Cable Car Clothiers – Traditional Haberdashery

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Feb 22, 2013.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

:laugh:

2. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

This is a shooting jacket. You can button the flaps open so you can access fresh shells quickly when you are reloading. (Note the action back as well.) Unless you are visiting a grouse moor -- or at least walking the English countryside -- a jacket like this is pretty close to costume . . . and I understand grouse moors are in short supply in Northern California.

But the Andover shop is a dingy den of scumbags. :confused:

3. jchosko

jchosko Senior member

While prices at CCC might not be cheap, I think that, as Gus suggests, certain compromises need to be made in order to be a viable retail business in the age of brick and mortars competing side by side with online retailers. With that as the harsh reality, the existence alone of a shop like CCC is a breath of fresh air, and a privilege for people who have the option of seeing, feeling, and trying on a lot of these things which in other locales they could never do. For this, I think, we ought to just be glad that CCC is able to exist at all, and take pleasure in our visits there. If things are priced beyond one's means at CCC (as they are for me, for instance) that doesn't mean we should bemoan its existence. I freely admit that if they sold things at the prices I'm willing to pay, they'd go out of business, and that would be a tragedy. But, as Gus pointed out too, business was bustling while we were there, and it was a Wednesday afternoon, so in the meantime I'll just take great joy in the visits I get to make to the shop.

4. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Thank you for that -- it's good to know that brick and mortar shops still have a future, and that people enjoy visiting such shops for the experience if not to buy anything.

Btw, I don't bemoan CCC's existence or the existence of other retailers that charge higher than normal prices, and I most definitely hope that others do not either. The existence of such traditional haberdasheries are a rarity and worth preserving.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013

5. GusW

I've been in shooting parties in Northern California where men wore these. I've also seen similar jackets at Ralph Lauren, Holland & Holland and Beretta in previous seasons.

6. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Really? Proper shooting with beaters? If so, please give details! I did not know this went on in the States, much less in California.

Ralph Lauren, I don't know. But Beretta and Holland & Holland aren't terribly surprising as they primarily sell guns.

7. GusW

No beaters, but plenty of black and yellow labs. It's California so no wool neckwear either.

8. comrade

comrade Senior member

Andover Shop- dingy den of scumbags? Yes, that is the description that Vox offered some years ago.
    When I visited the Cambridge shop they trreated my like royalty despite the fact that I was wearing
    Etro linen jeans. But that is my usual experience in men's shops. One of the advantages of gray hair,
    I guess.

9. comrade

comrade Senior member

10. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

OK. So it was really more like what in the UK is called "rough shooting", I guess.

A shooting jacket like that above would be a little out of place rough shooting in the UK but to each his own.

11. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

It's completely out of place in San Francisco.

12. GusW

Hayward is completely out of place in San Francisco :laugh:.

13. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

You're awfully defensive.

That said a country coat like that in the context of where anything close to CBD is worn in the City makes no sense. It would basically be a costume.

I pass by Cable Car Clothiers often. And it looks like a costume shop. Everyone who works there looks like they're wearing a costume as opposed to a rational outfit. It's really rather jarring.

Their prices have also always been high for what they have. And before the grandson took over, you could forgive the dottering sales staff. Now you've got oblivious kids, and my understanding is that the grandson himself is a vulgarian who has been chasing the old employees out. Rather bad all around.

14. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I love going to CCC, in some ways it reminds me of going to the J. Press in New Haven with my dad when I was a lad.

BTW I've had my hair cut by Nicky several times. He gives an excellent cut, and spends the entire time telling you how great he is, and what a rough deal he's getting from his current employer. This is his third location in as many years, which is probably an indication of something.

15. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

You let a malcontent ectomorph covered with tattoos approach you with sharp objects?! Remind me to frame you later.