• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caffeine

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So whats your take on it? How many of you fit guys drink coffee? I usually drink 4 cups a day (2 when I get up, and 2 more during the morning) or tea. I ask because I'm trying to figure out what along with sugars I'm going to cut out of my diet this January to trim up for the summer. Will cutting caffeine help or does it not really matter?

300zx1985

Reaction score
I dont drink much coffee aside from the occasional starbucks type drink. Alot of guys drink coffee before the gym for the caffeine content, it wont aid in your diet if anything it will help you loose some weight because it speeds up your system a bit - given you arent adding tons of sugar and creame. Regardless I would try to cut it down to a reasonable level....

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I no longer use sugar or Splenda etc.... Now, I use Stevia extract. All natural. None of the bad stuff from sugar or the synthetics. Some people don't like the taste of Stevia. I did not find this to be true. Other than the Stevia, I drink it black.

One cup when I get up....before the morning run.
One cup after the run with oatmeal.
One Starbucks (Pike) during the mid day.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to use zero sweetener, but while on vacation my uncle brought that damn French Vanilla Creamer, and its like crack for your coffee. Used to just be 1/2 n 1/2...for the two tablespoons I usd it was 40 calories...I could fart and burn that off.

Mblova

Reaction score
You can just take a caffeine pill. 200mg a pill is about 4 cups of coffee. remember, you do develop a slight tolerance to caffeine.

DaBatMan

Reaction score
I consider myself to be fairly fit... and I do drink lots of coffee. Black, no sugar/no cream. It's actually been said that's black coffee is healthy for you. Also, it's a natural diuretic so you will not typically gain weight drinking the stuff if you are fairly active.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cutting caffeine won't matter, just cut the cream and sugar from your coffee.

Hackett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DaBatMan
Black, no sugar/no cream. It's actually been said that's black coffee is healthy for you. Also, it's a natural diuretic so you will not typically gain weight drinking the stuff if you are fairly active.

Originally Posted by Aaron01

What these guys said. Coffee itself isn't bad (as long as you're not drinking too much), it's what you put into it.

For me, I pull a shot of espresso in the morning and one in the afternoon.
drool.gif

pdsf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron01

I agree. Now...too much caffeine during the day may disrupt sleep pattern which then ultimately could affect weight management.

As I get older my sensitivity to caffeine has increased. If I drink a regular cup now my heart rate is likely to go up noticeably so I drink decaff these days. Thankfully I don't need caffeine to wake up or stay awake
smile.gif
but I do like the taste (with milk or soymilk or black, no sugar).

Phil.H

Reaction score
Tend to drink a a cup every day or two. Not a lot. Caffeine addiction isn't something to be scared of, I know. I just don't really need/want coffee too often. The caffeine does nothing for me so I'm really just drinking it for the taste.

As others have already mentioned, just dump the sugar/milk. I always drink it black. Sometimes it tastes really bad depending. I just grimace and bear it.

Hoodyy

Reaction score
Caffeine addiction is very real. You develop a high tolerence to it, so you need to have more to get the same effect (much like a Cocaine addiction). I personally drink coffee casually with friends in coffee shops etc and probably 1 a day, sometimes preferring a tea in the morning. It gets to the point where people can't function properly in the morning without getting their caffeine in - that's what you should be aware of. I'm thinking 4 cups is probably a bit much. Try a nice cool glass of OJ ?
wink.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Two cups in the morning gets me going. It also helps my exercise get off to a faster start.

In grad school I drank about a pot or two a day which eventually had a negative effect on me. I had to wean myself off coffee, but now have found two cups to be adequate.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's a cup for me in the morning, a second one for the road, and then maybe 2-3 more when I'm at the office.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I drink alot of it. Lately, I think my lack of limiting my intake has really effected my sleep.

I usually drink 2 shots of espresso before my weekend long runs, as to minimize the amount of liquid and preserve water (dont want to stop and piss every 15 minutes).
I can not go with out it, or I get horrid headaches and very cranky.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP said he's cutting sugars out of his diet, so OJ wouldn't really be a good recommendation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics