Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

california theme party tomorrow - would this work?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by faisal.100, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

That's a Northern Californian look, not Southern. Generally speaking, you don't see Tech Geek Chic happening anywhere south of the Bay Area. If you live in SoCal, and the people with whom you associate are dressed as described above, you're doing it wrong. Find a better part of SoCal in which to live. For instance, I live in a very swanky and upscale part of LA because I am pretty awesome.
    He's right. In Southern California, you have to substitute flip-flops for the boat shoes.

2. coolshoes

coolshoes Senior member

Whoa! I haven't seen boat shoes in Southern California since I tossed the last Vineyard Vines catalog the USPS left on my front porch.

3. Kurt N

Kurt N Senior member

I've seen 'em around, but OK, OK, I give! Flip-flops is clearly the right answer on footwear.

4. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Cargo shorts, hoodie and flip-flops (or sneakers) seem like the appropriate uniform for young SoCal males these days.

All the jokes about this being an epicenter of coke and pot seem very 30 to 40 years ago, and, hey, the Beach Boys were 50-odd years ago!

5. Patek

Patek Senior member

Why not go full tilt: Hollywood tranny hooker?

6. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

What is California theme?

hi which type of theme u want not clear your question....

I'm also waiting for the answer on that one...[​IMG]

7. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Hi, I have a california theme party tomorrow. Would this work out? White chino or khaki shorts that cutoff at the middle of the knee and a white and light blue stripe dress shirt, tucked in, with the sleeves rolled up and top two buttons undone. And boat shoes with matching belt.

Untuck the shirt and this would be perfect for an Annapolis theme party. Hey there, sailor!

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

california theme party

cute...

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

california theme party

cute...

+1

Spice it up, bring Sheen and pron

10. comrade

comrade Senior member

Hi, I have a california theme party tomorrow. Would this work out? White chino or khaki shorts that cutoff at the middle of the knee and a white and light blue stripe dress shirt, tucked in, with the sleeves rolled up and top two buttons undone. And boat shoes with matching belt.

Except for the "cutoff" you seem to have confused California with Nantucket or
    Bah Hahbah.

11. Mr. White

Mr. White Senior member

Yeah, yeah, cargo shorts, dull hoodie, flip flops. OK.

But he can't pull it off without a similarly-dressed, slightly chubby and somewhat bitchy Filipina or Mexican gf in arm, dark dark tan and blonded arm hair, idiotic surfer dude twang (think Okie parents), reeks of backyard barbecue from his earlier stop that evening, pulls up in a ten-year-old SUV, pants pocket bulge with the latest I-phone 4 that rings incessantly cuz the idiot doesn't know to put texts on buzz only, etc, etc.

12. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

+1

Spice it up, bring Sheen and pron

And Tommy Lee,Rob Lowe,Pamela Anderson or Rodman..[​IMG]

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

And Tommy Lee,Rob Lowe,Pamela Anderson or Rodman..[​IMG]

You forgot Stamos

14. schroeder85

schroeder85 New Member

Here's a quick rundown of some CA archetypes (mostly Southern CA related) and their usual uniforms:

Surfer/beach bum: Board shorts (baggy) with surf/skate brand T-shirt/tanktop and Rainbow flip-flops (optional hoodie and shades)

Hypebeast: Outrageously colored sneakers a must, baggy/saggy jeans, LRG hoodie or similar, fitted cap (bonus points for matching outfit colors to sneakers)

Jerk (referencing the hip-hop movement): similar to Hypebeast, but skinny jeans. Emphasis on the skinny jeans. See video:

SoCal Clubber: all about the brands, Ed Hardy, Monarchy, True Religion, Rock & Republic, Antik, throw on some square-toed shoes, and faux hawk that haircut. Fake tan for the win.

Retiree: Hula shirt, khaki shorts, flip-flops, big straw hat (not even panama status, think bigger: http://www.amazon.com/DORFMAN-PACIFI.../dp/B000UJCBH6)

That's all I can think of for now, let me see if I can come up with a few more later.

15. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Here's a quick rundown of some CA archetypes (mostly Southern CA related) and their usual uniforms:

Surfer/beach bum: Board shorts (baggy) with surf/skate brand T-shirt/tanktop and Rainbow flip-flops (optional hoodie and shades)

Hypebeast: Outrageously colored sneakers a must, baggy/saggy jeans, LRG hoodie or similar, fitted cap (bonus points for matching outfit colors to sneakers)

Jerk (referencing the hip-hop movement): similar to Hypebeast, but skinny jeans. Emphasis on the skinny jeans. See video:

SoCal Clubber: all about the brands, Ed Hardy, Monarchy, True Religion, Rock & Republic, Antik, throw on some square-toed shoes, and faux hawk that haircut. Fake tan for the win.

Retiree: Hula shirt, khaki shorts, flip-flops, big straw hat (not even panama status, think bigger: http://www.amazon.com/DORFMAN-PACIFI.../dp/B000UJCBH6)

That's all I can think of for now, let me see if I can come up with a few more later.

And Compton gang bangers...