1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Calgary, Canada

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by feynmix, Jun 21, 2010.

1. feynmix

feynmix Well-Known Member

Have an interview later today for a position based in Calgary, Canada.

Please enlighten me about the social life, food, and drink of this city. Thanks much.

2. intent

intent Well-Known Member

Please enlighten me about the social life, food, and drink of this city. Thanks much.

Sure. Just get in your car and drive west 'till you hit Vancouver.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

One of my nephews moved there to open up an internationally known retail outlet. He seems to party a lot, goes to mucho death metal type shit, MMA fights, and generally is wasting his life (at age 35) in what seems to be a pretty bleak, yet growing, city. It seems if you want to head out and reinvent yourself, it's a good place.

4. yesnoyes

yesnoyes Member

Wear a cowboy hat?

5. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Well-Known Member

Sure. Just get in your car and drive west 'till you hit Vancouver.

But then there would be no job. Vancouver is fascinating with cost of living and available amount or work.

6. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

I just moved here. Hence I can't tell you much. I can tell you it ain't got nothin' on Vantown. Cost of living is supposedly cheap by comparison but things don't really seem that much cheaper to me, besides rent.

7. JoelF

JoelF Well-Known Member

Easy access to the Canadian Rockies, Banff, Lake Louise, those places. Awesome scenery, great hiking, skiing, climbing. Lots of Japanese tourists. Probably very low on fashun booteeks.

8. Stazy

Stazy Well-Known Member

Their hockey team sucks

9. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Well-Known Member

Hope you like both kinds of music (Country and Western)....

10. JamesW

JamesW Well-Known Member

I've lived in Calgary for 4 years now - the city has grown so much in last 4 years - its not nearly as large as some of the other Canadian cities such as Vancouver and Toronto but it has a vibrant food, festival and outdoor scene. Nightlife, in my opinion, could be better but if you are a pub/bar/lounge kind of guy, Calgary will do just fine. Its a bit lacking in club scene but I am sure that will improve with time. Cost of living isn't necessarily cheap but on average the salary here is greater than Vancouver. Oh, and Calgary has the best steak in Canada. People are very friendly overall as well.

11. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

^Cough up some highlights, stuff I should check out. I live downtown and I am just sort of finding things.

12. hrb

hrb Well-Known Member

grew up in Calgary (now live in Van). You can expect a lot of drinking (the oil and gas sector literally runs the town and the like to party, drink, and occasionally work). That being said it won't come as a surprise to here that the city is incredibly right wing, by canadian standards (you should here the hostile debates at our family dinners). The city is quite young in comparison to many others, and money hungry.. in comparison to NY it will seem very..white... and spread out. You're only an hour or so away from the rockies, so lots of great skiing opportunities. Nice parks in the city as well as good running paths along the rivers.

My sole shred of unsolicited advice would be to live in a central area. the suburbs there are getting absolutely out of hand (urban sprawl to the MAX). If you're looking at condo living, the eu claire area is quite nice, 17th ave area is also good, though more noisy and younger. 10th street (NW) is a nice area as well for condo's though well appointed ones are harder to come by. this may or may not be appealing depending on your age. If you're moving with family and looking for a house Elboya, Mt. Royal, Elbow Park, Hillhurst, Sunnyside are all good areas, though not very cheap. Parkdale is a nice cheaper inner city area that would probably be a solid investment for a home.

hope this helps. oh also. buy a cowboy hat and boots. yes seriously (if you were living in williamsburg, you probably already own these). and if you don't already, learn to like the flames, or at least pretend to, if you value your life.

best of luck and enjoy!

13. hrb

hrb Well-Known Member

Their hockey team sucks

go flames.

1 person likes this.
  14. jesask

jesask Well-Known Member

Flames suck. Calgarians claim that they live in a world class city. While it has potential it still has a long way to go .

There are lots of great places to eat if you are into that. My favourite is Il Sogno. Murrieta's is nice downtown.

Oconner's is nice for clothes. Pretty expensive though.

15. KenRose

KenRose Well-Known Member

I have lived here all my life. HRB and JamesW made some very accurate comments, although I hate country music and have never owned a hat or boots. And I hate hockey too, I'm a knicks fan[​IMG]

grew up in Calgary (now live in Van). You can expect a lot of drinking (the oil and gas sector literally runs the town and the like to party, drink, and occasionally work). That being said it won't come as a surprise to here that the city is incredibly right wing, by canadian standards (you should here the hostile debates at our family dinners). The city is quite young in comparison to many others, and money hungry.. in comparison to NY it will seem very..white... and spread out. You're only an hour or so away from the rockies, so lots of great skiing opportunities. Nice parks in the city as well as good running paths along the rivers.

My sole shred of unsolicited advice would be to live in a central area. the suburbs there are getting absolutely out of hand (urban sprawl to the MAX). If you're looking at condo living, the eu claire area is quite nice, 17th ave area is also good, though more noisy and younger. 10th street (NW) is a nice area as well for condo's though well appointed ones are harder to come by. this may or may not be appealing depending on your age. If you're moving with family and looking for a house Elboya, Mt. Royal, Elbow Park, Hillhurst, Sunnyside are all good areas, though not very cheap. Parkdale is a nice cheaper inner city area that would probably be a solid investment for a home.

hope this helps. oh also. buy a cowboy hat and boots. yes seriously (if you were living in williamsburg, you probably already own these). and if you don't already, learn to like the flames, or at least pretend to, if you value your life.

best of luck and enjoy!

