1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Calgary, Canada

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by feynmix, Jun 21, 2010.

1. romafan

romafan Senior member

Bow River runs through downtown, I think. Pretty good fishing...

2. wannabeagiant

wannabeagiant Senior member

Dear OP, I have lived in Calgary for almost 4 years.

If one or both of these two are the absolut priorities in your life, you should move here:

1. The outdoors (as in skiing, climbing, mountaineering, etc.)
    2. Making money

If not, for the love of god, DO NOT move here. I understand you would be moving from NYC. Calgary is much smaller and punches way below its weight. It has the urbanity of a city maybe a quarter the size.

Please consider this carefully.

I second this. I've visited for extended periods since my brother lives there and it's nothing to write home about. He and my parents have been trying to convince me to go there for work but I'd rather be poor than move there.

If you're not white, watch this clip ().

3. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

I second this. I've visited for extended periods since my brother lives there and it's nothing to write home about. He and my parents have been trying to convince me to go there for work but I'd rather be poor than move there.

If you're not white, watch this clip ().

Thanks for the link. Is racism still an issue? No, I am not white.

4. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

No. It's not something you have to worry about.

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I don't know about Calgary, but I am amazed at how diverse Toronto and winnipeg are.

6. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Calgary is not as diverse as Toronto or Vancouver, but not being white should not be an issue.

7. unjung

unjung Senior member

Moving from NYC you will cry yourself to sleep for a year. As far as Canada goes it's second to Vancouver for work/life balance, in my mind. Toronto is what it is but isn't somewhere I'd want to be. There will be money in Calgary for a long time. A number of NYC IB firms are in the city now.

Mercato in Mission for Italian. Zipang in Bridgeland for sushi. Rouge in Inglewood for French was on the Pellegrino list. Phil & Sebastian's in Marda Loop for coffee. These are also all neighbourhoods I would consider living in. Open Range in Renfrew for meat, but not a great neighbourhood in my opinion.

Leos on 17th has stuff for the SW&D crowd. MC is a wasteland, buy stuff when you go home.

The proximity to the mountains is huge, whether you want to waste money in Banff or do something constructive like ski a glacier.

I wouldn't discount the city out of hand if the offer seems decent.

8. tomgirl

tomgirl Senior member

i have a love/hate relationship with calgary. every time i go there with the intention of having fun, i end up going out and realizing that their night scene kind of sucks. i don't know what it is, but i haven't managed to find a place i consistently have a good time at. the hi-fi club is probably the closest i've come to that, since 17th is obnoxious for the most part. there are a lot of meatheads there, too. big orange meatheads.

other than that, it's alright.

9. unjung

unjung Senior member

i have a love/hate relationship with calgary. every time i go there with the intention of having fun, i end up going out and realizing that their night scene kind of sucks. i don't know what it is, but i haven't managed to find a place i consistently have a good time at. the hi-fi club is probably the closest i've come to that, since 17th is obnoxious for the most part. there are a lot of meatheads there, too. big orange meatheads. other than that, it's alright.
    You've done well to have fun at HiFi. If that's your scene though, Sled Island is happening right now. For something completely different, try West, which is new and contains more plastic than a PET plant.

10. tomgirl

tomgirl Senior member

You've done well to have fun at HiFi. If that's your scene though, Sled Island is happening right now.

For something completely different, try West, which is new and contains more plastic than a PET plant.

i'm apparently super predictable because i just went to sled island this past weekend.

11. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

whats the industry in calgary like at the moment?

booming like all oil towns? does anyone know - is it traditional oil or shale / oil sands type stuff?

12. unjung

unjung Senior member

Maybe Calgary needs to schedule a meet-up.
    whats the industry in calgary like at the moment? booming like all oil towns? does anyone know - is it traditional oil or shale / oil sands type stuff?
    Yes, all of Canada's significant O&G players are based in Calgary, whether conventional, shale or oil sands. Things have picked up as far as I know.

13. RedScarf7

RedScarf7 Senior member

I went to West this past weekend. Bit of an older crowd, but still fun. Amsterdam Rhino is worth checking out especially now that the patio is open. The shisha bar a few doors down has the best shisha I have ever smoked.

14. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

whats the industry in calgary like at the moment?

booming like all oil towns? does anyone know - is it traditional oil or shale / oil sands type stuff?

I wouldn't say it is "booming". At least not the most booming city in the region. The housing market there is moving backwards, which is pretty rare in the prairies as pretty much every other major city on the prairies housing markets have been on fire since 2005.

15. Man of Wealth and Taste

Man of Wealth and Taste Senior member

Unless you're First Nations.

16. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean Senior member

Alberta is arguably Canada's most conservative province. Have heard a few things about Oil and Gas companies staffed with old white guys, but nothing too serious. Personally, I have never seen any issues in my work or personal life. Don't think this is something you should worry about a lot.

17. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

Thanks for the feedback folks!

As of right now, interview is scheduled for the morning of Friday, July 23rd. I was going to try and stay the weekend there and maybe check out banff, but if we can get a SF Calgary meet up scheduled, that would be great.

How does July 23 or 24 work for everybody?

PS - The interview IS with an energy company out there - traditional oil and shale.

18. unjung

unjung Senior member

Alberta is arguably Canada's most conservative province. Have heard a few things about Oil and Gas companies staffed with old white guys, but nothing too serious. Personally, I have never seen any issues in my work or personal life. Don't think this is something you should worry about a lot.

Piles and piles of non-whites in the business and the city. The city is the third most diverse in the country. Racism would be no worse than any city in the northern US.

I wouldn't say it is "booming". At least not the most booming city in the region. The housing market there is moving backwards, which is pretty rare in the prairies as pretty much every other major city on the prairies housing markets have been on fire since 2005.

This is fair. However, the cities that are "on fire" are the ones where wearing a suit on a Thursday to the bar gets you asked if you're a Mormon or just attended a wedding (I've experienced this).

How does July 23 or 24 work for everybody?

I guess I'd be willing to reveal my true identity.

19. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean Senior member

At least not the most booming city in the region.

Which city would that be? Not that we have many.

20. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

Dear OP, I have lived in Calgary for almost 4 years.

If one or both of these two are the absolut priorities in your life, you should move here:

1. The outdoors (as in skiing, climbing, mountaineering, etc.)
    2. Making money

If not, for the love of god, DO NOT move here. I understand you would be moving from NYC. Calgary is much smaller and punches way below its weight. It has the urbanity of a city maybe a quarter the size.

Please consider this carefully.

From what I've seen so far this is bang on. Fortunately I'm a skier before all else and have mounds of student debt so yor criteria are met, sir.

I'd be down for some drinks on jul 23 or 24 so long as we're in dt. Might be able to get free to go as far as 17th. I'm in bankers hall most of my waking hours.

This thread is a godsend as I now have like 15 places to eat. Much thanks and keep em coming.