• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calf vs. Kid as lining ?

FinnishVintage

Reaction score
I'm summoning all of you shoe aficianados to explain all of the differences between calf and kid leather as lining! Does one have longer durability over the other, equally comfortable, pros & cons?

I'm going for a pair of custom loafers if that makes any difference and I have always had problem with heel slipping even tho the size is right because of my very narrow heels. :)

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Let's just say I saw this comment coming like 5 years ago ?

I unfortunately can't tell you regarding the lining, but there's a bespoke shoe thread and you may be able to get help there.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t have any shoes lined with kid leather, but I have not had any issues with calf leather lined shoes previously.

FinnishVintage

Reaction score
I don’t have any shoes lined with kid leather, but I have not had any issues with calf leather lined shoes previously.
Same here. Maybe I'll do a custom pair of boots next fall because there the heel slipping is not as crucial as with loafers. Carmina's customer service said that Kid should feel like 'silk' and calf as 'cotton' if they were cloth, so it's a tempting option to try.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have kidskin gloves from Lavabre Cadet. The leather is very thin and soft, but online descriptions of it exceed reality. I bought mine after a friend oozed about them at ASW.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kid lining is supposed to be a bit thinner than calf and was used by Carmina exclusively for women footwear, unless you mto a pair and requested it. It’s a lightweight, but isn’t inferior to calfskin. It’s often used for gloves. It’s known to be really soft. It might be softer than calf. I have no experience either, but had the same question when I was purchasing a pair of Carmina loafers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads