Californication makes Entourage look like a cartoon.. What an awesome, awesome show.

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Flambeur, Nov 14, 2008.

1. superfans124

superfans124 Senior member

Beijing -> D.C. -> HK -> Beijing -> now where?
    Isn't next week the season finale anyway? Springfield was the most interesting character on the show. Hope I look as youthful at 60.

Is it? then good, there shouldn't be any problem wrapping a season by topping this week's meh-tastic episode, other than the drugs, it's straight day-time NBC soap material. I felt the only good episode this season is last week's, the writers need to take a break, apparantly they've all hit the writers' block the way they imagined what Hank Moody's gotten into.

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I just got showtime. Can i get into the show from watching the current season?
    IMO, you should start from the beginning (which is great), and cut out sometime mid-season 2. If 4 is redeeming, then resume.

3. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Senior member

one-hit wonder??!!!! "jessie's girl" might be his biggest hit but he also sang the classics "i've done everything for you", "taxi dancing", "don't talk to strangers", "what kind of fool am i", "affair of the heart" and "love somebody" which was in the soundtrack of his major film "hard to hold".... he is a god! [​IMG]

If memory serves, he was also on a soap opera at some point. Don't know which tail was wagging the dog, but given how they were humping his songs during this story arc, I'd say it was music, and that he's trying to make a comeback.

Liked Hank better in earlier seasons when he was semi-self-destructive.

4. Matt

Matt [email protected]

IMO, you should start from the beginning (which is great), and cut out sometime mid-season 2. If 4 is redeeming, then resume.
    correct.

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Eh. I started with the current season from the begining. Watched 4 episodes and I'm getting into it. Definitely funny stuff.

6. willpower

willpower Senior member

Worst drinking game ever:

Every time his daughter smiles, take a shot

7. pseudonym

pseudonym Senior member

Worst drinking game ever:

Every time his daughter speaks, take a shot.

Fixed.

8. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

Worst daughter ever:

Every time she's on screen, take a shot.

fixed teh fix

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

If that was the last episode of Californication ever, I'm fine with it. The very last scene justified pretty much the entire series to me.

10. spencers

spencers Senior member

shit! I missed it!

11. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

+1

12. spencers

spencers Senior member

Two episodes left [​IMG]

13. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

finally caught up in the last couple episodes.

I really hope Karen and Becca get into a car crash and burn to death.

one-hit wonder??!!!! "jessie's girl" might be his biggest hit but he also sang the classics "i've done everything for you", "taxi dancing", "don't talk to strangers", "what kind of fool am i", "affair of the heart" and "love somebody" which was in the soundtrack of his major film "hard to hold".... he is a god! [​IMG]

No, really, he's a one hit wonder.

I'm hoping this is the end of Springfield. The joke would have been funny for an episode, but an entire season of going back to the same tired shit is way too much.

seriously

The guy from Full House? You're shitting me, right?

[​IMG]

No, we're not shitting you. What are you, from Mars?

14. superego

superego Senior member

It's definitely a good show, but nowhere near as compelling as Entourage.

The writing just feels forced at times, as they attempt to imbue the protagonist with this self-destructive charisma. I can't tell whether Duchovny was simply poorly cast, or the writers are simply trying too hard to live out their high-school newspaper-dork fantasies through him. IMO, it just isn't believable at times and thus less enjoyable.

If you'd like a fascinating and real-deal version of the Hank Mooney character, read about the life and times of Charles Bukowski (the protagonist of Californication is loosely based on his life as hard-drinking, womanizing writer) via any of his work. I'd recommend 'Women' as a starting point.

15. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

Duchovny's always rocking those chelsea boots and it's making me want a pair.
    i fell for it, too. i needed something to replace my DBs because i have a fucking metal foot and that crepe sole can SMD. timberland torrance chelseas on season 3. turns out they're waterproof, which is coming in handy for this shit weather. it's not doing any favors for my ongoing 3-year leather jacket hunt, though.