1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cabazon outlet notes (baldesarini, ae, etc)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by drizzt3117, Oct 10, 2004.

1. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I went to Cabazon today to check out the Columbus Day sale, some nice deals, picked up a skinny tie from Gucci (I don't have any thinner ones at all), a couple Puma items, and a few other random things, nothing really big, however, I noticed a few alarming and interesting things.

1) Zegna's outlet is selling some nice main line suits for about $525 after the $75 coupon you can get from the outlet office. However, they also have a great many "Gritta" suits there, which are made from Zegna cloth, i.e. Tesutto Zegna suits. They were priced at about $325-400 after the coupon, but retail price on them was well over $1000, and this is the Zegna outlet store. It would be fairly easy to be fooled into thinking you are buying a Zegna suit, ugh.

2) Allen Edmonds outlet prices suck. They are selling most of their first quality shoes for full retail, and the seconds were only $215. They were offering $25 off for the Columbus Day sale, which made them a fairly reasonable $190 though.

3) Lacoste had some very random short sleeve polos in their outlet, not at all the same ones as the boutique. Last time I was there, I purchased a short sleeve polo that was the same as one i'd bought from the Lacoste boutique, so this may be just older models they are closing out from various venues, regardless, it was annoying.

4) Saks Off 5th had some nice deals on suits, and some decent deals on jeans etc, but I didn't buy any.

5) Hugo Boss' Outlet store had a SWEET Baldesarini suit (navy with bold white pinstripe) for $500, but then discounted an additional 20% off, and 10% off with the outlet center coupon, making it a very reasonable $360. I think that is a pretty good deal for a suit originally retailing for $2000 or so. Seemed to be fully canvassed with some handwork. I would have bought it if I didn't have a similar Brioni. Unfortunately, their main line suits were about the same price there. Some decent deals on leather outerwear.

A

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

just out of curiosity, how does the quality of baldesarnini compare to say, Corneliani Linea Sartoria or Zegna?

3. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I have been a frequent customer at the A-E outlet store in Cabazon since they opened last fall. Where you get the real bargains is in the specials and closeouts. They typically range between $129 and $167, which is more like it. I bought only one pair at $214--love the shoes but rue my extravagance in hindsight. Wish I'd known about the sale, might have hauled out there, but I really don't need another A-E "fix" at this time.

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

$129 isn't too bad. I wouldn't have minded that price, are they seconds?

5. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I think Baldessarini suits are superior to Corneliani and Zegna regular line suits. I'm not a huge fan of the pants stylistically on a lot of models (a bit too tapered for my taste, and also I hate the piped off seam pockets -- what gives with those?). But as far as the jacket construction and silhouette, I think they are pretty good. Maybe a dab boxy in the waist, but nothing that can't be taken in. Very great shoulders, I think.

6. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

The suit looked pretty nice though, very bold pinstripes, quite striking, I didn't notice if the pants were tapered as I didn't try them on, just the jacket.

7. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

In terms of construction, superior. The styling I'm still not crazy about, though.

koji

8. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

What would you guys compare the construction of Baldesarini to? Perhaps Isaia or Zegna Napoli Couture?

9. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Drizz, re: your earlier question about A-Es at $129. Yes, you will normally be getting seconds and closeouts at that prices. The imperfections that make them seconds are usually all but if not totally invisible. Some closeouts are less than that. I've gotten a couple of pairs (original list for firsts: $265) for $79 there.

10. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Hmm, I will have to ask about them next time I go there. Some guy was buying about 20 pairs of shoes from the salespeople so they were a bit occupied... seems like a pretty large order, they were all different too.

11. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Twenty pairs at one time. And I thought I was pretty nutty for buying five pairs there a couple of times. I note that they are having some attractive specials starting at the end of this week, so I'll probably make another Cabazon run about then. With the price of gas, I had better buy at least a couple of pairs to make the trip worthwhile.

12. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I'd put it on par with Luciano Barbera.

koji

13. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Hmm, that's not bad. Maybe I should have bought that suit, it would have been nice for going out I think, color and pinstripe size was similar to the one in the current Gianni Versace ad. I think it is definitely too bold for business attire which is why I didn't buy it.

14. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I would've snatched it up; can't have too many quality garments, even if you can't wear them at all the occasions one would like.

koji

15. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

True, oh well. I made up for it by buying some more Oxxford suits on ebay [​IMG]

16. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

A fair comparison, except Baldessarini doesn't have handstitched buttonholes. They are still made by Ma.Co (R. Caruso) I think. Barbera's cut is far superior though.

17. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Didn't know about the buttonholes, thanks.

koji

18. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I think this should be the official Style Forum motto.  Or the motto of the self-help group spawned by the Forum.

19. hermes

hermes Senior member

a harris, yes baldessarini suits are still made by caruso - i spoke with some of the hugo boss reps (canada) two weeks ago and they confirmed this for me

20. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

One other note, not that most people here will shop there, but the staff at the Armani outlet in Cabazon were abysmal. Some guy was trying on a jacket and it looked like he was swimming in it, he was probably a 38R and they had him trying on a 44R or something and the sales person said "most people can't buy off the rack stuff, you'll need to have it altered" .....