• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caipirinhas

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Anybody know what they are/like 'em? What's your favorite version? Me, I like it straight & unmodified...

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Had one this morning. It's important to use fresh juice.

Just how is this pronounced?

Augusto86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Had one this morning. It's important to use fresh juice.

Just how is this pronounced?

Cai-pee-reen-nya...

Technically, you don't even use juice - you crush up the limes with a mortar and pestle.

Did you use cachaca or vodka(which is technically a caipiroska).

seanchai

Reaction score
I like them a lot, but I make them with rum because cachaça is harder to find. I think that makes them called something else. I know it makes them delicious.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cachaça, of course.

Vodka is a poor substitution. If anything, white rum would more closely match the flavor of cachaça.

Augusto86

Reaction score
Cachaça, of course.

Vodka is a poor substitution. If anything, white rum would more closely match the flavor of cachaça.

Where do you get it? I had to smuggle 4 bottles in through customs on my last trip to Brasil and it's getting dangerously depleted...

That's cool that you do it right, though. It's catching on in the US in hip clubs and **** and they often just fake it with vodka or cheap rum. Lame. Still, I suppose I should have some national pride, it being the Brasilian drink and all.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Texas has some of the best alcohol stores in the world. There are several the size of a supermarket -- or about half the size of a Wal-Mart.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like them quite a bit. I like the cachaça with the shrimp on the front I believe it's called Piru. I say this because I have brand called cachaça 51 and I don't like it as much. These are the only two brands I've seen sold in the U.S.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
Where do you get it? I had to smuggle 4 bottles in through customs on my last trip to Brasil and it's getting dangerously depleted...

That's cool that you do it right, though. It's catching on in the US in hip clubs and **** and they often just fake it with vodka or cheap rum. Lame. Still, I suppose I should have some national pride, it being the Brasilian drink and all.

Or worse, they make it with the "universal" Korean liquor soju. I can't stand the stuff. It makes no sense to me why a place would offer a "rum and coke" with soju instead of just rum. Bastards. Caipirinhas are fairly common here in Costa Rica (and rather good) but I've never looked to see what kind of cachaca they use. It's the real deal, though. I'll swing by the market and see what kind they sell.

Augusto86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Or worse, they make it with the "universal" Korean liquor soju. I can't stand the stuff. It makes no sense to me why a place would offer a "rum and coke" with soju instead of just rum. Bastards.

Caipirinhas are fairly common here in Costa Rica (and rather good) but I've never looked to see what kind of cachaca they use. It's the real deal, though. I'll swing by the market and see what kind they sell.

I've never heard of this stuff...weird.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ohhh I love em, I think that the keys to a good Caipirinha are;

Use limes, not juice. The muddling releases the oil from the skins which adds a certain flavor

Really muddle the limes very well,

Use as raw a sugar as possible. Cane sugar if possible, at least brown sugar. No refined white shite

Use crushed ice, not just straight cubes. It has to melt appropriately and dilute the Cachaca some

K

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I used a simple syrup made with Billington's dark molasses brown sugar. Do you mind the brown color of the final product? Should a proper caipirinha be clear?

Augusto86

Reaction score
I used a simple syrup made with Billington's dark molasses brown sugar. Do you mind the brown color of the final product? Should a proper caipirinha be clear?

Yes, it oughtta be clear, unless you make it with cachaça ouro, where it will be gold.

But it's realyl a casual beach/party drink. Make it how you like it. It's a Brasilian drink, so like Jogo Bonito, it's about the beauty and style, not rules and regs.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Along a similar note, I'm a big fan of mojitos which are also fairly common here. Nothing beats the ones at La Bodeguita in Havana, though.

Augusto, were you born in Brasil? What part? My pop's living down around Porto Alegre right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads