• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J wholecut - medallion - yes or no?

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I thought that I really liked the C&J Weymouth when I saw it in London a while ago and thought that the medallion added a little something. However, I just noted that the wholecut also comes in a model without the medallion ie the Alex and think I prefer it. What do others think? Medallion or no medallion?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
I thought that I really liked the C&J Weymouth when I saw it in London a while ago and thought that the medallion added a little something. However, I just noted that the wholecut also comes in a model without the medallion ie the Alex and think I prefer it. What do others think? Medallion or no medallion?

i own the weymouth, and that's the way i would go.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Weymouth and Alex are not strictly equivalent shoes--in ways other than the presence or absence of the medallion. The Weymouth is part of C&J's Handgrade line and is made on the celebrated 337 last designed by Dimitri Gomez and recognized as a great last. The Alex is part of C&J's regular line (often called "Benchgrade" by forumers) and is made on the new 348 last. C&J Handgrade shoes are slightly higher quality than regular grade shoes. The leather is better, the finishing a little better, the construction is better--more carefully done--and they have closed-channeled soles. They run 25% - 30% higher in price than the regular grades. The jury is still out on the C&J 348 last, although I think it's terrific and similar in many ways to the 337.

So make your choice with these facts in mind. Although the Weymouth appears only occasionally on eBay, the Alex has been there comparatively frequently, from excellent sellers like Sausages234 and Modern-Vintage. You will probably be buying seconds from these eBay sellers, but whatever flaw has relegated the shoes to this status is usually undetectable.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well .. Weymouth is a great looking and really really well made shoes. You will be happy with them

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was going to buy from Plal.com. They seem to have the best price for new shoes, and they rarely go on ebay used... anybody with experience with this seller please?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are lots of posts on plal in the archives.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To answer the OP, I prefer the Weymouth (with the floating medallion). I own 2 Grenson wholecuts without medallion and IMO they look rather plain.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With medallion for me

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But why choose? Get both!

If, however, this isn't an option, then go with your gut reaction. If you like the Alex and it fits you well, then that's the way to go. On the other hand, if you really do like both and can try them on, you may find one fits significantly better; this is the one you should get.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with the Weymouth (yes, I need a fifth pair of wholecuts
blush.gif
) but Teacher has the best advice. If you feel uneasy about the medallion go with the Alex.

TKDKid

Reaction score
I prefer no medallion, but that's because my shoe size is small and I don't like how medallions tend to end up swamping the toe. If you're a "reasonable" size, the medallion can look nice, eg:

9411_R.jpg

compared with:

050002000.jpg

- I think the medallion looks too big in the second pic.

Note that there are other plain wholecut options besides the Alex: the Handgrade semi-wholecuts Balmuir I & II (check posts by von Rothbart and aportnoy), regular line true wholecut Mayfair (zjpj83), Handgrade true wholecut Hanover (sysdoc)... Not sure if you can get these from PLal though.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TKDKid
I prefer no medallion, but that's because my shoe size is small and I don't like how medallions tend to end up swamping the toe. If you're a "reasonable" size, the medallion can look nice
- I think the medallion looks too big in the second pic.

This is exactly why I prefer the medallion--my size 12 feet look a little smaller with a medallion distracting from the huge expanse of leather in front of my trouser legs.

Lino

Reaction score
closed-channeled? How do they close it? What does it look like?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I agree that shoe size should be a factor.

Also, have you tried on shoes in each last? I haven't been able to get the 337 to work for me.

Good point. I went down 1/2 size in my US sizing on the 337 last (bought US 11.5 instead of my usual US 12). They're a little snug, but not uncomfortable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads