Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jmillz15, Oct 13, 2009.

1. sofaking30

sofaking30 Well-Known Member

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...1&postcount=30
    I've never tried Obneauf and I bought the Sno Seal at a local leather repair and boot shop. Got it for $10 which is overpaying by about $5 compared to online, but the convenience was worth it.

I'll try to capture the lighting, but all I have is a cell phone so don't hold your breath!

I ordered it online. Damn I don't have a brush, is it necessary?

2. anonymouz

anonymouz Senior member

The boots are 1/2 size large, despite conflicting reports in this thread. It's not so noticeable that TTS will be too big, but sizing down 1/2 will give you a more "correct" fit. Order a size 9, if that's in stock. If not, I'd hold out; the waterproof version is blah, and the gq boots look very boring. Also, you don't have that big chippewa logo on the Katahdins, or the LL Bean customer service on the GQ boots.

The "gq" boots aren't terrible. The logo isn't visible unless you're wearing shorts and someone is really close. By the way it's a bit cheaper to buy the "gq" boot from other sources. I think I got mine for under $115

3. Phil.H

Phil.H Member

Ordered a pair on Sunday. Delivered to my place by Wednesday. I live in Canada so this seemed damn quick to me. Normally wear an 11D in most shoes so I ordered TTS like most suggest. . How loose should these feel with thin socks? I think I could size down to 10.5 but don't want to risk it not fitting. I'll wear it around for a bit to see how they feel once they've broken in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(excuse the terrible pics, all I've got is a blackberry for a camera at the moment)

4. fungz0r

fungz0r Senior member

The "gq" boots aren't terrible. The logo isn't visible unless you're wearing shorts and someone is really close. By the way it's a bit cheaper to buy the "gq" boot from other sources. I think I got mine for under $115

They loosen up a bit after you wear them around, about the same time as the ankles stop hurting. I think sizing down a half is best

5. Phil.H

Phil.H Member

They loosen up a bit after you wear them around, about the same time as the ankles stop hurting. I think sizing down a half is best

So they should fit snug at first and loosen up? It feels like I've got a good amount of clearance in them right now... guess I'm exchanging them for a half size down.

6. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Same. I recently purchased mine. I tried on the other pair for sizing purposes and just ordered it online. They offered to do it in the store but it was no different.

How did the fit compare?

7. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

Ordered a pair on Sunday. Delivered to my place by Wednesday. I live in Canada so this seemed damn quick to me. Normally wear an 11D in most shoes so I ordered TTS like most suggest. . How loose should these feel with thin socks? I think I could size down to 10.5 but don't want to risk it not fitting. I'll wear it around for a bit to see how they feel once they've broken in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(excuse the terrible pics, all I've got is a blackberry for a camera at the moment)

Size down BRO.

8. bobm

bobm Senior member

I mentioned this sizing issue in the Wolverine 1000 mile boot thread and thought I'd mention it here too. Rememeber, these are work boots and as such are not padded and cushy on the bottom as some other style boots can be. They do tend to be a tad on the large/wide side, but before you start sending boots back or placing and order, wear/try them with a thicker sock. I'm not saying a super heavy wool hunting sock, but a moderately thick wool/wool-blend sock. You may not need to size down. And, I can assure you, after a walk for any distance, your feet will be way more comfortable with the sock aborbing the pavement, than if you are wearing standard thin socks.
    Bob

9. Phil.H

Phil.H Member

Damnnn. Just remembered why ordering a 10.5 in the first place didn't even cross my mind. They were out of stock. I think I'll just keep these ones and wear thick socks with them.

10. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Damnnn. Just remembered why ordering a 10.5 in the first place didn't even cross my mind. They were out of stock. I think I'll just keep these ones and wear thick socks with them.

Yea I'm in the same situation as you. How is the 11 doing?

11. ruben

ruben Senior member

I wear very thick wool socks with my work boots and still need to size down.

LLB customer services said 10.5s will be out of stock for a while.

12. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Argh..................... I really need a pair of boots to handle the rougher weather in New York. Considering Bean's generous customer service it wouldn't be a huge problem for light wear on these and then returning them when the 10.5D come back right?

13. changy

changy Senior member

Argh..................... I really need a pair of boots to handle the rougher weather in New York. Considering Bean's generous customer service it wouldn't be a huge problem for light wear on these and then returning them when the 10.5D come back right?

Which NY are you living in? It as been a pretty nice week for me, aside from the occasional rain. Back on topic, just because they offer a generous policy doesn't mean you should abuse it. Just wait for the 10.5 D

14. Phil.H

Phil.H Member

Yeah I'm probably just going to send these back and wait until the 10.5s are back in stock. They fit a bit better with thick socks but it still doesn't feel right..

15. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

So I'm applying my second and final coating of obeanuf for the season, and I just noticed that boots are different in regards to leather. The Left is has a much more firm leather, while the right one is much softer? Should this be considered a red flag? [​IMG] [​IMG]