• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling ALL eBay Sellers....!!!!

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
You must not like capitalism...

fing02[1].gif

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kitontini when you sell something, looking what happened to it afterwards is like looking into the toilet bowl before you flush.

One of the comments of the week.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be fair, I have met Kitontini through PM's here, he is a genuinely nice fellow - I think he has let his frustration overcome his normal sense of judgement, i.e. good advice worded as criticism (basically called constructive criticism) has been taken as a form of malevolence.

Kitontini, you are just starting to break bread with selling, and breaking bread does not make you a great baker. It will take a while, and some quite considerable effort. Always remember the old Roman quote "It may be a bad law, but it is still a law". The system is not perfect, but it is still a system.

Last edited:

Kitontini

Reaction score
I do believe that I'm getting angry with everyone because I was simply asking "Has anyone felt this frustration before?" and I get bombarded with crap about how everything I'm doing is wrong and how much it sucks. Clearly it was a simple yes or no question that became personal.

But to make some of you happy, I am changing my **** up. Just bought a white sheet for background purposes and I'll be taking one man's advice to look into a local store for a mannequin (thanks for that).

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do believe that I'm getting angry with everyone because I was simply asking "Has anyone felt this frustration before?" and I get bombarded with crap about how everything I'm doing is wrong and how much it sucks. Clearly it was a simple yes or no question that became personal.
But to make some of you happy, I am changing my **** up. Just bought a white sheet for background purposes and I'll be taking one man's advice to look into a local store for a mannequin (thanks for that).

Constructive criticism man. I spent 20 bucks on a ****** mannequin, I take pics with my phone, and I use a white wall with natural daylight to take pics. Before I started doing that I'd probably be lucky to get a third of the price I get for anything I sell.

We're trying to help you fix the source of your frustration because its more beneficial in the long run than agreeing with your rant. Its a given that selling **** on eBay is a major PITA

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To be fair, I have met Kitontini through PM's here, he is a genuinely nice fellow - I think he has let his frustration overcome his normal sense of judgement, i.e. good advice worded as criticism (basically called constructive criticism) has been taken as a form of malevolence.

Kitontini, you are just starting to break bread with selling, and breaking bread does not make you a great baker. It will take a while, and some quite considerable effort. Always remember the old Roman quote "It may be a bad law, but it is still a law". The system is not perfect, but it is still a system.

.....aaand the word 'system' derives from the Latin 'sewer' or 'sewage' if memory serves. :uhoh:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We look forward to your new and upcoming and improved ads. The use of an accent lamp will provide a warm glow too. You can easily thrift a nice used lamp on your next run and for additional fun, try to flip the lamp itself using photos from your other ads, stating, 'why just LOOK at the beautiful glow this lamp gives!' :)

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Excellent! :)

Thing is when I buy clothes online, I want to see what they look like when worn, no doubt many others do as well. Probably why just about all online clothing retailers always use mannequins or models to show their garments. Never on hangers. Of course that's why brick'n'mortar stores use mannequins, to show off what they're selling.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread makes me happy.

We have a lot of people who post massive ranting *****-fits and then get angry at the responses, but very rarely to they ever result in real chance.

All credit to Kitontini for (finally) manning up and making some kind of change.

You might also consider using some kind of subtle template for your auctions. They often look more respectable with am html based border and colour scheme.

Kitontini

Reaction score
Ok, since pictures seem to be the main focus of things... and many of you say "daylight lighting" is usually the best.... How do I use daylight lighting when my windows only face west? If you dont understand west windows, that means my sunlight is coming in during sundown. Not the best lighting from sundown :D

And ManOfLint... Lol to the buying a lamp and selling it!

Oh, and has anyone bought a mannequin online? Should I get a torso or full body?? Sorry for all the questions and for the ranting. I was just angry at the world. I'm sure we've all been there. Lol

Last edited:

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, since pictures seem to be the main focus of things... and many of you say "daylight lighting" is usually the best.... How do I use daylight lighting when my windows only face west? If you dont understand west windows, that means my sunlight is coming in during sundown. Not the best lighting from sundown
biggrin.gif

And ManOfLint... Lol to the buying a lamp and selling it!
Oh, and has anyone bought a mannequin online? Should I get a torso or full body?? Sorry for all the questions and for the ranting. I was just angry at the world. I'm sure we've all been there. Lol

We (the missus and me) have a 20$ (female) mannequin from amazon that we bought while liquidating a bunch of old, custom saville row women's tweed suits, seems to work fine for most men's stuff too. Failing that, use yourself as the mannequin.

Go outside to take the pic. Background makes it stand out a bit more and helps with lighting. If you cant get a white wall with natural light, just go for natural light. Seems to work okay for most sellers. That's what I'm currently doing.

I can PM you a link to one of my current auctions, but I think you're not meant to post them on the board and I'd rather not risk it if that's the case.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads