing and they all seem to recommend going TTS.

Channel 0

Reaction score
Got mine! Went with the 10.5's. They fit well. Wore them out this weekend, without prior break-in. They rubbed a couple holes through my skin around the ankle, but they're slowly giving in.

z270

Reaction score
Is it true that these boots come much darker now? I really liked the light brown, almost tan colour. Yet from pictures I see, after OB LP its almost black.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is it true that these boots come much darker now? I really liked the light brown, almost tan colour. Yet from pictures I see, after OB LP its almost black.

I don't think they ever came "almost tan" and I think they always got super dark with LP/Sno-Seal.

J crew sells (sold?) a very similar version in a lighter colored pebble grain that would not start to get close to black with some LP.

CPaul

Reaction score
Look at the earlier pictures in this thread. They were definitely much lighter before.

scoobydrew

Reaction score
Hmm, that sucks I was kinda hoping they'd stretch out with wear.
I check the reddit men's fashion forum thing and they all seem to recommend going TTS.
Definitely true to size.

I'm measured as 8D (with thinner socks), and I wear 8D in Allen Edmonds, 7.5 D in Clarks Desert Boots, and 7D in Red Wing Iron Rangers. I had a pair of Katahdins in 8D and they fit perfectly. Still had a just a little bit of wiggle room.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads