• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J Weymouth

tdial

Reaction score
I recently started another job that is the dreaded business casual. I came from a business formal environment, and my poor suits, captoes, and C&J Weymouth's have collected dust in the closet. So today, I decided to wear the Weymouth's even though I was not in a suit. I did wear a nice jacket and trousers, but no suit. And out of nowhere, what I would label a poorly dressed office, a guy says to me, "Those shoes are too formal to wear with business casual." I sensed he might be right, but what should I do?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton?
smile.gif
In my opinion the guy is an idiot.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have your cobbler put rubber soles on them.
Make another suggestion like that, and I'll personally force you to eat marc_au's cooking (or lack thereof)
devil.gif
But seriously, what kind of footwear do people wear in your office? For every pair of black tennis shoes or trainers you spot, a pair of Weymouths or Whitehalls should be worn to add a little diversity to the working environment.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently started another job that is the dreaded business casual. I came from a business formal environment, and my poor suits, captoes, and C&J Weymouth's have collected dust in the closet. So today, I decided to wear the Weymouth's even though I was not in a suit. I did wear a nice jacket and trousers, but no suit. And out of nowhere, what I would label a poorly dressed office, a guy says to me, "Those shoes are too formal to wear with business casual." I sensed he might be right, but what should I do?
I would have shoved them up his you-know-where.

koji

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would have shoved them up his you-know-where.
I agree.
They are pointed enough for that particular task.

pitonboy

Reaction score
It is always disheartening to find that the people you spend time with are such conformist fools. As long as you are happy with what you wear and are not lording over the more casually dressed, then be happy and content with how you are and how you look. Wear the Weymouths in good health. If, however, you can't find peace, then feel free to sell me those lovely shoes.
tounge.gif

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is patently absurd. Sounds like this guy doesn't know his ass from his elbow. He probably considers anything nicer than the bland stylings he is accustomed to formal by default. As far as what to wear them with, I would think almost any well put together outfit, even a nice pair of pants and a shirt or sweater, sans sportcoat, would be fine. Why limit pairing them exclusively with a suit?

Too "formal"? Phooey.

Gatsby

Reaction score
Were these Weymouths in black or brown? I could sort of see where this 'formal' comment is coming from if they were black given the elongated shape and whole cut construction, but a brown Weymouth with a more easily distinguished medallion could easily be worn daily to a business casual environment I feel.

BTW: I'm planning my first order with PLal to create the 'core' of my budding C&J Handgrade collection, how does the following sound:

Belgrave (Black)
Audley (Dark Brown)
Weymouth (Dark Brown)

Though I'm certain that these are the three styles I want, I'm not sure if this color combination is optimal for my needs (young professional wardrobe). I am sorely in need of a basic black captoe oxford, but I'd rather have something with a slight 'kick' (i.e., semi-brogue), hence not a black Audley. Though my first choice was the Welbeck, it seems this model is only offered through special order from C&J directly. The Belgrave would seem to be the next most obvious choice.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were these Weymouths in black or brown?  I could sort of see where this 'formal' comment is coming from if they were black given the elongated shape and whole cut construction, but a brown Weymouth with a more easily distinguished medallion could easily be worn daily to a business casual environment I feel.

BTW: I'm planning my first order with PLal to create the 'core' of my budding C&J Handgrade collection, how does the following sound:

Belgrave (Black)
Audley (Dark Brown)
Weymouth (Dark Brown)

Though I'm certain that these are the three styles I want, I'm not sure if this color combination is optimal for my needs (young professional wardrobe).  I am sorely in need of a basic black captoe oxford, but I'd rather have something with a slight 'kick' (i.e., semi-brogue), hence not a black Audley.  Though my first choice was the Welbeck, it seems this model is only offered through special order from C&J directly.  The Belgrave would seem to be the next most obvious choice.
I think those are actually three excellent choices.

koji

tdial

Reaction score
Were these Weymouths in black or brown?  

Belgrave (Black)
Audley (Dark Brown)
Weymouth (Dark Brown)
My Weymouth's are brown.

I would like to throw in a nomination for a pair of C&J Savile's in brown. Next to the Weymouth's, these are my favorite pair of shoes.

Since this was my thread, I will hijack my own thread and throw this out there:

Everyday discounted C&J handgrades from Plal or Pediwear represent the absolute best price/quality shoe ratio there is.*

*excludes one-off Ebay finds and the random EG sales, etc.

Discuss.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No, the Grenson Masterpieces at Bennies would be in my book.

jester

Reaction score
No, the Grenson Masterpieces at Bennies would be in my book.
Well, since the new batch still hasn't arrived...

<taptaptap_impatiently_in_nightowl's_general_direction>

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
please forgive my ignorance as i don't work in an office environment. i always thought that business formal meant that you have to dress up, and that business casual meant that you don't have to dress up, but you can if you want to. would an office manager/supervisor actually reprimand an employee for being overly dressed?

i always thought that if i worked in a business casual office i would continue to wear a suit everyday, because i want to. besides, without a tie a suit is casual.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The guy's an idiot. But I would make sure you wear a very nice pair of slacks with them -- a pair of dark tan or lightish gray wool slacks to match the elegance of the shoes. I do think they may look out of place paired with an ordinary pair of khakis or casual cords.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads