• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

california theme party tomorrow - would this work?

faisal.100

Reaction score
Hi, I have a california theme party tomorrow. Would this work out? White chino or khaki shorts that cutoff at the middle of the knee and a white and light blue stripe dress shirt, tucked in, with the sleeves rolled up and top two buttons undone. And boat shoes with matching belt.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is California theme?

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the underlying theme is "California douchebag," then just stop into your local Tommy Bahama and pick up a shirt and some blousy bermuda shorts. Then get a nasty fat cigar and highlight your (preferably receding) hair. You'll be good to go, at least if you want to look like a lot of the middle-aged clowns around where I live. It also helps if you have a substantial beer gut.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by faisal.100
Hi, I have a california theme party tomorrow. Would this work out? White chino or khaki shorts that cutoff at the middle of the knee and a white and light blue stripe dress shirt, tucked in, with the sleeves rolled up and top two buttons undone. And boat shoes with matching belt.

Where would you keep the coke in that outfit? In the shorts pocket? Seems a little conspicuous to me. You don't want your friends bogarting that **** all night.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think its kind of like a beach theme.

Wear a baja hoodie and some baggy swim trunks.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wear a cheesy Hollywood sign shirt from the LAX airport. Every hipster douche in LA wears one now, myself included.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
I'm not sure how what you described is beachy, but it's fairly stylish if ordinary everyday wear both in new york and down south...

Kurt N

Reaction score
Clearly you're from a place where they do California theme parties--which is to say, someplace far from California. If you just want to goof off, wear whatever your imagination tells you. But if you actually want to look like a (southern) Californian, it's CARGO shorts, UNtucked T-shirt (with a nasty slogan) or polo shirt (with a logo from a software company), boat or running shoes with *black socks* (gah, there I said it) if you're still on the young side of 30 and gray socks with sandals if you're over 50, and *no* belt or else a very unremarkable one. Sunglasses should be Wayfarer-style (again, under 30) or police/commando wraparound (for over 50). Ballcap optional. And NO beer gut. People around here aren't nearly so fat as in most parts east of us. However, a little band-aid to signify recent removal of a patch of sun-induced skin cancer would be quite appropriate. All set? No charge. EDIT: Actually, I think you really need that band-aid. Otherwise it's just a generic American costume, isn't it?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kurt N
Clearly you're from a place where they do California theme parties--which is to say, someplace far from California. If you just want to goof off, wear whatever your imagination tells you. But if you actually want to look like a (southern) Californian, it's CARGO shorts, UNtucked T-shirt (with a nasty slogan) or polo shirt (with a logo from a software company), boat or running shoes with *black socks* (gah, there I said it) if you're still on the young side of 30 and gray socks with sandals if you're over 50, and *no* belt or else a very unremarkable one.
That's a Northern Californian look, not Southern. Generally speaking, you don't see Tech Geek Chic happening anywhere south of the Bay Area. If you live in SoCal, and the people with whom you associate are dressed as described above, you're doing it wrong. Find a better part of SoCal in which to live. For instance, I live in a very swanky and upscale part of LA because I am pretty awesome.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Another New Yorker
I'm not sure how what you described is beachy, but it's fairly stylish if ordinary everyday wear both in new york and down south...

Yeah that's true but with a butcher stripe shirt and khaki shorts I was picturing early publicity shots of the Beach Boys.

Kurt N

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
That's a Northern Californian look, not Southern. Generally speaking, you don't see Tech Geek Chic happening anywhere south of the Bay Area. If you live in SoCal, and the people with whom you associate are dressed as described above, you're doing it wrong. Find a better part of SoCal in which to live. For instance, I live in a very swanky and upscale part of LA because I am pretty awesome.

You're welcome to your awesomeness, but don't tell a Northern Californian that the Bay Area is theirs. They don't share the sentiment.

OK, so my description was maybe more locality-specific than I thought. But we do have plenty of tech geeks in Orange County.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads