Californication makes Entourage look like a cartoon.. What an awesome, awesome show.

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Flambeur, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Californication makes itself look like a cartoon. Apparently washed-up paunchy writers with drinking and smoking problems are catnip to every improbably gorgeous twenty-something who crosses their path. And they soon forgive the theft of their watershed novel. To say nothing of Runkle and his wife.

But it's got entertainment value despite the cast of often unsympathetic characters.

i wish there was more drinking and fucking and wrunkel, and less of the stupid "i want my girlfriend who i never married" shit.

So season 3 has potential.. sort of.

2. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

and more rollergirl or whatever the fuck her name is.

3. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

The one with big ears?
    She should have been in Dazed and Confused.

4. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

The dialogue is pretty retarded, and the improbablities really try my patience. Entertaining, nonetheless.

5. Lel

Lel Senior member

Whoa, 4 different nude girls in the first show, can they really keep that up?

They had, more or less, had the same bodies though... and some were just sort of thrown in for the sake of it. Not that I'm complaining though.

6. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I love Californication but there was no way in hell that you couldn't say that season two was just as cartoonish and adolescent as anything in Entourage. I could sit here for half an hour and chronicle the cartoonishness of the last six episodes alone.

That said, the death of Lou Ashby bummed me out a little. I would have gave him his own show.

7. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

That said, the death of Lou Ashby bummed me out a little. I would have gave him his own show.

He was an awesome character.

8. delirium

delirium Senior member

just finished second season
    very entertaining

i actually really like the dialogue, so i don't get the hate.

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

He was an awesome character.

his statue on his grave was classic (the peek under the kilt)!!

10. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

his statue on his grave was classic (the peek under the kilt)!!

Yes! The statue was soooo badass. Swinging a golf club with 3 foot dick hanging from under his kilt!

11. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

I really like the show. That said, some of the hipster speechifying from Duchovny is cringe-worthy. The whole, point I'd guess. The ex wife's a little annoying, but the daughter is a superb actress for one so young. And the most normal/mature despite the Goth look. Another point, I assume. Looking forward to Season Three.

12. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

I thought the Gatsby parallels they were going for was interesting, and Ashby's character was fun and I was sorry to see him go but I'm not sure how else you'd write him out of being Duchovny's drinking buddy. After two solid seasons, it doesn't hold up to some of the great dramas/comedies of our time, but it's a fun half-hour I have no problem downloading once a week.

13. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Senior member

Californication makes itself look like a cartoon. Apparently washed-up paunchy writers with drinking and smoking problems are catnip to every improbably gorgeous twenty-something who crosses their path. And they soon forgive the theft of their watershed novel. To say nothing of Runkle and his wife. But it's got entertainment value despite the cast of often unsympathetic characters.
    The dialogue is pretty retarded, and the improbablities really try my patience. Entertaining, nonetheless.
    I agree with you guys 100%. Worst parts of season 2 for me were 1) Any time he spends with his annoying daughter. 2) 90's Nirvana NYC flashback. That was horrid.

14. unpainted huffheinz

unpainted huffheinz Senior member

90's Nirvana NYC flashback. That was horrid.

I think that was done to remove any sympathy for Karen (or whatever his sorta wife's name is). Maybe McElhone might not be back for another season?

I find the show more interesting because of parallels to Duchovny's personal life, and how the joke seems to ultimately be on him.

15. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I think that was done to remove any sympathy for Karen (or whatever his sorta wife's name is).

It bloody well worked.