• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cachaca

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What brand of Cachaca do you have? I got a bottle of '51' but that's all they got around here.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The only bottle I've ever had is a Velho Barreiro that I bought in Rio when I was there. It's about 7 years old and I've still got about 70% of it left. Tells you how often I make caiperinias.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First off I ******* love capirinhas.... probably my favorite drink. I think PITU is a brand that is widely available but I get the feeling it is pretty ****** in the cachaca realm. One bottle I preferred is an aged cachaca ... I don't know the brand but the bottle is wrapped in wicker almost like a basket weave and the label is unforgettable as it has a Brazilian James Coburn look-alike on the front wearing the most Hugh Hefner-esque style smoking jacket! if you've had this I'm sure you would remember!

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
What brand of Cachaca do you have? I got a bottle of '51' but that's all they got around here.

A bottle of gold cachaca I picked up in Rio in 07. Forget the name.

Mesta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Can't you just substitute it for rum? Honestly, I've never had cachaca in anything other than a cairainaha, but that's basically just a mojito with the rum swap.

what kind of caipirinha did you drink? ;x

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how about drinking it straight?

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Can't you just substitute it for rum? Honestly, I've never had cachaca in anything other than a cairainaha, but that's basically just a mojito with the rum swap.

this post is full of fail.
you cannot substitute rum for cachaça
do you muddle a lime when making a mojito? do you add spearment to a caipirinha?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
this post is full of fail. you cannot substitute rum for cachaça do you muddle a lime when making a mojito? do you add spearment to a caipirinha?
Concept Scarphe-e, concept. I know its not an exact match but you really can use cachaca for rum in most recipes.

zhouyu

Reaction score
Pitu is pretty bad... Leblon cachaça is better

ed1066

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels
I don't know the brand but the bottle is wrapped in wicker almost like a basket weave and the label is unforgettable as it has a Brazilian James Coburn look-alike on the front wearing the most Hugh Hefner-esque style smoking jacket! if you've had this I'm sure you would remember!

That's Ypioca, it's also pretty ******, but for caipirinhas ****** is not necessarily bad, as the lime and sugar typically overpower any subtlety you are likely to get in the better spirits. In other words, if you want to fork out for good cachaca, don't make capis with it, drink it neat or on ice.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leblon is ok but I always order Cachaça do San Francisco when I'm in Sao Paulo

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Could I get some recommendations for use other than the caipiXXXX cocktails? Thanks.

This may be useful: http://www.copacabana.info/cachaca-drinks.html

I gotta say, I was stumped at first. I lived in Brazil (my mom is Brazilian), and I don't think I've ever had a drink made with cachaca that isn't a caipirinha or batida. If you try any of these, let us know how they turn out.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck
This may be useful: http://www.copacabana.info/cachaca-drinks.html

I gotta say, I was stumped at first. I lived in Brazil (my mom is Brazilian), and I don't think I've ever had a drink made with cachaca that isn't a caipirinha or batida. If you try any of these, let us know how they turn out.

That zico sounds nice.

also might make this one

Nightboat to Recife\t1 1/2 oz cachaca
1/2 oz Triple sec
1/2 oz Lime juice
1/2 oz Batida de Coco

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads