Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cad and the Dandy real reviews

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AxlJack, Apr 19, 2010.

1. AxlJack

AxlJack Senior member

Hey guys first post

Been searching for MTM suits in the UK for the sometime and this website has helped me immensely

My criteria was simple:

1. MTM tailors in the UK or visting UK who actually measure you and correct their mistakes

2. Proper reviews from users who liked or disliked them

So after all this I choose Cad and the Dandy

However I realized that all the reviews of Cad and the Dandy online have some sort of conflict of interest in their reviews (eg: the guy reviewing gets a free upgrade, the one suit shown online is of one of the owners)

So I wanted to ask members if there was anyone who bought a suit from these guys.

And if you did what did you like and dislike about them

If anyone could post pics that would be great

Thanks a lot

BTW if anyone knws any other MTM tailors in the UK who fulfill my criterion feel free to post them would def like to know about other options

2. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

In the process of having a two-piece suit and jacket being made, not been for the fitting yet, so cannot comment on the fit or the final product.

Pros:
    Easy to talk with and do not force their style onto you
    A lot of cloth and lining options
    Lots of options (e.g. pocket styles, vents, etc)
    Take a lot of measurements for MTM

Cons:
    Limited heavy cloth, coat and tweed options
    Their bespoke is not 'bespoke'

I would be disappointed if alterations (besides trouser length) were required, because RTW would be a better option, with only trouser length needing alteration. Mentioned horn buttons in an email and this will be decided at the fitting stage but forget to ask about working cuffs.

I spend a while there, talking with them about clothing (in general) and their suit options; they are not pushing, especially with limit, so it was an enjoyable process. However, despite this, if the final product is poor then I wasted my time. Without a final product on my body, difficult to say more.

3. AxlJack

AxlJack Senior member

Thanks Macallan

that was an extremely quick reply

Would really like to see what the final product looks like

It would be great when u get it what ur take is on the fitting and the final piece

4. the_sartorialist

the_sartorialist Senior member

Maybe you could have a look at Suit Supply?

5. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

From what I see at the shop, they garments do look good; I even tried on a customers jacket to get an idea of size. It will be interesting to see how the suit compares with my RTW suits and that would be something to consider 'is the garment worth the difference in terms of fit, cost and time taken'.

The annoying part is the wait, I could get a Savile Row bespoke suit made in shorter time.

6. AxlJack

AxlJack Senior member

hey the_sartorialist

ya i did look at suit supply its just that frm the lack of reviews on their stuff (wth pics) decided against them

I think some ppl posted their comments on it and it ranged frm terrible to decent haha.... obviously without any pics I cant really gauge whether their suits were good or not

did u ever buy MTM frm them or knw nyone who did?

7. Stanley the 2nd

Stanley the 2nd Active Member

I would be interested to see a picture of the finished suit as well. Admittedly their website is very slick and user friendly but there are a lack of pictures of their actual wares on the website! A few posed model type shots but nothing where you can see the silhouette and cut of their suits!

I was in a similar position last year in needing a mtm suit. I ended up going to Benson & Clegg in the Piccadilly Arcade and was very happy with the result. I did consider C&D but what swung it for me was that B&C offered a better selection of fabric, the suit was made in the UK and I got the benefit of being fitted by a proper tailors with a Savile Row background. Okay I could have got something at C&D a couple of hundred pounds cheaper, but I think these things made it worthwhile spending the extra. I'm not knocking C&D though. They've got a business model which must work.

One thing with mtm is that it isn't bespoke. You are relying on the tailor to get your measurements correct first time around as there is only one shot at getting it right.

8. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

C&D's fully handmade option is, according to them, proper bespoke. Everything else is MTM. And, as they're still quite new, I'm sure their fabric selection will grow over time. I know what you mean, though, re: pictures. I, too, would like to see more actual finished suit pictures on their website. The few that are shown on the front page of their site look very good, though.

9. fox81

fox81 Senior member

i popped into their city store and they had most big name fabric books there. i wouldnt have said it was a small selection.

the person i spoke with was more sales than tailoring, so i was a bit disappointed with their knowledge

10. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Senior member

hey the_sartorialist

ya i did look at suit supply its just that frm the lack of reviews on their stuff (wth pics) decided against them

I think some ppl posted their comments on it and it ranged frm terrible to decent haha.... obviously without any pics I cant really gauge whether their suits were good or not

did u ever buy MTM frm them or knw nyone who did?

To answer this point: I own several MTM suits from Suitsupply (with another on the way) and am very happy with them. I should point out that I am a customer of their dedicated MTM shop in Amsterdam and have no experience with the London shop.

11. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

i popped into their city store and they had most big name fabric books there. i wouldnt have said it was a small selection.

the person i spoke with was more sales than tailoring, so i was a bit disappointed with their knowledge

Jon DeBoise (Edwin from Steed's brother) does much of their cutting for their fully handmade bespoke option as I unerstand it. Not sure if he deals with customers in store, though. Most likely not.

12. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Jon DeBoise (Edwin from Steed's brother) does much of their cutting for their fully handmade bespoke option as I unerstand it. Not sure if he deals with customers in store, though. Most likely not.

Bespoke without ever seeing your cutter?

13. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Oh no, he's there at their Savile Row office (not sure of their other offices), but he doesn't do the sales spruiking, so to speak. They have three or four other cutters working with them, though.

14. apropos

apropos Senior member

[​IMG]

15. Sleats

Sleats Senior member

Sorry to but in on the thread but just wanted to add a point or two.

Bunches/ranges we carry cloth wise include: Scabal, Dormeuil, H&S, Dugdales, Harrisons, Johnstons, Yorkshire textile company (ex head dormeuil designer) Loro piana etc and we will source any cloth any customer requires. For those who have seen our city shop perhaps can tell space is limited so we dont have every bunch in everyones ranges for reasons of storage although we do in SR..In the city we stick with the most popular bunches in each

John who does all of our bespoke is in our shop in the city two days a week and three days a week in the shop in Savile Row. He does indeed see our customers and does the baste & forward fittings, measuring and consultations.

All suits irrelevant of the make up of them, all start by drafting a paper pattern rather than manipulating a M2M pattern or chalking directly onto the cloth. This we then obviously store for future orders... (We also create patterns for all of our shirts)

Regarding our location on Savile Row, we share a shop with Chittleborough and Morgan which is No 12 Lower ground floor (beneath Scabal)

and final point....the website - yes indeed... we will be revamping and inserting more images especially of the suits as soon as possible. We are a small company and have grown hugely in the past 12 months where by concentrating on customers has been our focus and fulfilling orders thereof. The process has begun to revamp and make the site more image and content full.

I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions anyone has on what they would like to be added or see I am available on my email [email protected]

and apologies, not trying to hijack the thread - as you were [​IMG]