• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Navy does look better.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I just got my double breasted suit back and here are the results.

Starting with the original grey suit. As mentioned - they nipped in the waist a bit and narrowed the shoulders. Please don’t mind the trousers on this picture - I usually wear braces - so they were sitting a bit lower than they should. The fabric is still a great disappointment. In this picture, it was recently steamed and the back still looks like I did jujitsu in it. But, as a casual suit, it’s fine. It is without question a huge improvement from what it was at the wedding. At this point - John, James and I mutually agreed there was not much else to be done with it.

View attachment 1292212
View attachment 1292213

Now for the navy double breasted. I’m really very pleased with this one. 11 oz. hopsack fabric. John was very good with getting this nice and trim to the chest like I like it. Same applies for the trousers - don‘t have my braces on. It’s just a touch snug in the chest, but I want to wait for it to break in before I try to mess with it some more.

View attachment 1292223
View attachment 1292224

Just want to give one last shout out to @Sleats and John Baker for this - everything was fantastic. I cannot recommend John enough to you all. The experience was night and day.

What do you gents think?

@ThePetros

Petros,

I think you should just move on with that gray suit. You can keep it as a kick around suit but it doesn’t look salvageable (as many us suggested in the first instance).

The Navy DB is a country mile MUCH BETTER. If I were you I’d stick to this pattern (or DB in general).

Alan Bee

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't want to be the downer but even the DB while 1000x better than the other suit looks far from perfect. Doesn't Cad and the Dandy offer full bespoke? If this is MTM for 1000-1500 pounds maybe ok but if over 2000 pounds and supposed to be full bespoke I don't think I would be as satisfied as you (only loosely remember their pricing). Especially the back looks too tight..

Reaction score
Here you'll find the major problems with the back of the neck and the trousers. As you can see the trousers were a sloppy mess and the bunching on the jacket was so excessive - they needed to remove about an inch of fabric. This was the 2nd adjustment of the trousers and 2nd of the jacket. I would return 4 more times to the shop to correct these issues.

Again, to repeat - I was sent home with the jacket looking this way saying it would press out.

Reaction score
Here you'll find the major problems with the back of the neck and the trousers. As you can see the trousers were a sloppy mess and the bunching on the jacket was so excessive - they needed to remove about an inch of fabric. This was the 2nd adjustment of the trousers and 2nd of the jacket. I would return 4 more times to the shop to correct these issues.

Again, to repeat - I was sent home with the jacket looking this way saying it would press out.

View attachment 1222294

View attachment 1222295
This looks like a pattern block that went seriously wrong. I cannot believe a bespoke tailor would produce this!

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Disagree. OP's body type shouldn't be that difficult for a competent tailor to fit. If CATD needs a male model to make their suits look good...then they are probably bad at making suits.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate being rude, what in light of OP's body type, what kind of suit would look perfect on him? This is not fair to CATD. Not trying to be condescending here, but if OP really loves wearing suits, maybe he should try to lose some weight first?
idk OP seems to love it so that's what counts but I have seen some pretty great suits on overweight politicians over the years... don't ask me names but isn't that the point of bespoke that you will get a way more flattering suit than off the rack. of course slim and tall looks always better in tailoring

zhangzq77

Reaction score
Happened to see this post and do want to share my experience with CAD.
I ordered a grey DB suit in 2019 and it was my first 'bespoke' suit.
I would say the overall experience is OK, since back then i knew nothing about details ,fabrics etc. all i know is that i want a DB. The staff (can't recall the name) nearly decided everything for me, but the outcome is what i want and i still love it today.
However looking back today, i am not sure whether it was 'true' bespoke, because:
At my first fitting, the suit was almost completed with the buttons, pockets and lining all done. Given my poor experience to bespoke suits, i did not see something like either those white thread or just one sleeve is sewn to allow further adjustments.

The good things in the first fitting was that the master tailor came by to check my fitting and he pointed out that the shoulder should be less padded to balance the proportion given my shoulder width was relatively wide because i did workout a lot at that time. Therefore, the shoulder is pretty natural, not typical 'English' style shoulder.

As i have mentioned above, the overall experience is good based on the price (1300-1500£)and the outcome. But it did took them nearly 1 month to adjust the trouser waist LMAO. I do agree it was a long journey!

BTW, the navy DB looks great!

ThePetros

Reaction score
Happened to see this post and do want to share my experience with CAD.
I ordered a grey DB suit in 2019 and it was my first 'bespoke' suit.
I would say the overall experience is OK, since back then i knew nothing about details ,fabrics etc. all i know is that i want a DB. The staff (can't recall the name) nearly decided everything for me, but the outcome is what i want and i still love it today.
However looking back today, i am not sure whether it was 'true' bespoke, because:
At my first fitting, the suit was almost completed with the buttons, pockets and lining all done. Given my poor experience to bespoke suits, i did not see something like either those white thread or just one sleeve is sewn to allow further adjustments.

The good things in the first fitting was that the master tailor came by to check my fitting and he pointed out that the shoulder should be less padded to balance the proportion given my shoulder width was relatively wide because i did workout a lot at that time. Therefore, the shoulder is pretty natural, not typical 'English' style shoulder.

As i have mentioned above, the overall experience is good based on the price (1300-1500£)and the outcome. But it did took them nearly 1 month to adjust the trouser waist LMAO. I do agree it was a long journey!

BTW, the navy DB looks great!
Glad you had a good experience. I've seen a lot of their finished work over the year or so I was in and out of their Saville Row shop and I know what the firm is capable of - which is sort of the problem I had when dealing with them for that first suit.

With regards to full bespoke, I know mine definitely was - had toile fitting and everything. Don't know what you had agreed with them or if you opted for an MTM version instead (which would make sense at that price point).

Though I will say, something was definitely wrong in 2019. I, too, had long periods between fitting where I needed to chase them to get me in. As you can see from my original post, the attention was definitely not there, and the original template was so irrevocably screwed up that all my measurements needed to be retaken for my second suit.

After this, I cannot fault them at any step of the process. The attention to detail was unparalleled and what you expect of a firm on the Row. Indeed, when it's time to get back into the office I plan to order shirts from them as well.

You should rethink this message and consider deleting it.
Glad there are others on here that also think it's normal for paunchy guys to like wearing suits. ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics