• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cable knit turtleneck advice

cmusgrove

Reaction score
Need some advice on where to look for a good cable knit turtleneck. I see a lot of adds this year with this type of sweater matched with a Pea Coat or just by itself.

I have looked over my normal resources online and have found that this type of sweater is terribly hard to find. Any suggestions of places to look online for one?

Price range would be nothing over $350.

NnamAries

Reaction score
I don't know your Location but i checked on Amazon now and really cool, very fine and cheap cable knit turtle neck sweater. You can check it out. Hope you see what you like there

cmusgrove

Reaction score
I am not familiar with Geordie's. Could not find them in a Google search. Do you have a URL?

Anachronist

Reaction score
If you want to really go with the original style, which takes it's cues from maritime clothing and especially the fishermen from the British isles and France, I suggest buying an Aran sweater from Ireland. I can recommend www.thedonegalshop.com. Bear in mind however that these are woolen sweaters and really warm (especially the handknit ones are heavy and chunky but you'll never see a comparable depth to the pattern from anything machine knit)... with a peacoat you're set for most really cold winter days.

cmusgrove

Reaction score
Anachronist...thanks for the link. I actually ended up buying the Irish fisherman's sweater I was looking for on:

https://www.aransweatermarket.com/

The prices were $100-$150 for a Merino wool sweater, which I feel is very inexpensive. I will post next week when I receive the sweaters as to the quality and fit.

Anachronist

Reaction score
Hi cmusgrove,

Great to hear... I visited the Aran Sweater Market in Dublin two weeks ago. Their quality in the machine or hand loomed sweaters is comparable to the Donegal Shop. The latter excels in the hand knit sweaters though. Wish you a good fitting sweater and may it give long lasting joy!

cmusgrove

Reaction score
Received both Aran sweaters today. I am 5'9" - 172 lbs. Chest size is 42R.

I ordered the Medium sizes and they fit very well. And you are right, they are quite warm.

They both look great and exceeded my expectations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads