• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calgary, Canada

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have an interview later today for a position based in Calgary, Canada.

Please enlighten me about the social life, food, and drink of this city. Thanks much.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by feynmix

Please enlighten me about the social life, food, and drink of this city. Thanks much.

Sure. Just get in your car and drive west 'till you hit Vancouver.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
One of my nephews moved there to open up an internationally known retail outlet. He seems to party a lot, goes to mucho death metal type ****, MMA fights, and generally is wasting his life (at age 35) in what seems to be a pretty bleak, yet growing, city. It seems if you want to head out and reinvent yourself, it's a good place.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Sure. Just get in your car and drive west 'till you hit Vancouver.

But then there would be no job. Vancouver is fascinating with cost of living and available amount or work.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Easy access to the Canadian Rockies, Banff, Lake Louise, those places. Awesome scenery, great hiking, skiing, climbing. Lots of Japanese tourists. Probably very low on fashun booteeks.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their hockey team sucks

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by feynmix

Hope you like both kinds of music (Country and Western)....

JamesW

Reaction score
I've lived in Calgary for 4 years now - the city has grown so much in last 4 years - its not nearly as large as some of the other Canadian cities such as Vancouver and Toronto but it has a vibrant food, festival and outdoor scene. Nightlife, in my opinion, could be better but if you are a pub/bar/lounge kind of guy, Calgary will do just fine. Its a bit lacking in club scene but I am sure that will improve with time. Cost of living isn't necessarily cheap but on average the salary here is greater than Vancouver. Oh, and Calgary has the best steak in Canada. People are very friendly overall as well.

hrb

Reaction score
grew up in Calgary (now live in Van). You can expect a lot of drinking (the oil and gas sector literally runs the town and the like to party, drink, and occasionally work). That being said it won't come as a surprise to here that the city is incredibly right wing, by canadian standards (you should here the hostile debates at our family dinners). The city is quite young in comparison to many others, and money hungry.. in comparison to NY it will seem very..white... and spread out. You're only an hour or so away from the rockies, so lots of great skiing opportunities. Nice parks in the city as well as good running paths along the rivers.

My sole shred of unsolicited advice would be to live in a central area. the suburbs there are getting absolutely out of hand (urban sprawl to the MAX). If you're looking at condo living, the eu claire area is quite nice, 17th ave area is also good, though more noisy and younger. 10th street (NW) is a nice area as well for condo's though well appointed ones are harder to come by. this may or may not be appealing depending on your age. If you're moving with family and looking for a house Elboya, Mt. Royal, Elbow Park, Hillhurst, Sunnyside are all good areas, though not very cheap. Parkdale is a nice cheaper inner city area that would probably be a solid investment for a home.

hope this helps. oh also. buy a cowboy hat and boots. yes seriously (if you were living in williamsburg, you probably already own these). and if you don't already, learn to like the flames, or at least pretend to, if you value your life.

best of luck and enjoy!

jesask

Reaction score
Flames suck. Calgarians claim that they live in a world class city. While it has potential it still has a long way to go .

There are lots of great places to eat if you are into that. My favourite is Il Sogno. Murrieta's is nice downtown.

Oconner's is nice for clothes. Pretty expensive though.

KenRose

Reaction score
I have lived here all my life. HRB and JamesW made some very accurate comments, although I hate country music and have never owned a hat or boots. And I hate hockey too, I'm a knicks fan
smile.gif

Originally Posted by hrb
grew up in Calgary (now live in Van). You can expect a lot of drinking (the oil and gas sector literally runs the town and the like to party, drink, and occasionally work). That being said it won't come as a surprise to here that the city is incredibly right wing, by canadian standards (you should here the hostile debates at our family dinners). The city is quite young in comparison to many others, and money hungry.. in comparison to NY it will seem very..white... and spread out. You're only an hour or so away from the rockies, so lots of great skiing opportunities. Nice parks in the city as well as good running paths along the rivers.

My sole shred of unsolicited advice would be to live in a central area. the suburbs there are getting absolutely out of hand (urban sprawl to the MAX). If you're looking at condo living, the eu claire area is quite nice, 17th ave area is also good, though more noisy and younger. 10th street (NW) is a nice area as well for condo's though well appointed ones are harder to come by. this may or may not be appealing depending on your age. If you're moving with family and looking for a house Elboya, Mt. Royal, Elbow Park, Hillhurst, Sunnyside are all good areas, though not very cheap. Parkdale is a nice cheaper inner city area that would probably be a solid investment for a home.

hope this helps. oh also. buy a cowboy hat and boots. yes seriously (if you were living in williamsburg, you probably already own these). and if you don't already, learn to like the flames, or at least pretend to, if you value your life.

best of luck and enjoy!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads