• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Callahan Frock Coat?

TheValleyDoctor

Reaction score
Greetings all,

So, I am looking for an older, yet classic look, and as a fan of the BBC series Doctor Who, Matt Smith's frock coat caught my eye. I have been searching numerous thrift shops, but have been unable to find anything close. I already have a wool overcoat, and am looking for something a little lighter to wear in fall, but that still has a similar style; I enjoy that the frock coat has a bit of flair to the bottom while being more socially acceptable than a trench coat. The only one I was able to find was online, at a website known as Gentleman's Emporium. However, the coat in question is 70% polyester, 18% wool, and 12% rayon, for $150. Is this a good investment? Does anyone have a better idea of where to find what I'm looking for? Thanks!

robbersarb

Reaction score
I own a replica frock coat that I picked up on ebay for £35 in a formalware clearance, it's 100% wool
I'd recommend shopping around as although that coat looks good the polyester content will mean you'll sweat through it sadly!

TheValleyDoctor

Reaction score
I was afraid of that; thanks! I'll definitely check eBay; would you have any other suggestions as well?

robbersarb

Reaction score
Savvyrow.com have some great buys and tweedman's vintage also does a lot of stuff!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 56 17.6%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 108 34.0%
  • 8”

Votes: 93 29.2%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 35 11.0%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.2%