• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calgary, Alberta

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
I'm moving to Calgary in about a year, and I need some insights into whereabouts I should live. I'll be working at 9th avenue and 2nd street and want something fairly close by if possible, but I'll be driving anyway. I'll just be spending a lot of time in the office and I don't want to make things tougher with a longer commute. Where should I be considering? Mount Royal? What am I looking at for rent in the various areas?

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
try to get an apartment near the covered walkways.

minus

Reaction score
Lower Mt. Royal is a substantial walk from 2nd and 9th (Mt. Royal itself is estate houses exclusively). The apartments near your work are appallingly expensive or absolute hellholes. Without knowing your price range or what it is you do for a living, it's hard to say, but Connaught or Mission might work out best (the "Beltline"). I'd stick to the west of Macleod Trail (Southwest addresses).

I lived in Lower Mt. Royal for about 10 years. It was moderately priced -- for Calgary, close to the bars but a bit of a trek to get downtown in mid-winter.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Lawyer. Well articling law student to start with. Price range preferably below 1k, but I can deal if it needs to go a bit higher. What counts as appallingly expensive in Calgary? I'll probably have a car, if I decide I want to pay for the insurance and gas. Still I want to be relatively close by. Mission has some reasonably priced places I'm told, but I just don't know the area.

minus

Reaction score
Mission should be fine, I think. But under 1K will only get you an okay place in Mission. Nothing great, but possibly nothing so horrific you'll be cowering under your bed-sheets praying for a quick death.

When I say appalling, I mean appalling. 1K will get you a mediocre one bedroom.

Although we maybe coming from two different ideas of standard of living. I lived downtown throughout my 20s, in a dingy 2-bedroom off 17th Ave. It was sweltering in the summer, and freezing in the winters. The hallways smelt of cat piss and homeless people.

I loved it. I could crawl home from the bar. I was 15 minutes of casual strolling away from my office. Amenities were close by, and for the better part of a decade I didn't have a car.

But, I've been 'burbed though and the idea of living in downtown Calgary anywhere but a luxury condo makes me want to take a very long shower.

ns_guy

Reaction score
Kensington is trendy, but in my opinion overpriced for what you'll probably rent - people just like Kensington for the atmosphere but I think you can do better. Beltline (17th ave) is nice and has a good nightlife, though maybe a bit of a hike in cold windy weather. I live in west downtown (there's a slew of condomininiums near 11 street and north of 8 ave). Personally, I like the area (minus the occassional crackhead) as it's close to Kensington, near the LRT, and not too far from a Co-Op (grocery store) so I can live without a car. Your other option to consider is something maybe further out in the suburbs, but near enough an LRT for a daily commute. Mind you, if you spend a lot of time in the office - you don't want to spend a lot of time commuting.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Thing is I hate suburbs and I like apartments. I don't care if I'm in a small-ish 1 bedroom as long as it doesn't induce claustrophobia. That being said, having a little room is never a bad thing. I definitely don't want to spend a long time commuting but somewhere like beltline would be a pretty quick drive, wouldn't it? Not knowing the city I'm not sure if I'm better off owning a car or spending a little more somewhere right near the +15s and the office.

minus

Reaction score
Owning a car is almost a necessity, though. Calgary is not pedestrian friendly. That said, if the +15 is a primary want, downtown apartments are pricey. Expect $1500, unless you're willing to live in squaller. West Downtown is great but expensive.

If you're willing to pay the price, that might meet all your requirements. A few blocks to the +15s and really close to 10th St. Station in the free fare zone. One short (three stops) train ride from your offices for free. Close enough to the nightlife (don't know what kind of places you're into but in West Downtown you'd be close to most everything). A few blocks from the Co-Op and Community Natural Foods. Close to the trendiness of Kensington.

Oh, and the 'Burbs are hell to travel from. Always.

ns_guy

Reaction score
Living in the beltline, I wouldn't bother driving to work - bike, walk, or take the bus. That being said, having a car for the weekends would be nice for:

1) Costco runs
2) Grocery shopping
3) Banff / Kananaskis / Golfing
4) Going to the malls aside from Chinook / Southcentre which have direct LRT access
5) Going to see friends, who inevitably live in the suburbs

If there were two of you living together, something on the west side of downtown would be great as you could split the cost - otherwise it gets pricey. I think the going rent in my building is probably around the $14-1600 range. For something with less amenities, maybe you could get away for $1300. Condo fees in the west side of downtown run around $400-$800 probably so you can guestimate that rent will be at least 2-3 times that probably. I'll check to see if I can find any "for rent" signs later this week to get an idea.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think User Robasaurus (sp?) lives there, try PM him... he's not often on though

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
If there were two of you living together, something on the west side of downtown would be great as you could split the cost - otherwise it gets pricey. I think the going rent in my building is probably around the $14-1600 range. For something with less amenities, maybe you could get away for $1300. Condo fees in the west side of downtown run around $400-$800 probably so you can guestimate that rent will be at least 2-3 times that probably. I'll check to see if I can find any "for rent" signs later this week to get an idea.

Thanks! That'd be awesome. I don't know that I have any real "requirements" in terms of where I live, I probably will be driving though. For one thing I need to be able to ski, so. I might be able to find someone else to split rent with but I don't have anyone right now.

ns_guy

Reaction score
I searched around at this website: http://www.rentspot.com/listings/109/index.html for West Downtown and found some places for rent. The pricepoint I'm seeing is about $1600-1800/mth for 800 square feet which is 2 bedroom. Looking at the for rental signs I could find in lobbies, the prices were about the same. Good luck in your search.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads