1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jmillz15, Oct 13, 2009.

1. G0079

G0079 Senior member

Toecap + that leather would kick ass. Then again, I wonder how much they charge for those in Japan. They might not compete in value like the Katahdins do.

2. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

I don't think you'll regret ordering tts; I did with mine and they fit perfectly.

Well my size 9 (TTS) arrived and they fit perfectly. Or do they? They seem good but we'll see when my 8.5's (1/2 down) come. Maybe they'll be a "better" fit. The only place I can imagine going down is my toebox. I seem to have some extra space in the 9's. I am pretty sure I'll end up keeping the 9's though.

3. fungz0r

fungz0r Senior member

With more wear, the leather will loosen up so you'll have more room than you thought. I have a size 9 TTS and I think I might be able to even size down, although I just wear thick socks and I'm fine

4. changy

changy Senior member

same here. size 9 is a good fit except too much room in the toe area. ended up with an 8.5. it's a little snug now but hopefully will loosenup

5. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

[​IMG] THE LEFT ONE HAS A VERY LIGHT COATING OF OBENAUF LP

6. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

So as I understand it the idea is to go TTS? Because if so, they're out of size 10.5D which means I'm outta luck for a spare pair of beater winter boots.

7. G0079

G0079 Senior member

Go down 1/2 a size., they are fairly roomy.

8. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

So as I understand it the idea is to go TTS? Because if so, they're out of size 10.5D which means I'm outta luck for a spare pair of beater winter boots.

It depends -maybe on your arch length or something. I wear a 10.5 and that's what I needed in these. I tried a 10 and they were too short.

9. jobg

jobg Member

[​IMG]

THE LEFT ONE HAS A VERY LIGHT COATING OF OBENAUF LP

At last, you have solved the problem. A light coat of Obenauf = very nice rich brown color + waterproofing

10. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

Well my size 9 (TTS) arrived and they fit perfectly. Or do they? They seem good but we'll see when my 8.5's (1/2 down) come. Maybe they'll be a "better" fit. The only place I can imagine going down is my toebox. I seem to have some extra space in the 9's. I am pretty sure I'll end up keeping the 9's though.

The 8.5's arrived today. They are definitely more snug around the toebox (still fits fine, less empty space). With medium thickness socks, they still fit just as fine but all around a tad tighter than the 9's. I am going with the 8.5's which is 1/2 size down from TTS. I think with some stretching they'll be perfect.

11. zoso1699

zoso1699 New Member

I've been looking for a rugged boot for fall/winter that can handle some snow/rain but still be comfortable and made with quality. i need something that can take a beat down. this thread tells me this is one of the best boots out there.

is sno seal preferred for water proofing, giving it a darker coat which fades after awhile or it fades quickly?

also, when wearing with a regular (not too thick or thin) wool sock, is it insulated enough to keep warm?

does the tread slip on ice or is the grip good enough?

please let me know, thanks for your help.

12. asdf

asdf Senior member

I've been looking for a rugged boot for fall/winter that can handle some snow/rain but still be comfortable and made with quality. i need something that can take a beat down. this thread tells me this is one of the best boots out there.

is sno seal preferred for water proofing, giving it a darker coat which fades after awhile or it fades quickly?

also, when wearing with a regular (not too thick or thin) wool sock, is it insulated enough to keep warm?

does the tread slip on ice or is the grip good enough?

please let me know, thanks for your help.

I use dubbin, some people use sno-seal, some people use Obenauf's. It darkens the leather quite a bit (they come light-coloured). I can only speak for dubbin, but it fades/burnishes nicely.

They're uninsulated, but I've never had cold feet in them.

The tread isn't the best, but I'm from Canada, wear them in snow and slush all the time, and don't really have any problems. Harden the fuck up, and a few years down the road you can get them resoled with a lug sole if it bothers you that much.

13. zoso1699

zoso1699 New Member

I use dubbin, some people use sno-seal, some people use Obenauf's. It darkens the leather quite a bit (they come light-coloured). I can only speak for dubbin, but it fades/burnishes nicely.

They're uninsulated, but I've never had cold feet in them.

The tread isn't the best, but I'm from Canada, wear them in snow and slush all the time, and don't really have any problems. Harden the fuck up, and a few years down the road you can get them resoled with a lug sole if it bothers you that much.

Thanks man, appreciate the answer. If they can last through a Canadian winter, they should be fine in Chicago. Well, i'm a size 10.5 TTS but they don't have that in stock. I'll go with the 10 and see how that fits, cross my fingers.

14. fungz0r

fungz0r Senior member

I do recall somebody selling 10.5 katahdin's in buy sell, should go check it out

15. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

What type of belts are you guys wearing with your Katahdins?