1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cabrera vs. Trout - 2012 AL MVP Debate

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by whnay., Oct 3, 2012.

Who should be the 2012 AL MVP?

Poll closed Oct 10, 2012.
  1. Cabrera

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Trout

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is a really interesting analysis from Dave Cameron at Fangraphs:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  2. dcg

dcg Senior member

Something that Miggy should get credit for is the fact that he moved to 3B from 1B to allow for Fielder. Seems somewhat unfair to knock a guy for defense when he's at a new position so that his team can add another huge bat at 1B.

3. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's a fair observation but it still doesn't make up for the fact that at either 1B or 3B Cabrera is a defensive liability.

4. dcg

dcg Senior member

I agree that he's a defensive liability, and I'm not saying it should put him over the top. Just saying he deserves some credit for it, and no one seems to mention that.

How much credit he deserves is a difficult question to answer.

5. Baron

I've seen it mentioned by Miggy supporters about a dozen times now in various articles floating around the web.

6. dcg

dcg Senior member

Admittedly, I have not performed much of a search. As a Phillies fan, I would be beyond ecstatic to have either one of them at their respective positions.

7. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

All this poll shows is that 50% of the people who voted are idiots.

Miggy is the ONLY answer to this question.

8. Baron

Idiot.

9. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

penis.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  10. Meis

Meis Senior member

Wrong. Look at his avg by month
    July .392
    August .284
    September .257

He got worse as the season went on, (and by quite a lot) once teams had seen more of him. Another 20 games would more likely mean that he'd lose ground... which is also why I don't get why people are going crazy about him for next year. Yeah, he'll still be fast and a good fielder and hit for power... but I'd bet his avg drops down to like .290 and his steals will drop since he'll have less opportunities. He'll still be a great player but not as fucking amazing as everyone is saying... more like .290 25hr 35steals

11. Baron

Batting average? Seriously? Trout led the AL in WAR in may, june, july and august and was 2nd in september (to Adrian Beltre, Cabrera was 3rd). Also not a perfect stat (none of them are) but he clearly was elite all year long. Not that Cabrera didn't also have an amazing year, but Trout had one of the great all around seasons of all time.

12. Meis

Meis Senior member

Rambo was arguing that with more games he would've been even better - my point was that he noticeably dropped off as the season went on so more games would more likely mean the opposite. And not just his batting avg. dropped off, his HR and RBI decreased from july to august to September too. (10, 7, 5 and 23, 19, 6, respectively).

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Well the 20 games would have been at the start of the year. So in the context of this discussion, I believe it would have been a net positive, not a negative.