• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calgary, Canada

futuremyth

Reaction score
what kind of place is it?

i want a dirty italian sports club where there are dozens of old retired guys yelling at each other over meaningless card games where by 11am the espresso machine has punched out 220 espressos already...

*** just looked at the website... the espresso will be crap.

When you find a place like that, please post about it, curious to know if one exists here.

svelten

Reaction score
So far, so good with the city. I'm planning on moving though - Mission a good, stylish little area overall?

bings

Reaction score
Tried Brava, Una Pizza and Vintage... All very good. Una especially, it's great value compared to the others. The place is always rammed too.

Anyone know of a good greasy NY-style pizza place? I've tried Chicago Deep Dish a few times and it's good but not great.

KenRose

Reaction score
the closest thing that we have to NY thin crust pizza is pulcinella in Kensington. Some like Without Papers in Inglewood (I don't). My favorite pizza is from Spiros in Killarney (just outside of downtown, I believe 17th ave and 33rd SW). It's greek and it's excellent but very thick.

bings

Reaction score
nah i want greasy, cheesy, crispy thicker crust pizza...

did Charcut again the other night.... there's nothing wrong with it but i'd recommend Una Pizza over it. Una was less than half the price for 3 of us and full of eye candy.

KenRose

Reaction score
Chick's dig Una, lol. Try Spiro's, I think they are the best pizza in Calgary.
nah i want greasy, cheesy, crispy thicker crust pizza...

did Charcut again the other night.... there's nothing wrong with it but i'd recommend Una Pizza over it. Una was less than half the price for 3 of us and full of eye candy.

bings

Reaction score
i'll be back in town next week and will give that a try.

i've been trying to get into Corso 32 in Edmonton all year and can never get in there even with a week's notice... frig.

bings

Reaction score
got into Corso 32 in Edmonton finally... great food very casual cafeteria style dining... not cheap but worth it... i think the long waits (6 week wait on reservations right now) is due largely to the small dining room.

Cassis Bistro in Calgary... it was pretty good but didnt blow my mind. I'll go again though.

Osteria de Medicci was excellent tonight... fish, veal, escargot, lamb, gnocchi all awesome. espresso couldnt be finished... had to give it away.

Also tried two different espressos at Analog on 17th ave today... i had one sip of each... that **** was garbage.

Last edited:

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what kind of place is it?

i want a dirty italian sports club where there are dozens of old retired guys yelling at each other over meaningless card games where by 11am the espresso machine has punched out 220 espressos already...

*** just looked at the website... the espresso will be crap.

The Italian Cultural Club has a bocce league. Maybe you should drop in when they're playing.

Or try La Brezza. Or call Giovanni and see what he suggests. But I think you are asking too much of this city.

bings

Reaction score
Oh hai... this thread.

did the Grizzly House in Banff. It was pretty good. Will bring the wife next time.

Ruth's Chris in Calgary was very much a Ruth's Chris experience :) It is the best one i've been to actually. Better than the ones in Toronto or Denver.

did Diner Deluxe on a sunday... bad news... 1 hour wait for a good but not 1 hour wait good breakfast. OEB was closed which contributed to the extra long wait.

forbidden city in the mall on 36th is my go to for chinese food thus far. anyone have better choices?

I'll disagree with Avenue Magazine and put Mercato above Bon Terra for Italian too.

svelten

Reaction score

Oh hai... this thread.

did the Grizzly House in Banff. It was pretty good. Will bring the wife next time.

Ruth's Chris in Calgary was very much a Ruth's Chris experience :) It is the best one i've been to actually. Better than the ones in Toronto or Denver.

did Diner Deluxe on a sunday... bad news... 1 hour wait for a good but not 1 hour wait good breakfast. OEB was closed which contributed to the extra long wait.

forbidden city in the mall on 36th is my go to for chinese food thus far. anyone have better choices?

I'll disagree with Avenue Magazine and put Mercato above Bon Terra for Italian too.

I'm of :foo: descent, and would have to say the best Chinese food here belongs to:

T.Pot
Ginger Beef in Country Hills NE
Peking Dragon on 4th
Sun Chiu Kee BBQ

For Taiwanese, bubblemania ain't so bad but the menu is very scant. If you don't like fried rice, don't go.

Anything in Chinatown is horrid. Greasy, unauthentic and a little too 'westernized'.

Last edited:

bings

Reaction score

Anything in Chinatown is horrid. Greasy, unauthentic and a little too 'westernized'.

i found the one i went to to be fairly authentic in that they unapologetically didnt speak any english and were indifferent as to whether i was even there or not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics