1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Calfskin upper, lining, and sole - what does this mean?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SilverSurfer, Jun 4, 2006.

1. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Senior Member

If the description of a pair of oxfords says "Italian calfskin leather upper, lining, and sole", does that mean that the entire shoe is calfskin? If not, what part isn't?

Also, what do you think of them? They are on sale for $49 and I'm thinking they could be nice every day work shoes.

[​IMG]

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

The soles cannot be made from calfskin (young animals), but from the hide of old kettle (only they have the necessary thickness).
    The phrasing is just a bit clumsy.

For that price (even reduced) you cannot expect a qualty product, but they might serve your purpose.

3. stach

stach Senior Member

By sole in this case I think they mean the insole liner. That's a good price for an all leather shoe these days.

4. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Distinguished Member

based on the liner, that's a pair of j crew shoes. ok, but not great.

5. TCN

TCN Distinguished Member

Don't buy them just because they're cheap. I remember when I was in college, I'd pass an outlet mall on the way home from school, and I used to go in and just load up on crap that I'd never buy (or wear) otherwise just because it was 75 or 80% off of retail. What a waste.

I guess they're okay work shoes depending on what you do at work, but if you have to wear decent trousers or a suit, I'd steer clear. Although if you ever had to take them off and throw them at a fleeing "perp", they look like they could do some damage.