Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jmillz15, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Curious_George

Curious_George Senior member

I agree with those saying they run TTS. I recently ordered some in 11.5D and 11.5EE (I'm a 11.5D/E in dress shoes) and found the 11.5D was too narrow/small for me. The 11.5EE fit but I ended up returning them because I didn't really like the shape of the shoe in EE. For 160 they seemed like a well constructed boot but imo unless one is strapped for cash I feel like saving a little more for some Red Wings or Aldens (or similar higher quality boots) is the best option. I guess I wasn't that impressed with them coming from owning some of those boots already.

2. itsjustadrian

itsjustadrian Senior member

I know people like that they're built like tanks and all but they don't look all that great and just look like random work boots. Not sure i see why people are clamouring over these so much.
    +1 they're like "i couldn't afford x-brand so i settled with these" boots.

3. hboogz

hboogz Senior member

please do, I was thinking about getting a pair, but they look terrible in that picture

lol.. The flash can be a bit unforgiving; especially on an older canon point+shoot. I need to treat them, but i think they look great regardless.

4. hboogz

hboogz Senior member

+1 they're like "i couldn't afford x-brand so i settled with these" boots.
    That's biased and is a pretty fucking ignorant way of thinking..but, so be it..

5. hboogz

hboogz Senior member

Here are some pictures. The color in the first pic is the most accurate. I threw in a quick fit pic too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They look great. Thanks for the pics.

6. Jack2000

Jack2000 Senior member

Had mine for a couple of years and they are soft, really soft in the ankle. They break in well.

7. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

But it's so true. I mean can anyone say that they would rather purchase the Katahdin Iron Works over a pair of Redwings or Alden Indy's if money were not an option?

8. hboogz

hboogz Senior member

But it's so true. I mean can anyone say that they would rather purchase the Katahdin Iron Works over a pair of Redwings or Alden Indy's if money were not an option?
    I understand where you may be coming from, slightly. FWIW -- Take a look at this post, which shows a Katahdin un-massacred by an over-zealous flash: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...2&postcount=39 I've had GT's and i just could not deal with that infamous bulbous toe. I just couldn't. Obviously, others can and their colorway's draw a different appeal. I'm going to get either an Alden Indy 405 in Black or a Wolverine 1K in Black (In a separate thread a fit pic actually impressed me). The argument alone about choosing the Katahdin based on price alone or affordability alone is pretty asinine, especially on SF, where there are $300 denim shirts being sold, $1000 Brioni sportscoats, copious amounts of Purple Label everything. The Katahdin is a great value and, personally, a great looking boot. I'd buy it if it were $300+. But it's not for everyone and there does appear to be an underlying brand-conscious sentiment (read:snobbery) when it comes to certain pieces of clothing, accesories,footwear, etc. And to that i say: To each their rightful own. I'mma do me Gov'na..

9. beowolf

beowolf Senior member

I agree, the boots look great and appear to be well made. If a person would rather buy these instead of the more expensive Alden's I don't see that as a bad thing. I like Alden's and all but I would buy these over paying $500+ for a name.

10. BrooklynHighpost

BrooklynHighpost Senior member

Katahdins has great quality, looks exactly like the RW IR, and cost 100 less. Why wouldn't people be excited over this?

11. pokey07

pokey07 Senior member

I just sold my pair of Red Wings and bought the Katahdin's because I like the look more...

And the Indy's look too mature for me. But when I'm not getting drunk at bars and vomitting everywhere I'd looooove a pair of them.

12. givemefive

givemefive Senior member

I've had them bookmarked for 1.5 years. Now that winter is approaching I am finally going to buy.

I've looked at pretty much everything out there and I think the llbeans are exactly what I want.

You can use code 3012422 for free shipping... saves $14

13. Jack2000

Jack2000 Senior member

I can certainly afford Redwings or Aldens and choose the Katahdin. I needed a functional boot and it fits the bill nicely.

14. jarude

jarude Senior member

Redwings are fug, but Indys... you got me there.

15. nocoolonesleft

nocoolonesleft Senior member

Here's a pic of mine with about 2 years wear. I oil them every few months to prevent cracking. By far the most comfortable footwear I've owned and I think they aged nicely. They got a few compliments in the last thread about boots:

[​IMG]