• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cabinetry

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Just got in from a granite place. My god anti, how much did you pay for a 12' slab? Every slab in the wearhouse was a maximum of 9' 6". Our floor plans call for a 9'4" island length, and now I know why...

how much does a 9' slab cost out of curiosity?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
how much does a 9' slab cost out of curiosity?

Depends what "group" you pick, with 5 being the most expensive, at about $140 a sq ft.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
granite can be had at $5/sq ft. My counter is 20' wide so I'm not even going to try to find a continuous slab.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
granite can be had at $5/sq ft. My counter is 20' wide so I'm not even going to try to find a continuous slab.
If it's that wide, how long is it? 40'? And yeah, granite will wholesale, in some areas, for $6 for the low groupings, the thinner granite (2 cm I think). The problem is, granite wholesalers will only sell to fabricators, by and large, and fabricating machinery is far from cheap apparently. When you go to the wholesaler, you don't really talk price that much. You identify slabs you like, they contact the fabricator you have chosen, and the fabricator gives you an installed price. Or, in our case, he gives it to your GC who adds it into your outrageous cost of building :p

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Standard 24" deep by 20' long. I was thinking about cement also since my main focus is on honed granite. Ikea actually has some of the cheaper granite that has the look I'm going for that I might try.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's that wide, how long is it? 40'? And yeah, granite will wholesale, in some areas, for $6 for the low groupings, the thinner granite (2 cm I think). The problem is, granite wholesalers will only sell to fabricators, by and large, and fabricating machinery is far from cheap apparently. When you go to the wholesaler, you don't really talk price that much. You identify slabs you like, they contact the fabricator you have chosen, and the fabricator gives you an installed price. Or, in our case, he gives it to your GC who adds it into your outrageous cost of building :p
Yeah, they cut the slabs with computer numerical controlled abrasive waterjet cutters that employ synthetic sapphire nozzles. Pretty cool stuff. I bought a $140/sq granite for the bar. Paid $20/sq. They had a sale ;-). Pio, when I did the kitchen I bought the stone from a wholesaler and paid him for it direct. Then I had the fabricator pick it up. Worked out well but if you haven't a wholesaler who will let you buy direct I guess that's out. ~ H

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Yeah, they cut the slabs with computer numerical controlled abrasive waterjet cutters that employ synthetic sapphire nozzles. Pretty cool stuff.

I bought a $140/sq granite for the bar. Paid $20/sq. They had a sale ;-).

Pio, when I did the kitchen I bought the stone from a wholesaler and paid him for it direct. Then I had the fabricator pick it up. Worked out well but if you haven't a wholesaler who will let you buy direct I guess that's out.

~ H

We are putting in Group 1 granite to our current house right now. That is the slab we are picking out currently. We figure it's one of those things that will help move a house. The guy doing the install does the work for our builder, and our builder called him, with me on speakerphone, to say he was to give me the same price he gives my builder. It really, really pays to have a close friend that owns an award winning custom home building company
wink.gif

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got in from a granite place. My god anti, how much did you pay for a 12' slab? Every slab in the wearhouse was a maximum of 9' 6". Our floor plans call for a 9'4" island length, and now I know why...

That is why the granite took 4 months to source.
They had to have it ordered from where ever this comes out of the ground in this length.

It was VERY expensive.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any preference as to undermount vs overmount sinks? I want a stainless steel apron sink but if they are undermounted I can just see my back hurting trying to reach all the way down to the bottom.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
We're putting undermount on the current job in this house, and will certainly be doing undermount in all the sinks for the new house (main kitchen, prep kitchen, bar).
Originally Posted by antirabbit
That is why the granite took 4 months to source. They had to have it ordered from where ever this comes out of the ground in this length. It was VERY expensive.
I can only imagine. The cost of the Group 3 we were looking at yesterday were not pretty.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We're putting undermount on the current job in this house, and will certainly be doing undermount in all the sinks for the new house (main kitchen, prep kitchen, bar).

I can only imagine. The cost of the Group 3 we were looking at yesterday were not pretty.

Yeah, and fabrication will double the cost.

I like my undermount, we did a Kohler single bowl that is like a small bath tub. I love it. I am not that tall 5'11" so its not a big reach.
I also like not having a lip to go over, its just smooth granite, then empty space over the bowl.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Yeah, and fabrication will double the cost.

I like my undermount, we did a Kohler single bowl that is like a small bath tub. I love it. I am not that tall 5'11" so its not a big reach.
I also like not having a lip to go over, its just smooth granite, then empty space over the bowl.

I think an overmount would look terrible on granite or marble. A big deep sink is definitely the way to go.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
we sourced a sick swirly granite, looked at about 6 different places and found nothing like it, I'll take pics when it's installed.
Ed, you get your granite yet? Want pics. Oh yeah, what made me think of this thread is, I stayed home from work, as our granite guy wanted in to make the template for our retro-install. Pretty neat. Uses very thin strapping and build a template with them using a hot glue gun and a stapler. Then he's going to take the template back to the shop, glue it to plywood, and cut out the plywood. They he'll use the plywood to mark the granite, and the granite will get fabricated and laminated to the plywood.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
DSC01107.jpg

New granite in my current house. Junapara El Dorado. Inexpensive, but not bad looking. Think I will use this for my new bar, as that's going to require an entire slab, cut in half length wise.

Ed, you get pics of your granite yet?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads