1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Caipirinhas

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Augusto86, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

Anybody know what they are/like 'em? What's your favorite version? Me, I like it straight & unmodified...

2. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Had one this morning. It's important to use fresh juice.

Just how is this pronounced?

3. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

Had one this morning. It's important to use fresh juice.

Just how is this pronounced?

Cai-pee-reen-nya...

Technically, you don't even use juice - you crush up the limes with a mortar and pestle.

Did you use cachaca or vodka(which is technically a caipiroska).

4. seanchai

seanchai Senior member

I like them a lot, but I make them with rum because cachaça is harder to find. I think that makes them called something else. I know it makes them delicious.

5. arenn

arenn Well-Known Member

Pretty good stuff.

6. Kent Wang

Cachaça, of course.

Vodka is a poor substitution. If anything, white rum would more closely match the flavor of cachaça.

7. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

Cachaça, of course.

Vodka is a poor substitution. If anything, white rum would more closely match the flavor of cachaça.

Where do you get it? I had to smuggle 4 bottles in through customs on my last trip to Brasil and it's getting dangerously depleted...

That's cool that you do it right, though. It's catching on in the US in hip clubs and shit and they often just fake it with vodka or cheap rum. Lame. Still, I suppose I should have some national pride, it being the Brasilian drink and all.

8. Kent Wang

Texas has some of the best alcohol stores in the world. There are several the size of a supermarket -- or about half the size of a Wal-Mart.

9. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I like them quite a bit. I like the cachaça with the shrimp on the front I believe it's called Piru. I say this because I have brand called cachaça 51 and I don't like it as much. These are the only two brands I've seen sold in the U.S.

10. whodini

whodini Senior member

Where do you get it? I had to smuggle 4 bottles in through customs on my last trip to Brasil and it's getting dangerously depleted...

That's cool that you do it right, though. It's catching on in the US in hip clubs and shit and they often just fake it with vodka or cheap rum. Lame. Still, I suppose I should have some national pride, it being the Brasilian drink and all.

Or worse, they make it with the "universal" Korean liquor soju. I can't stand the stuff. It makes no sense to me why a place would offer a "rum and coke" with soju instead of just rum. Bastards. Caipirinhas are fairly common here in Costa Rica (and rather good) but I've never looked to see what kind of cachaca they use. It's the real deal, though. I'll swing by the market and see what kind they sell.

11. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

Or worse, they make it with the "universal" Korean liquor soju. I can't stand the stuff. It makes no sense to me why a place would offer a "rum and coke" with soju instead of just rum. Bastards.

Caipirinhas are fairly common here in Costa Rica (and rather good) but I've never looked to see what kind of cachaca they use. It's the real deal, though. I'll swing by the market and see what kind they sell.

I've never heard of this stuff...weird.

12. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

Ohhh I love em, I think that the keys to a good Caipirinha are;

Use limes, not juice. The muddling releases the oil from the skins which adds a certain flavor

Really muddle the limes very well,

Use as raw a sugar as possible. Cane sugar if possible, at least brown sugar. No refined white shite

Use crushed ice, not just straight cubes. It has to melt appropriately and dilute the Cachaca some

K

13. Kent Wang

I used a simple syrup made with Billington's dark molasses brown sugar. Do you mind the brown color of the final product? Should a proper caipirinha be clear?

14. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

I used a simple syrup made with Billington's dark molasses brown sugar. Do you mind the brown color of the final product? Should a proper caipirinha be clear?

Yes, it oughtta be clear, unless you make it with cachaça ouro, where it will be gold.

But it's realyl a casual beach/party drink. Make it how you like it. It's a Brasilian drink, so like Jogo Bonito, it's about the beauty and style, not rules and regs.

15. whodini

whodini Senior member

Along a similar note, I'm a big fan of mojitos which are also fairly common here. Nothing beats the ones at La Bodeguita in Havana, though.

Augusto, were you born in Brasil? What part? My pop's living down around Porto Alegre right now.

16. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

Along a similar note, I'm a big fan of mojitos which are also fairly common here. Nothing beats the ones at La Bodeguita in Havana, though. Augusto, were you born in Brasil? What part? My pop's living down around Porto Alegre right now.
    I'm 1st generation Brasilian, born in Boston. Both my parents are natives of Sao Paulo. I have dual citizenship, bit I've always identified most strongly with the Brasilian side of my identity, since I was raised with the understanding that one day we would "go home" -although we never did. I have no family in the states, only in Brasil. In short, my identity is very confused, and I've taken a number of courses ON transnational and migratory identities in college to see if I can sort it out...no closer... [​IMG] Sorry. Long answer to a short question. I've never been in Porto Alegre, but I 've always wanted to see it. It's the one part of Brasil I don't have family to stay with.

17. whodini

whodini Senior member

You're talking to a guy who's a dual citizen, too: US/Costa Rica. I'm the white kid of the Costa Rican family and the "Latin" of the US side.

I don't really stress too much about which one I am more of than the other. I speak fluent spanish so that and my American appearance allows me to slip in and out of whatever social context I care to be in. Typically, I tend to be Joe Schmo tourist when I fly back to the US and Jose Schmozalez when returning back to CR. Translated: zero customs problems.

Forgot to mention I also have family up in Fortaleza these days, too.

But enough talk. Time to hit up a churasco and have some guarana (but only antarctica) soon.

18. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

Or worse, they make it with the "universal" Korean liquor soju. I can't stand the stuff. It makes no sense to me why a place would offer a "rum and coke" with soju instead of just rum. Bastards.

Soju has a low enough alcohol content to be served at places that have a beer and wine license rather than a full bar license. Thus, soju distributors struck upon the idea of marketing it as an all-purpose substitute for the distilled spirits used in mixed cocktails.

19. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

Caipirinhas are good but i'll never forget the Pisco Sour that i had in a bar in Lima awhile back. man, haven't had one of those in awhile.

-Jeff

20. whodini

whodini Senior member

Caipirinhas are good but i'll never forget the Pisco Sour that i had in a bar in Lima awhile back. man, haven't had one of those in awhile.

-Jeff

I second that. A Peruvian place down the street from me makes them pretty deadly. Can't wait to try it in peru next year.