1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jmillz15, Oct 13, 2009.

1. autumndreams

autumndreams Senior member

Just got mine in a few days ago. Bought these during their 15% off sale to complement my black RW iron rangers.

Impressions:

As others have said, the leather is much darker than pictured on the website. This was a good thing in my case, I prefer the darker color in real life. The orange-y bit on the welt is the only thing about them that I don't like, cosmetically speaking. I'm sure it will become a bit darker with use and wear though.

The leather scuffs pretty easily, which isn't a problem for me. I like my casual shoes to be rugged and grungy, and these fit the bill. They would be difficult to pass off as a pair of dress boots, though.

In comparison to the red wings...well...not a lot to be said. The red wings have finer details and materials, but the Katahdin's are still very solid. The Katahdins do require a bit more of a break-in than the RW's did though...they're still a little rough on my ankles.

Overall, I'm happy with them, and I'm going to be giving them a lot of use.

2. scoobydrew

scoobydrew Well-Known Member

Is there a recommended oil/leather treatment for these boots? Like many have said, the leather scuffs rather easily, and I really want a nice amber to it much like the Iron Rangers. However, I've looked around and found that products like Neatsfoot oil darkens the boot quite a bit, making it look almost black.

3. CPaul

CPaul Senior member

seems like most of the popular oils will darken the boots. I just went with obenauf's like most of the other people in this thread

4. scoobydrew

I'll try out Obenauf's LP in the tub.

5. CPaul

CPaul Senior member

[​IMG]

Got mine a couple weeks ago. Wore them around 9 times, then finally got some obenaufs and applied one coat to the boot on the left. Color in the picture is pretty close to what they really are.

6. ruben

ruben Senior member

Are these sold out again?

The sizing is maddening.

7. scoobydrew

@CPaul, can you please take some pics of them outdoors in sunlight? They look great! Did you follow any specific process or heat up the leather or anything?

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  8. scoobydrew

It looks like they are. I'm sure they'll be back by mid-April or in May sometime.

Personally, I wear 8.5 in most casual type shoes (Adidas Sambas, Vans Authentics, etc.) and wear an 8 in dress shoes. I went with a 8D in Katahdins and with regular socks, there's a bit of wiggle room. Somewhat loose, but not too loose. I'm sure with some nice thick socks, they'll fit perfectly and snug.

9. scoobydrew

I wasn't a big fan of the bulbous toe-box, so I've crushed the toe-box just a little bit since I've gotten it. Still on the fence about applying some oil or Obenauf's LP.

[​IMG]

10. shootist16

shootist16 Member

Chippewa advised me to use their Apache cream on these boots.

11. GBCB

GBCB New Member

Any real oil/wax treatment will darken any leather, I've never seen one that didn't warn about this specifically on the packaging.

Also, from my experience with my own, (which are the previous lighter ones and not the newer darker ones), there is really no way to stop them from getting darker and darker as they age. When I first dubbed mine they were much lighter than they are now two years later, after regular wear and redubbings, though mine are certainly nowhere near black, especially in the light. Even before I dubbed them and wore them unoiled or waxed for a few months, they still got darker as wear and tear smoothed out the leather, especially around where jeans or pants hit the boots.

Basically if you keep the leather oiled/waxed it will keep getting darker, if you don't or let it dry out, it will get lighter, but then again, this also threatens the longevity of the boots.

12. thrice

thrice Well-Known Member

I know that this probably has been asked a thousand times, but I don't want to read through 63 pages.

The Wolverine 1000 mile fits me perfect in 9D. Would that mean I should go for a 9,5D in this boot? I'd hate to have to pay for a return from Norway to USA:

13. Vagran7

Vagran7 Well-Known Member

I had a few questions. I am looking to get a pair of these, and I am not sure about sizing. I want to replace the insoles with a pair of superfeet insoles. Are the included insoles removable? I am about a size 10 in Addidas Sambas and a 10.5 in running shoes. Does anybody know how these run in comparison?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  14. wesmamyke

wesmamyke Active Member

I went a full size down from my Adidas sambas, from 10 to 9 for the iron works boots. I don't recall if the insoles are removable, returned mine so can't check for you.

15. gong

gong Senior member

Do these have a rubber heel? They look awesome but I don't want to be heard before I'm seen.

16. scoobydrew

I wear an 8.5 in the Sambas, and I went down to an 8 in the Katahdins. There's some wiggle room left for some winter socks or just regular socks. And yes, the insole is removable.

Yes, these have a rubber heel.

17. ruben

ruben Senior member

For what it's worth, I'm a pretty perfect 11D.

The 11D KIWBoot was too long, the 10.5 was the perfect length but too narrow.

I think I need a 10.5 EE, but have to wait until they restock these.

Unless I'm crazy and they stretch out in width a lot when wearing.

18. Vagran7

I just bought a pair in size 9.5 and 10 to try. They also have a 15% off coupon online that works on the boots.

19. Vagran7

They arrived, and I tried them on later in the day after running while wearing thick socks. The length is fine on the size 10. 9.5 is too small. However, they are a bit narrow. When breaking in, do they flatten out and give a bit on the width?

20. CPaul

CPaul Senior member

Sorry it took so long but here's a shot in direct sunlight. When I applied the Obenauf's, I did it by hand, then put in front of a small space heater to let it soak a little, then applied another coat. It temporarily darkens the leather, but as you can see here, it lights up from wear. I wear these almost every weekday to work and the leather has softened up since I first got them. They no longer bother my ankles.

[​IMG]