1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by whnay., Aug 8, 2007.

1. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

I started playing it last night. It's strange to see the standard Tom Clancy War Hardon story executed with CoD's cinematic style (as opposed to the usual embarrassing efforts out of Red Storm and their subcontractors). Strange and really pretty disturbing, given the modern the context. Gameplay is similarly schizophrenic. Very much feels like a standard WW2 shooter with modern gun models. Don't go in expecting realism. Overall, I'd say it's a very odd experience so far. Not entirely unpleasant, but not exactly good, either. If you were expecting Call of Duty's narrative and ideological comic simplicity applied to the modern world with the exact same gameplay as every other Call of Duty game, I guess you'll be less surprised than I was.
    You should maybe stop expecting games published by EA/Ubisoft to be scholarly dissertations of the ethical ambiguities of war. Would you want that from a big game developer anyway (given the current work of big game developers)? We all know how ridiculous MGS storylines are -- I'd rather a game be mindless.

2. whnay.

whnay. Well-Known Member

You should maybe stop expecting games published by EA/Ubisoft to be scholarly dissertations of the ethical ambiguities of war. Would you want that from a big game developer anyway (given the current work of big game developers)? We all know how ridiculous MGS storylines are -- I'd rather a game be mindless.
    +1.

I played the MP extensively last night. It favors people who play as the unlocks serve up considerable advantage (ie - gun sights, silencers, etc.). But the custom class and skill attributes are a nice change from the everyday shooter. The gameplay is still a bit arcady for me as I'm much more into "realistic" shooters like GRAW and RS but overall a very good MP experience.

3. CityHunter

CityHunter Well-Known Member

At least until Starcraft 2 hits shelves. [​IMG]

Goodbye social life.

4. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Well-Known Member

I played the MP extensively last night. It favors people who play as the unlocks serve up considerable advantage (ie - gun sights, silencers, etc.). But the custom class and skill attributes are a nice change from the everyday shooter. The gameplay is still a bit arcady for me as I'm much more into "realistic" shooters like GRAW and RS but overall a very good MP experience.

Thanks for the quick review! My normal online shooter buddy is having problems getting it to work with Vista 64, and I haven't had enough time away from work to play the game yet. I don't necessarily mind arcade-y. Did any classes seem unbalanced?

5. whnay.

whnay. Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick review! My normal online shooter buddy is having problems getting it to work with Vista 64, and I haven't had enough time away from work to play the game yet. I don't necessarily mind arcade-y. Did any classes seem unbalanced?
    Spec ops with the default weapons is tough, if only because the iron sights on the mp5 are horrid. I'm running an assault / spec ops class variant with assualt weapons and spec op skill abilities. Its worked alright so far. Overall, however, I'd say its really just map dependent. For example, the map Overgrown favors snipers as its filled with wide open terrian and lots of shrub cover. If your a fan of the older COD's you will like it. The single player is the best I've played in a long time, Halo 3 included.

6. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Well-Known Member

I played a lot of halo 2 multiplayer and loved it to bits. Halo 3 sucks compared to CoD4.

Honestly CoD 4 blows halo 3 out of the water.

7. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

That's not saying much because Halo 3 is one of the single most mind-numbingly dull experiences I've had in a video game in awhile.

But I really like CoD4. Fantastic game and the multiplayer is quite good too. I don't think games should be judged on their mp alone, and the single player on this one definitely passes in my book.

8. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Well-Known Member

The AC-130 level was an amazing piece of post-modernesque gaming, but man was it incredibly disturbing and hard to get through. I was dwelling on it for the rest of the day.

9. whnay.

whnay. Well-Known Member

The AC-130 level was an amazing piece of post-modernesque gaming, but man was it incredibly disturbing and hard to get through. I was dwelling on it for the rest of the day.

ROFL you can't be serious?

10. Manny Calavera

ROFL you can't be serious?
    Have you ever seen Hercules action footage? It is essentially a video game. There is a weird disconnect whilst killing people that you don't see in traditional warfare. That portion of the game is art imitates life imitates art.

11. whnay.

whnay. Well-Known Member

Have you ever seen Hercules action footage? It is essentially a video game. There is a weird disconnect whilst killing people that you don't see in traditional warfare. That portion of the game is art imitates life imitates art.
    All airbased warfare has an element of disconnect.

12. Handlethevibe

Handlethevibe Well-Known Member

...There's hilarious real life AC-130 Clips of them gunning down terrorists taking shits in fields and whatnot.

13. Manny Calavera

...There's hilarious real life AC-130 Clips of them gunning down terrorists taking shits in fields and whatnot.
    Hilarious? Terrorists? Really?[​IMG] Anyway, that's the point I'm trying to make. The clinical and nonchalant nature of what is done. You're shooting down specks that disappear in a puff of smoke on a video screen. I'm impressed with the section within the game, it was just incredibly throttling to think this is modern warfare, where someone's life might is as insignificant as a couple of pixels.

14. Dmax

Dmax Well-Known Member

One thing I found annoying about the whole Call Of Duty franchise is that the AI enemies will keep spawning infinitely until you advance forward to a certain spot and then no more enemies appear. Standing back and trying to take out enemies from afar is useless since they are immediately replaced out of nowhere by fresh troops.

15. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

I know what you mean; I only saw it played and it bothered me.

16. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

I have an extremely dark sense of humor, but I draw the line at actual footage of actual people being killed.

17. whnay.

whnay. Well-Known Member

Anyway, that's the point I'm trying to make. The clinical and nonchalant nature of what is done. You're shooting down specks that disappear in a puff of smoke on a video screen. I'm impressed with the section within the game, it was just incredibly throttling to think this is modern warfare, where someone's life might is as insignificant as a couple of pixels.
    Better than a unnoticable spec on an air sight 10,000 feet in the air like in WWII.

Whether in an Abrams, Apache, or a AC-130 technologies like FLIR cameras insure less people get killed, if the Iraq War was fought even 30 years ago the collateral damage would be unheard of. Some see the footage and squirm others see it and realise that the alternative would be far far worse.

18. Handlethevibe

Handlethevibe Well-Known Member

I have an extremely dark sense of humor, but I draw the line at actual footage of actual people being killed.

Well maybe not hilarous, but as long as it's not babies being eaten or innocent civilians being killed, it doesn't bother me much.

19. whnay.

whnay. Well-Known Member

Well maybe not hilarous, but as long as it's not babies being eaten or innocent civilians being killed, it doesn't bother me much.
    I think the argument they are trying to make is that in fact the people we are killing from 15,000 feet are innocent. Of course its totally innocent behavior to be roaming a field in the dead of night planting "devices" near a busy road or meeting your buddies for a early morning rpg tossing but those are just insignificant details.

20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Hilarious? Terrorists? Really?[​IMG]

Anyway, that's the point I'm trying to make. The clinical and nonchalant nature of what is done. You're shooting down specks that disappear in a puff of smoke on a video screen. I'm impressed with the section within the game, it was just incredibly throttling to think this is modern warfare, where someone's life might is as insignificant as a couple of pixels.

Makes me think of the Orson Scott Card sci-fi novel Ender's Game, which I read about a jillion years ago.