• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cafe Racer: Aero, Schott, Lost Worlds, or Vanson?

felix03

Reaction score
Hello all. Long-time lurker and first-time poster.

I'm looking for a high-quality leather jacket for riding. I've read the threads on here discussing the topic -- Berlin Report, j, and tangerine: your posts have been a lot of help.

I'm looking for a cafe racer that's snug fitting through the mid-section and the chest & shoulders. The problem with a lot of moto jackets is that they're snug through the middle but massive on top (i.e., extreme V-shape).

The models I'm considering include the Schott 641HH, Vanson Model A, and Vanson Comet. I love Aero Cafe Racer but it's quite a bit more expensive (I can be persuaded
blush.gif
), and the Buco Rider is my dream jacket.

Would you mind chiming in with info you might have on these models, especially relating to sizing and fit? Thanks a lot!
smile.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you actually ride a cafe bike (i.e. hunched way over) the Vanson model A is too long in the front, IMO. I love mine, but I've already broken a zipper because it has to bend near the bottom. The Comet is better in terms of fit, but having no front pockets bugs me unbelievably. The only experience I have with the Schott cafe was with one that was too big for me, so I can't really say. Sorry not to have much positive to say.
smile.gif

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
If you are using the jacket for actual motorcycle riding it is worth noting that only the Vanson Comet (out of the ones you listed) has armor capability.

Leather alone will not cut it. Leather provides abrasion protection. It does NOT provide impact protection. Only armor can do that.

I have three Vansons (2x Force, 1x custom Comet) and all are armored. I am considering purchasing an Aero Highwayman but only for non-motorcycle use. No armor = no riding.

Edit: ok you asked for info on sizing and fit. Aero is easy, as they custom make it to your measurements. Vanson can also make custom, at an extra charge. My Comet was customized mostly for features (collar, pockets, etc.) and not for fit. As j said, I didn't like the pocket config on the stock Comet so I had them remove the Mandarin collar, add a rolled collar, delete the "eyebrow" pockets and insert hidden front side pockets. Basically it looks like a standard flat track jacket but with armor (much like the Vanson Ace, but the Ace is not available with armor).

With hard armor, the Vanson size 40 (Comet, Force) fits me rather well. I'm basically a 41-42 chest, 31-32 waist -- the Comet is a bit loose around the waist but that's the only real issue. Note that the Force has the benefit of a waist belt, which helps prevent the jacket from riding up on your body in the event of a crash (again, safety first).

If you decide to go Vanson, my advice to you would be to find a local Vanson dealer and ask them to measure you. My dealer did this for me and sent my measurements to Vanson, who called him back with comparisons to the "factory cut". In this way, you can get specific info on your fit and how it compares to their jackets -- and whether you want to shell out the cash for custom sizing. This procedure costs nothing but a bit of your time in riding down to your local Vanson dealer so it's highly recommended.

felix03

Reaction score
I ride an aprilia Mojito custom (150cc scooter) so my riding stance is pretty upright.

Ace Rimmer, I'm not an ATTGATT guy but I always wear boots, a fairly heavy jacket (no armour though), and a FF helmet (AGV S-4).

Just an update: Gail at Schott has been kind enough to give me detailed measurements of the 141and 641HH (e.g., sweep, cross chest, back length, etc.), Vanson are checking with their pattern dept to get me measurements, and Amanda at Aero is sending me leather samples. I'd be happy to share these measurements with anyone interested.

Also, I'm 5'6", 155 lbs, and have a 39" chest.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The extreme V shape is to hold armor, which is a good thing for a real rider and an hassle for a poser. Of course you can be super hard core and ride without it ...
crazy.gif
No Belstaff?

felix03

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pabloj
The extreme V shape is to hold armor, which is a good thing for a real rider and an hassle for a poser.
Of course you can be super hard core and ride without it ...
crazy.gif

No Belstaff?

Not 100% sure what's implied here, but choosing what to wear for riding is a highly personal decision IMO. Whether it's flip-flops and a t-shirt, or a full-body leather suit, the decision is yours and yours alone.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by felix03
Not 100% sure what's implied here, but choosing what to wear for riding is a highly personal decision IMO. Whether it's flip-flops and a t-shirt, or a full-body leather suit, the decision is yours and yours alone.
Choosing what to wear for any activity is a "highly personal decision." That said, riding a bike without ATGATT, is a pretty sure-fire way to get hurt, eventually. And I say this as a 10-year, 100k rider with 0 incidents to my credit.

In the event you have an orange Mojito, I'll sell you my Vanson CSR5 for cheap. I only wear my Alpinestars full leathers any more.

felix03

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pabloj
The extreme V shape is to hold armor, which is a good thing for a real rider and an hassle for a poser.
Of course you can be super hard core and ride without it ...
crazy.gif

No Belstaff?

As a matter of fact, that's not it at all.

Moto jackets are cut roomy in the chest and shoulders to allow the rider freedom of movement to maneuver his/her bike. The tight mid-section prevents the jacket from sliding up in the event of a crash and minimises the risk of tearing the leather.

If the reason was to hold armour, then manufacturers would have sewn in pockets to hold the armour.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If the reason was to hold armour, then manufacturers would have sewn in pockets to hold the armour.

That's how some jackets are made

chewy

Reaction score

Right, but it's stupid to ride naked. That coming from someone who's had countless motorcycle crashes (3 major ones that I can't remember), all in a full VANSON leather suit. I don't ride recklessly. I race these farckers.

I would not get anything other than Vanson if you care about yourself.

felix03

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I think I've narrowed it down to the Vanson Comet and the Aero Cafe Racer.

Are you all OK with the length of the Comet? Seems to be cut a bit shorter than some of the others. Ace Rimmer, I'm more or less about the same size minus an inch or 2 in the chest, plus and inch or two in the waist
blush.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a Vanson Manx (I think) perfed sport riding jacket, which is probably a little shorter than the Comet, and the thing is just way too short for me (size 40, up for sale, brand new zipper
biggrin.gif
). I haven't tried on the Comet, but I do know that the AZ/model A is too long for sport riding. Does the Comet have armor pockets? I won't buy a jacket without them anymore, it just seems silly. The armor in my Rev-It jackets is very low profile and fitted so it doesn't really require additional room in the jacket like that beefy hard plastic-with-foam kind does.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Nice looking design and would be great for casual wear, but I wouldn't ride in goat leather, it's not sturdy enough unfortunately. BTW, since it's open in one of my other tabs, check out this thread and drool on some bikes: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360180

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Are you all OK with the length of the Comet? Seems to be cut a bit shorter than some of the others. Ace Rimmer, I'm more or less about the same size minus an inch or 2 in the chest, plus and inch or two in the waist
blush.gif

Hmm, what's your torso length? You're right that the Comet is not very long.

Using the standard measuring method for a frame backpack (for camping), i.e. from the 7th vertebrae down to the iliac crest, my torso is around 17-18". The Comet (size 40) comes down to about a level where it extends a touch below the coin pocket on a standard pair of jeans.

Hope that helps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads