1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Calling all Canadians

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Heron, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Heron

Heron Well-Known Member

I was wondering for those Canadians out there what your experience has been with duties and taxes with the importing of shoes, shirts and suits when buying on-line from other countries? I know the GST will most likely get charged plus a handling fee by Canada Post of $5 but do duties apply to any of these items?

Thanks in advance.

2. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

In the past my experience in shipping to Canada has been nightmarish. More often than not I have had people refuse merchandise because the additional charges put it out of range.

JJF

3. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

Really? I've never really had a problem getting goods from the US. The only issue I've had with ebay or online retailers is a slightly higher shipping fee because the destination of my package is "international." However, on larger or bulky items I can see shipping getting a little out of hand.  

Aaron

4. FIHTies

In the past my experience in shipping to Canada has been nightmarish.
    Really? I've never really had a problem getting goods from the US. The only issue I've had with ebay or online retailers is a slightly higher shipping fee because the destination of my package is "international." Â However, on larger or bulky items I can see shipping getting a little out of hand. Â Aaron
    I am referring to the added customs and duties associated with clothing being imported (as new) from the US to Canada. The actual shipping charges are as you mentioned only slightly more (UPS offers a Ground service to Canada.) JJF

5. water

water Senior member

Everything valued over $20 (on the customs slip) is charged tax plus handling. Strangely, sometimes you get tagged with it, sometimes not. It almost seems like it is a roll of the dice. The only real problem I have had is people recording the value of the item as far beyond what I actually paid. For example, I bought a tie via e-bay for $25USD but the seller wrote $100USD on the customs slip. I get charged a $20CDN customs fee. I was not particularly happy about that and am currently trying to see if I can recoup some of it from customs. Of course, good luck getting someone to answer a phone there. [​IMG]

6. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

What about NAFTA? The free trade agreement amongst US, Canada & Mexico. I thought goods between the 3 countries flow thru duty-free? I have never been charged custom or duty for things shipped from Canada.

7. Pedro

Pedro Member

If your package is over $20 CAD ($60 CAD if it is declared as a gift), you have to pay taxes. First you will be charged 10% on the price of the item and then the GST, PST taxes on the total (price + 10%). At that you have to add the $5 of handling. you will find everything there : http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel/canadians-e.html

8. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

This isn't relevant to Canadia, but...

When I've ordered stuff from the UK to be shipped into the US, the customs tag (from the retailer) almost always significantly undervalues the goods. Most recently, I ordered two shirts, a tie and some silk links, probably about $120, and the customs sticker said "shirt, $20.00". Maybe it was pounds, but still.

9. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Grumble...no wonder we have a federal budgetary surplus up here in Canuckistan. Massive taxation, larger than necessary "contributions" to Employment Insurance (with pretty sad benefits) and customs fees.

I got a great deal on a hard drive recently but when it came to the door the customs fees were about as much as I paid for the drive. First time in a long time I had to pay duty fees and only because the seller didn't mark it down like he said he would.

I ask every American seller to declare the package to be gift or below $20. I have no problem cheating my government since they seem to intent on cheating me. I will pay customs fees no more forever.

10. CaptChaos

CaptChaos Senior member

NAFTA only applies to goods that are made in the US, Canada or Mexico. These goods can pass duty-free across the border but still can get hit with the federal and provincial sales taxes (14-15%) plus potential customs brokerage fees depending on the method of transport (standard post, UPS, Fedex).

11. fkl118

fkl118 Senior member

My experience is that almost everything declared at over $100 or so will get taxed. Less than that and it's random. Regarding NAFTA, most goods made in US or Mexico will be duty-free but not necessarily tax-free. That is, you still have to pay GST+PST/HST. Goods not made in North America might get hit with an additional duty depending on country of manufacture and category of item. Also, the customs brokerage fees for UPS, Fedex etc. are ridiculous. They're around $45 (that's on top of the taxes etc you owe). That's why I only accept parcels by USPS / CanadaPost which only charges $5.

12. hermes

hermes Senior member

this is all correct
    usa made goods are duty free but not free of GST/PST
    goods from the uk or imported from the usa that are not usa manufactured goods are subject to duty and everything else

but it is so hit and miss sometimes
    i've ordered shirts from the uk that get to my door without any charges whatsoever other than that canada post $5 parcel charge and other times, i get hit with the whole lot of duty and so forth

so you never know what to expect

13. FIHTies

I dont get this...

You are saying that if I were to ship goods via USPS the brokerage fees would be significantly lower?

In fact the most recent situation was a woman who ordered a coat on sale for her kid and then didnt want to pay the $50 COD charge that UPS had waiting for her when it arrived which effectively killed the bargain on the coat. I assumed that it was the customs fee not the brokerage fee.

Please clarify.

Thanks in advance.

JJF

14. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

Besides committing fraud, you are cheating your fellow Canadians, not your government. Don't be so proud.

15. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I hate to get all Ayn Rand here but every dollar the government takes in more than it needs to meet its legitimate expenses is theft. If they want to tax me into penury for all of their social experimentation, they'll have to work for it. Guilt trips don't.

16. Pressfan

Pressfan Well-Known Member

The brokerage charges seem very high.  When I receive items by mail, Canada Post collects PST, GST, the $5.00 handling charge and any duty.  Brooks Brothers uses DHL and several weeks after shipment, I receive an invoice for PST, GST and any duty as well as the $5.00 handling charge.  I have never been charged a higher brokerage fee, although the delivery charges can be high if rush delivery is required.

The problem with using USPS/Canada Post is the lengthy delivery time.  Packages from Brooks Brothers take 2-3 days using DHL; J. Press uses the post and packages take at minimum 2 weeks and often longer.

It pays to examine the tax/duty invoice carefully as I have been overcharged on occassion.  This requires filing a Customs Informal Adjustment Request, which you would also complete if the goods were returned so taxes/duty would be refunded.  The $5.00 handling fee is non-refundable.

17. Ed13

Ed13 Senior member

FIHTies,

Yes USPS/Canada Post is much cheaper than UPS, FedEx or Purolator. I will either refuse to buy from a seller who only uses these couriers for shipping or have the package delivered to a friend in the US. If the speed of delivery is an issue I think USPS has an expedited mail service for an additional fee.

18. Heron

Heron Well-Known Member