1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jmillz15, Oct 13, 2009.

1. CPaul

CPaul Senior member

I have that issue too. Seems to be the adhesive popping from the heel/sole

2. K2793

K2793 Senior member

Can these work well in the winter snow and still look good with APC Petit Standards if my hem is 6.5-6.75? Or will they look silly/like clown shoes.

3. chicubs1908

chicubs1908 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully one of you guys could help me out...Is the bottom boot half-grain leather? It is definitely fuzzier.

4. nf one

nf one Well-Known Member

I wore mine with a pair of size 29 petit standards, obviously we all have different tastes as per aesthetic but I actually thought this was the ideal hem opening for the boot. Any bigger and I think you lose a lot of the details and they look very generic unless you cuff real high and any tighter and indeed you will get a clown shoe effect. It looks completely straighty with the PS on top.

I'm selling my Chipps if anybody is interested in an 8D pair.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/336971/chippewa-gq-apache-boot-8d-8-ll-bean-katahdin-ironworks

5. kyleblanc

kyleblanc New Member

I have been looking at these boots for a couple days now and can't bite the bullet on them yet. I do a lot of metal work and construction type work, but I am sick of the normal yellowish/tan timberland steel toe work boot. I was wondering if any thinks that these would be any good for that. I know there is no steel toe but I can live without that. Will they be durable enough to take a beating like that day in and day out? Also I don't always wear skinny jeans, the skinniest I can fit into is a Levi 514 (I'm a bigger dude) which i wear the majority of the time. how would these look if I were just around working with a hooded sweatshirt on or something like that and not dressed up? Thanks.

6. kyleblanc

kyleblanc New Member

I have been looking at these boots for a couple days now and can't bite the bullet on them yet. I do a lot of metal work and construction type work, but I am sick of the normal yellowish/tan timberland steel toe work boot. I was wondering if any thinks that these would be any good for that. I know there is no steel toe but I can live without that. Will they be durable enough to take a beating like that day in and day out? Also I don't always wear skinny jeans, the skinniest I can fit into is a Levi 514 (I'm a bigger dude) which i wear the majority of the time. how would these look if I were just around working with a hooded sweatshirt on or something like that and not dressed up? Thanks.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Thought I'd throw this out there - anyone who owns the Kathadin boot own any other LLBean boots? If so, do you find they fit the same?

8. hardline_42

hardline_42 Member

If you're not married to the idea of a cap toe, Chippewa has a line of boots that are similar in style but way better suited to a construction site. Examples:

The 20066. Same as the GQ boots with a steel toe
    [​IMG]

The 25265. 8" version with dual density sole
    [​IMG]

The 20086. 8" version with Vibram lug sole
    [​IMG]

All models come in 6" and 8" and some in dark brown and tan. As for durability, they're quite robust if you treat them right. If you plan to wear them (or any other leather shoe) every day, you need to get a boot dryer. Otherwise, wearing them every day without giving them a proper chance to dry will shorten their life. Another option is getting two or more pairs and rotating them.

9. red81

red81 Senior member

[​IMG]
    anyone know where these can be acquired?

10. mixProtocol

mixProtocol Senior member

So I have a pair of Chippewa 6inchers on order... their "chocolate apache" leather seems to be the same texture as the current brown Katahdins, though perhaps lighter in color. I'm looking to polish them up a bit, possibly with Meltonian cream. I've used Obenauf's on other boots and while it's good for waterproofing, it's not what I'm looking for here. So, any recommendations on a product (wax, cream, polish) that might bring some shine to the boots?

11. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

How do you guys get salt out of these boots? Winter is pretty much done here.

12. red81

red81 Senior member

wash with water and air dry?

13. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Yep. Looks good now. I have to treat these bad boys with some product. I will post pics, my boots are def darker from the last time I applied some product but IMO looks better.

How often do you folks apply conditioner/treatment to the leather?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  14. mixProtocol

mixProtocol Senior member

My Carolina work boots have a texture similar to the the Katahdin. I wear 'em year round with two Obenauf's LP treatments: one in the fall (before the snow starts) and another in the spring (after cleaning off the salt).

15. otc

otc Senior member

dilute some white vinegar.

Comes right out.

16. MrMoonbeam

MrMoonbeam Member

My laces are about worn through after over a year of near daily wear.
    As best I can gauge these are 5/32 waxed round laces.
    I believe Chippewa makes replacements for these (feel free to confirm), but I was also wondering if anyone else has found a decent supplier - Amazon preferred :)

17. ruben

ruben Senior member

Moonbeam, what size did you end up with? TTS? sized down a half?
    how'd it work out for you?

18. MrMoonbeam

MrMoonbeam Member

I had picked up size 10.5, a half size down from my typical size 11.
    Fits like a glove now, though the first two weeks were pretty rough on the ankles.
    Love 'em!

19. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Cleaned my shoes this weekend. Two coats of Moneysworth and Best "dubbin" product. I got it from the bay when I bought my clarks a while ago.

Iphone pics

The second coat was from last night so I reckon it will not be that shiny tomorrow.

PS. I know I missed a quite a few spots,ah well it was late

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. johnny1202

johnny1202 Well-Known Member

I have tiny feet--size 8 in New Balance. Would you guys recommend sizing down to 7.5 or go with 8?