Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jmillz15, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Dairy Phobic

Dairy Phobic Senior member

how well do the regular iron works boots hold up in snow/rain?
    are you slipping and sliding everywhere?

the soles are quite slippery, it just has tracks and not lugs, but doesnt really matter to me, because i dun walk in the snow i walk on the sidewalk,

but i have another pair of boots with lugs on them to walk in if the snow hasnt been plowed yet

2. wrongturnsteve

wrongturnsteve Well-Known Member

the soles on mine are quite slippery on wet surfaces

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

If you guys are worried about the Obenauf's not providing enough protection or wearing off too quickly I can heartily recommend Montana Pitch Blend. There was a discussion about it in the Wolverine 1000mile thread and I snagged some from their site. Very good shit.

4. phaseshift

phaseshift Senior member

this probably has been answered already but this is an enormous thread.

Someone mentioned to go 1/2 size down when getting the Katahdins, I'm a size 9 us in sneakers like Addidas Sambas with maybe a quarter to half inch room in the toes. Should I just go with 8 1/2 or maybe smaller?

also what does TTS mean

5. asdf

asdf Senior member

^I don't own Sambas but my Stan Smiths are the same size as my Katahdins, if that helps.

TTS means "true to size," only useful once you agree on what the benchmark is.

6. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

If you guys are worried about the Obenauf's not providing enough protection or wearing off too quickly I can heartily recommend Montana Pitch Blend. There was a discussion about it in the Wolverine 1000mile thread and I snagged some from their site. Very good shit.
    I've gone hiking in snow and worn them to work where I'm constantly walking through snow, and I've stayed totally dry. I put three coats of Obenauf's on though, so YMMV.

7. wannabeagiant

wannabeagiant Senior member

this probably has been answered already but this is an enormous thread.

Someone mentioned to go 1/2 size down when getting the Katahdins, I'm a size 9 us in sneakers like Addidas Sambas with maybe a quarter to half inch room in the toes. Should I just go with 8 1/2 or maybe smaller?

also what does TTS mean

I'm a 10 in most athletic shoes including sambas. I have katahdins in 9.5 (same as my dress shoes).

8. galenpriv

galenpriv Senior member

Hey guys. I went to LL Bean today and they only have the Katahdin Waterproof boots in the store. Is sizing similar? After reading all the posts I asked for smaller sizes, but when I finally found ones that fit, they were size 10 which is what I wear normally (I often wear 9.5 in others too). Is the lining a lot thicker making there a need to size up in the waterproof version? Thanks.

9. Ahriman4891

Ahriman4891 Senior member

TTS means "true to size," only useful once you agree on what the benchmark is.
    I thought the benchmark was the Brannock device?

10. wrongturnsteve

wrongturnsteve Well-Known Member

with the brannock, left foot is half size larger and both EE.

i went with the larger size in D and they fit perfect

11. phaseshift

phaseshift Senior member

if just wearing these around the city, such as Los Angeles, how long would a coat of Obenauf's stay on? I like the darker color so that's why I got 4oz of Obenauf's, how long should it stay dark for?

12. srivats

srivats Senior member

Anyone interested in a *very* lightly worn boot (5-6 times) in size 9D? They are practically new. My price is 100 + shipping. These boots are not light [​IMG]

13. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

if just wearing these around the city, such as Los Angeles, how long would a coat of Obenauf's stay on? I like the darker color so that's why I got 4oz of Obenauf's, how long should it stay dark for?

Wear it and find out. When you need more, apply more. Sheesh.

14. phaseshift

phaseshift Senior member

Ive been talking to another member who's got the LL beans and I liked the way he got his LL Beans to look, he used Obenauf's Oil instead of the LP, what's the difference between the two and if you apply one coat are they both going to look the same?

15. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

Anyone interested in a *very* lightly worn boot (5-6 times) in size 9D? They are practically new. My price is 100 + shipping. These boots are not light [​IMG]

I may be interested if I don't get a pair for christmas.