Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jmillz15, Oct 13, 2009.

1. graciefighter

graciefighter New Member

I'm teetering on the fence about these. I'm a skinny guy that wears skinny jeans and am afraid these will make my feet look monstrous (Yes, I know the skinny jeans problem has been addressed but my concerns remain).
    My Clarks DBs are slowly falling apart and I'm looking for something a bit more robust to replace them. I usually wear them with levis 511s or 510s rolled up, has anyone successfully pulled off this look with the Katahdins? How much chunkier is the profile of the Katahdins compared to DBs?
    Thanks for everyone's past and future contributions.

I have the Clarks DBs and had the Katahdin boots and the Katahdin boots weren't much chunkier than the DBs except for the soles which stick out all the way around. The DBs are flatter and wider looking while the Katahdins are narrower and taller.

2. lordgold

lordgold Active Member

Stopped by the Bean outlet by my parent's house, and they had a pair of Katahdin's for $75. If only they were 11 instead of 11.5.

3. G0079

G0079 Senior member

I'm teetering on the fence about these. I'm a skinny guy that wears skinny jeans and am afraid these will make my feet look monstrous (Yes, I know the skinny jeans problem has been addressed but my concerns remain). My Clarks DBs are slowly falling apart and I'm looking for something a bit more robust to replace them. I usually wear them with levis 511s or 510s rolled up, has anyone successfully pulled off this look with the Katahdins? How much chunkier is the profile of the Katahdins compared to DBs? Thanks for everyone's past and future contributions.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Here's the Katahdin vs. J Shoe's DB (same profile as the Clarks I guess) Jeans are APC NS in sz 30, so 7.5" hem according to context clothing's charts. Now here are some serious painted on jeans...I think I tapered them down to 6 inches. In this case, I think the Katahdins are starting to look a little silly, but nothing you couldn't pull off. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. tomorrowstars

tomorrowstars Senior member

Exactly what I needed, thanks so much!

5. graciefighter

graciefighter New Member

I initially ordered a size 9 but it was a tad large, so i ordered an 8.5. After i got the 8.5 i compared it to the 9 which i held on to and i noticed that the 8.5 has a more protruding sole. Just wondering for those of you who have the shoes, what are yours like.

In this picture, the left foot is 9, right foot is 8.5.

[​IMG]

The boots I got looked like the one on the right and just didn't look right to me so I returned them.
    Changy- Did you happen to get 8.5 in EE width and the 9 in D? I'm wondering if Chippewa just uses the next size up for the soles on wide widths.

6. Ahriman4891

Ahriman4891 Senior member

I have 8.5 EE and they look like Changy's right boot, so your theory about using the next size sole for wides could be correct. I like the look of the prominent sole though.

7. Thantos

Thantos Member

Ugh...so I want these boots cause I need a pair for the winter...but now it says they are out of stock on my size (12D), until March 21st.

Is there anywhere else where I can purchase these besides L.L. Beans Website? I live in Minnesota, so No L.L.. bean stores anywhere.

8. otc

otc Senior member

Ugh...so I want these boots cause I need a pair for the winter...but now it says they are out of stock on my size (12D), until March 21st.

Is there anywhere else where I can purchase these besides L.L. Beans Website? I live in Minnesota, so No L.L.. bean stores anywhere.

You could saunter on over to one of the several red wing stores that exist in MN and grab the very similar red wing boots (the ones that j.crew was selling). They cost more...but I bet they have them in your size [​IMG]

9. altemp

altemp Senior member

8.5 in clarks db, 9 in purcells and 9.5 in most sneakers... am I looking at an 8.5 or a 9? Reason I ask is I can get 8.5 brand new from the site or take a chance on 9s from here for much cheaper. I can also generally size down on shoes because my feet are very narrow but a bit long if that makes a difference.

I know people generally say down .5 but I'd like to make sure.

10. calloyaddy

calloyaddy Active Member

IME, these run true to size. I wear a 9.5 in Clarks db and wear the Katahdins in 10 with no problems. Fit is great.

11. altemp

altemp Senior member

Awesome, thanks for the quick answer.

12. bare bodkin

bare bodkin Senior member

LL Bean site has 10.5's now, get em fast.

13. ArsenalDan

ArsenalDan Senior member

LL Bean site has 10.5's now, get em fast.

Look closely...available yes, but right to the Quantity it says "Avail. Mar. 28"

14. bare bodkin

bare bodkin Senior member

Look closely...available yes, but right to the Quantity it says "Avail. Mar. 28"

Aw shit, can't believe I missed that. Thanks for the correction.

15. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

Put black polish on mine. I think I like it. Gives it an antiqued darker brown look. Will probably put another coat on sometime just to even it out a bit. It's just a wee bit blotchy as is.