16. Beetleything

Beetleything Well-Known Member

The ONLY good thing about Calgary is the road out of it to the Rockies.

I'm in Vankonghover - an although it's lovely to look at - IT"S FUCKING BORING!!

Over and out.

17. imschatz

imschatz Well-Known Member

I live about 6 hrs to the east of Calgary, down the #1.

Few things I know about Calgary:
    1) They are a resouce city, that has nearly trippled in size since the 80's. With that, you have really terrible urban planning. As mentioned, Urban sprawl to the MAX. In area it is a little under half the size of New York, with a little over a million people. Driving there absolutely blows in some parts. They are getting better, and have developed a fairly extensive public transit system.

2) Lots of money. I know guys who have gone out there straight out of undergrad and made very good money. These guys also spent the vast majority of that on housing, booze, and coke. Those oil/gas guys, whether in the field or in the office love to party.

3) You might want to send a pm to sf user "Man of Wealth and Taste" (http://www.styleforum.net/member.php?u=31325). He moved out there to work, so he may have some insight into what it's like to move into that city.

4) I make a few trips a year to Calgary, so if you want some more info from an "outsider" pm me.

18. JamesW

JamesW Well-Known Member

^Cough up some highlights, stuff I should check out. I live downtown and I am just sort of finding things.

You will have to be a bit more specific - since you tell me that you live downtown I am guessing you are interested in bar and restaurant scene?

In my opinion there are number of great places you can dine at - I will give you some of my favourites - you can easily find their address by googling them:

Sushi Hiro (Japanese - the owner, Hiro-san, is a great sushi chef - one of my favourite places in Calgary - go on thursdays and fridays for the freshest fish). Wa's, Shibuya's, Towa's and Globefish are also good places but are not in downtown.

Capo's - Previous chef from Il Sogno started his own place in Inglewood - while not in downtown it is very closely located - they have one of the best gnocchi I've ever tried. Other good italian influenced eateries include Mercato's, Il Sogno's and Sugo Cafe.

Rush - a bit more upscale but if you are not shy about spending the dough on a special occasion this is a good place. Try their caesar salad - it comes with really good anchovies (not the salty gross kind but the really tasty kind) and half-poached eggs. yum. Teatro's, Riverside Cafe and Bonterra are also my favs for special occasion.

Caesar's steakhouse - Calgary - known for beef - this is, in my opinion, the best place to try it. Try the steak and lobster combo - the tenderloin will melt in your mouth. Supposedly the original caeser cocktail was invested here but its a little hard to believe. Vintage Steakhouse and Ruth's Chris are also both very good. Avoid Chicago Chophouse and Quincy's.

I could go on with restaurants but there are just too many and am feeling lazy. If you want something different, Thai Sa-on and Chili house both have good thai food. Dae-Jang-Geum and Seoul House are both good for Korean food. Seoul House isn't downtown though - its near Chinook mall.

For Coffee, try Cafe Artegiano (downtown) and Higher Grounds (Kensington). First one is more upscale, business crow (fancy lattes) and the latter gives you that university cafe feel.

In terms of lounges, you will pretty much only find your typical downtown lounges with business crowd - the Met, V-bar, Seven Restrolounge, Earl's and West are the popular ones in downtown. West is probably the most popular one now, just because it opened not too long ago. Looking forward to West opening its rooftop patio - should be good during summer and stampede. If you goto 17th Ave, there are bunch of lounges with dance floor. Decent ones are the Melrose, Bungalow and Lucky's.

As for pubs, there is James Joyce, Unicorn, Bear and Kilt and Ceili's - all irish pubs - good food and friendly waitress - good place to go on friday after work to unwind.

For clubs, there is HiFi, the Back Alley, the Mansion, Amsterdam Rhino and Mercury etc.

Good luck and have fun

Oh, if you are into Jazz, check out Beatniq - they have live jazz on Thurs, Fri and Sat. The food at its sister establishment (on the ground floor) is quite good too.

19. feynmix

feynmix Well-Known Member

Wear a cowboy hat?

Last time I wore a cowboy hat, it was as a part of my Halloween costume.

Easy access to the Canadian Rockies, Banff, Lake Louise, those places. Awesome scenery, great hiking, skiing, climbing. Lots of Japanese tourists. Probably very low on fashun booteeks.

Hi there! Have you been there before? Have an onsite interview with an energy company out there, will tell you more about it when I am back in NY. Hope you are doing well.

Hope you like both kinds of music (Country and Western)....

I don't like either. Can I survive?

The company asked me to fly out to Calgary for an interview in a few weeks, so I guess I will get a chance to check it out myself.

20. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean Well-Known Member

Dear OP, I have lived in Calgary for almost 4 years.

If one or both of these two are the absolut priorities in your life, you should move here:

1. The outdoors (as in skiing, climbing, mountaineering, etc.)
    2. Making money

If not, for the love of god, DO NOT move here. I understand you would be moving from NYC. Calgary is much smaller and punches way below its weight. It has the urbanity of a city maybe a quarter the size.

Please consider this carefully.