• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

call for pix: RRLs being worn, please

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
the plot thickens. i could have sworn I'd heard reports of a 9.5 boot opening... Ima go beat up the fool that tol' me them lies.
It's probably true. The thing to keep in mind is that you can't think of the slims and bootcuts in the same way you do Levi 511's and 527's: there is no set standard. RRL production has changed from Japan, back to the US, back to Japan, and now back in the US if I'm not mistaken, all the while fluctuating their tagged/measured sizes on similarly-named jeans.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
It's probably true. The thing to keep in mind is that you can't think of the slims and bootcuts in the same way you do Levi 511's and 527's: there is no set standard. RRL production has changed from Japan, back to the US, back to Japan, and now back in the US if I'm not mistaken, all the while fluctuating their tagged/measured sizes on similarly-named jeans.

yeah, that's what I've gathered... looking at your pix, yours look to be first-generation japanese, right?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Based on back patch design (older, simple RRL logo), tag by the zipper (does not mention the words "ringspun" or "Japan" seen on newer models and is also 4 sizes undertagged), and availability on ebay, I'd have to say yes, both of my pairs are the 1st Gen Japanese.

smw356

Reaction score
fwiw my bootcuts (tagged size 34 true to size) have a 9" hem and a 8.5" knee, my other pair that was not true to size was much much looser in theigh and knee with a wider leg opening.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just got a pair of these that I got from a forum member. They are REALLY REALLY nice. Perfect slim fit from knee to ankle, and no bagginess at the knee at all, which is awesome for a raw jean. They aren't as stiff as APC or Nudies, but are a very nice dark indigo color with a little bit of texture. I'll post some pics later tonight.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, heres the pic. These jeans are quite low rise and probably the best fitting pair of jeans I own other than my Ande Whalls.

CCS Thermal
Rag & Bone Midnight Blue Blazer
RRL Slim Fit
John Varvatos ankle boots

r1az4.jpg

Studio27

Reaction score
Attachment 2633 These came in today. Slim Bootcuts. tagged 32x32, actually measure 16.25 in the waist, and 33-34 length. They're a little big in the waist & inseam, but not terrible. natural inseam is a 32, and I wear about a 32 in 501s, albeit not "tight" at all. Shoes have a 1" heel on them. leg opening measures ~9.5"

Seafinch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Ok, heres the pic. These jeans are quite low rise and probably the best fitting pair of jeans I own other than my Ande Whalls.

CCS Thermal
Rag & Bone Midnight Blue Blazer
RRL Slim Fit
John Varvatos ankle boots

r1az4.jpg

Those look good, I'm glad you like them.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Studio27
Attachment 2633 These came in today. Slim Bootcuts. tagged 32x32, actually measure 16.25 in the waist, and 33-34 length. They're a little big in the waist & inseam, but not terrible. natural inseam is a 32, and I wear about a 32 in 501s, albeit not "tight" at all. Shoes have a 1" heel on them. leg opening measures ~9.5"
I definitely would have sized down at least one (or more) if I were you. Depending on mileage, they'll stretch out at least another inch. Judging from the tagged sizing and a visual of the rise I'm guessing these are the newer Americans? What's the patch in the back look like? I like how they fit now but I really think that's how you'd want them to fit down the line.

Studio27

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I definitely would have sized down at least one (or more) if I were you. Depending on mileage, they'll stretch out at least another inch.

Judging from the tagged sizing and a visual of the rise I'm guessing these are the newer Americans? What's the patch in the back look like? I like how they fit now but I really think that's how you'd want them to fit down the line.

I may yet, there's no mileage on them -- still have tags. i took the picture basically as i was trying them on for the first time. back pockets are blank, RRL leather patch. I'll snap a pic later. i'd rather just trade sizes isntead of selling & rebuying a pair
musicboohoo[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads