Californication makes Entourage look like a cartoon.. What an awesome, awesome show.

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Flambeur, Nov 14, 2008.

1. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

The writing has declined in the last season, and tonite, officially hit rock bottom.

Bye bye

2. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

yeah, that was pretty fucking horrible.

3. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

beyond ludicrous at this point.

4. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

If you'd like a fascinating and real-deal version of the Hank Mooney character, read about the life and times of Charles Bukowski (the protagonist of Californication is loosely based on his life as hard-drinking, womanizing writer) via any of his work. I'd recommend 'Women' as a starting point.

Bukowski life was that of a pathetic and extremely ugly postal worker with literary aspirations. His prose is shit , so as his life. Please don't perpetuate a retarded myth that he was something like Borrows or Kerouac or even Hunter Thompson.

5. superego

superego Senior member

Bukowski life was that of a pathetic and extremely ugly postal worker with literary aspirations. His prose is shit , so as his life. Please don't perpetuate a retarded myth that he was something like Borrows or Kerouac or even Hunter Thompson.

LOL! You do realize Bukowski was the inspiration for Californication, right? His ugliness and grittiness, both literal and figurative, is what made him compelling. Life at its core isn't pretty after all.

What's with the hate for Bukowski though? Even if you don't care for his writing, I'm not sure how he becomes someone you actively dislike...

6. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

how fucking depressing was that shit last night? ugh.

had a shoutout to bukowski, too.

7. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Was definitely depressing. Was that the season (series?) finale?

The thing I don't understand is why Karen, after so many inexplicable fuck ups, forgives Hank, yet when something happens that Hank did in the distant past, during a time when there was no reason for him to be loyal, when he had no reason to know who the girl he fucked was or how old she was, she goes apeshit.

I understand the whole "Straw that broke the camel's back" idea that they're going with here. But after a season of monotonous filler, in the one episode that had a compelling story concept, everyone acts completely out of character and it leaves me wondering if there was a different set of episodes up to 11 that they just scrapped and replaced with that garbage we'd been watching.

How many "years" has it been since the start of the show, anyway? Becka looks like she aged from 13-18.

8. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

9. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I thought it was a good episode. Then again, I haven't seen seasons 1 and 2.

10. racetrack

racetrack Senior member

It was better than the Dexter finale.

+1

For sure.

Would have been better if the daughter spontaneously combusted... but we can't always get what we want.

Don't understand how the girl thinks getting Hank arrested for statutory rape is helping him.. but w/e.

11. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

I've never seen a show lose its way from its amazing opening show to the absolute shite of this last season. The wife's character is useless. The girlfriends are ugly and comical. The bald guy's wife is a gorgon and I've never seen a woman with such innate hotness plunge into such complete grossness as Kathleen Turner. The dream sequence had a little of the show's original edge but even the daughter (the only consistently excellent character) has been softened. Rick Springfield was the highlight. Rick frigging Springfield! LOL As for Duchovny's hipster groovy talk? So played. Cancel.

Another example of the difficulty of consistent writing (see Dexter Season 4, last 6 episodes). Yet, Larry David managed to be brilliant all the way through the latest season.

12. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

this x 10000

Was definitely depressing. Was that the season (series?) finale?

The thing I don't understand is why Karen, after so many inexplicable fuck ups, forgives Hank, yet when something happens that Hank did in the distant past, during a time when there was no reason for him to be loyal, when he had no reason to know who the girl he fucked was or how old she was, she goes apeshit.

I understand the whole "Straw that broke the camel's back" idea that they're going with here. But after a season of monotonous filler, in the one episode that had a compelling story concept, everyone acts completely out of character and it leaves me wondering if there was a different set of episodes up to 11 that they just scrapped and replaced with that garbage we'd been watching.

How many "years" has it been since the start of the show, anyway? Becka looks like she aged from 13-18.

13. tor

tor Senior member

1. When Hank said that Karen thought of Mia as her own daughter, was he exaggerating to try to get her to feel bad, or are we to assume that stuff that we didn't see happened? I just don't think that based on what I saw I can really believe that Karen treated Mia like her own daughter. Just a little thing that bothered me.

2. Becca in the beginning of the season was consistently a little shit. What made her change?

3. Does it really bother everyone so much that Hank unknowingly slept with a 16 year old? I think they could have come up with something a little more earthshattering if they're going to make it like this huge thing that's been bothering Hank for the last three years?

14. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^yes, like a 16 year old boy. just as plausible as the rest of this show.

15. tor

tor Senior member

^[​IMG] But see, in a twisted way, that would have made Hank's anguish a little more believable. No, instead he slept with a 16 year old girl who looks 20 something and who seduced him. [​IMG] Then again, if it was ghey sex, the sexiness factor of the show would have been ruined before it took flight.