Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jmillz15, Oct 13, 2009.

1. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

[​IMG]
    Had these for 2 or 3 years - treated with SnoSeal a couple, three times - melted in w/hair dryer. I usually wear these in sloppy weather. IMO for the $ you can't beat 'em - can't see spending 2x as much for Red Wings.

2. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

I just got shipping confirmation for my size 9 Katahdin's. I went TTS. I hope it was not a mistake. I might go ahead and place an order for a 8.5 just to compare.

Edit: I'm so impatient I just ordered 1/2 size down, 8.5D.

I don't think you'll regret ordering tts; I did with mine and they fit perfectly.

3. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

If you like your shoes snug (keep in mind they soften up/loosen), go half size down.

4. wannabeagiant

wannabeagiant Senior member

[​IMG]
    Had these for 2 or 3 years - treated with SnoSeal a couple, three times - melted in w/hair dryer. I usually wear these in sloppy weather. IMO for the $ you can't beat 'em - can't see spending 2x as much for Red Wings.

I agree. They've been great for me in winter with a coat of sno seal at the start of the season. When the soles wear down, I might replace with a lug sole for better winter traction.

5. redarmy3

redarmy3 Member

Is there something different about this leather and those on dress shoes? Everyone keeps talking about snoseal and obenaufs - why couldn't you just polish them with meltonian or something?

For those that want a darker color, wouldn't this darken the boot (if you used a deeper shade?)

6. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Is there something different about this leather and those on dress shoes? Everyone keeps talking about snoseal and obenaufs - why couldn't you just polish them with meltonian or something?

For those that want a darker color, wouldn't this darken the boot (if you used a deeper shade?)

No - I use the Snoseal for waterproofing and it does darken the leather. But, hey - these are work boots.

7. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

So SnoSeal helps keep snow out? What does shit like Obenaufs do?

8. wannabeagiant

wannabeagiant Senior member

It's not a smooth leather. It is fairly thick and more of a nubuck type (correct me if I'm wrong) so they won't take a shine with polish. The snoseal is wax based and gives them water resistance.

9. changy

changy Senior member

hwo do yo get 20% off from bean website? did a search for coupons and i only came up with free shipping.

10. redarmy3

redarmy3 Member

It's not a smooth leather. It is fairly thick and more of a nubuck type (correct me if I'm wrong) so they won't take a shine with polish. The snoseal is wax based and gives them water resistance.

So anyone know what polishing them will do?

So are they more like Timberland boots?

11. fungz0r

fungz0r Senior member

You can't really polish them in the sense of polishing leather dress shoes since the leather is not smooth, the polish will probably just stay on and not shine.

And no they aren't like timberland boots, timberland boots are ugly

12. jobg

jobg Member

hwo do yo get 20% off from bean website? did a search for coupons and i only came up with free shipping.

I just placed an order and used the autumn10 coupon saved me 20% off my purchase

13. otc

otc Senior member

They can definitely take a shine reasonably well (at least on the toe cap)....the sno seal is just to waterproof them.

The sno-seal directions even says you can go ahead and apply normal shoe polish after you have waterproofed them (I would do wax only...forgo the meltonian-style cream)

14. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Soo I am still undecided about the katahdins vs. the Chippewa GQ boots. Thoughts? It's pretty much the toecap and color, I think..Also not sure if GQ is goodyear welted, since it doesn't say on Zappos...

15. changy

changy Senior member