• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cable TV, Here I Come....

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Burn Notice, House, and Lie to Me are my momentary distractions. And Three Sheets.
+1 on House and Burn Notice. I also like CSI: New York and Criminal Minds. HBO is worth it if only for the occasional movie not already seen and Curb Your Enthusiasm, Flight of the Concords, Big Love and Entourage.

i10casual

Reaction score
Now you can watch Mad Men, Roma on FoxSports, and Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. Those are my fav, well Chelsea not Roma.

My Wife use to work at TW. Worse customer service ever. SO call them at once if you internet goes out or cable. They can sometimes take up to a week to check what is wrong with you system. Just be aggressive.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Burn Notice, House, and Lie to Me are my momentary distractions. And Three Sheets.
I had a small financial stake in an early Jeff Donovan vehicle.
plain.gif
Come to think of it, Burn Notice might have been an apt title....
rimshot.gif

Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I'm out most evenings and don't have a DVR, so I don't watch much TV at night. Of the TV I've seen, here are my current favorites:

The Ultimate Fighter, Season 10 (Spike)
Project Runway (Lifetime)
The Good Wife (CBS)
Leverage (TNT)
Dark Blue (TNT)

I assume you're getting HD? Occasionally I'll just flip HD channels and bask in its wonder.

Yes, HD, but don't know these.....

Originally Posted by JustinW
I watch a few of the Food Network cooking shows. Also used to watch TLC's Take Home Chef for a laugh.

Three Sheets on Fine Living is good. Nat Geo, History and Bio. often have good stuff. All the news networks are appalling.

But, really, just do some channel surfing and enjoy it.
smile.gif

Kowabunga! So far, Weeds, FOTConchords, Wire, Office (British) are what I hear about. Have seen Rome & Sopanos (good).....

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Also check out BBC America shows. I am very fond of Top Gear.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by i10casual
Now you can watch Mad Men, Roma on FoxSports, and Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. Those are my fav, well Chelsea not Roma.

My Wife use to work at TW. Worse customer service ever. SO call them at once if you internet goes out or cable. They can sometimes take up to a week to check what is wrong with you system. Just be aggressive.

Thanks for the tip! W/ our building we are stuck w/ TWC - fairly decent (I think?) bulk billing rates, but they are the only game in town, errrr, the building.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
I had a small financial stake in an early Jeff Donovan vehicle.
plain.gif
Come to think of it, Burn Notice might have been an apt title....
rimshot.gif

LOL, I recall him playing Jared's brother on The Pretender, and wondered what happened to him. Then...Burn Notice.

We had TW, which swapped territories with Comcast, and after getting a taste of their billing practices, I would rather burn in hell than go with Comcast again. We got an HD antenna, put it on the roof, and that + hulu.com pretty well covers us.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get paying for cable TV without the premium channels. I never watch the stupid home improvement, lawn maintenance or women make-up channels,. I watch HBO (or HBO on Demand) most of the time I end up in front of my TV though.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry friend, the best decision I've made in the last 3 years was to get rid of cable. I've never been happier with my entertainment options. Cable has too many terribly annoying commercials, and too much garbage not worth watching at all. In fact, cable really is just one big non-stop commercial. I hate it.

I do miss HBO though, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't get cable with it.

Enjoy!

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
espn
discovery channel
ifc
sundance
comedy central
nbc-hd
vhi classic
amc
speed
tv land
tcm
a [and] e

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I don't get paying for cable TV without the premium channels. I never watch the stupid home improvement, lawn maintenance or women make-up channels,. I watch HBO (or HBO on Demand) most of the time I end up in front of my TV though.

laugh.gif
when Mrs. Thomas took a few years away from working, my fear was that I would come home from work finding my wife wanting to examine our relationship or some other Oprah-related hearts-and-flowers crap. Instead I come home and she asks me to build things for her. She saw Norm make a table in 30 minutes - surely I can do the same thing before bedtime!

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Sorry friend, the best decision I've made in the last 3 years was to get rid of cable. I've never been happier with my entertainment options. Cable has too many terribly annoying commercials, and too much garbage not worth watching at all. In fact, cable really is just one big non-stop commercial. I hate it.

I do miss HBO though, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't get cable with it.

Enjoy!

don't watch tv really. but may, now that i can. not looking for additional excuses to couch-out...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
confused.gif

How about all the cooking shows?

I occasionally watch that food show with Gwyneth Paltrow and Claudia Bassols (On the Road Again: Spain). I am
inlove.gif
with both of those women and it's a really interesting show.

Aside from that I really only watch HBO. I don't know when anything else is on and don't really have tons of time for it.

I frankly am looking forward to the day that content providers multicast their shows directly over the internet and cut-out cable providers entirely so that I can subscribe to the one or two channels I actually watch.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
I just cancelled my cable subscription but kept InterwebZ.
There is really almost nothing worth watching on TV. YMMW

If you have computer you have Cable TV minus commercials and you also have DVR (MS Media Center or Freeware). Just buy long Ethernet cable to bring your laptop into the living room and hook your laptop to your TV via HDMI or S-video cable. You just solved your DVD, TV, Netflix watching problems.

So what sites are you using to replace cable? Obviously you have Hulu and the various network sites. Any other recommendations? Any particularly good sites for live sports?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads