• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J Tetbury, re: dainite sole

robasaurus

Reaction score
I am interested in purchasing a pair of the C&J Tetbury chukka boots, but am concerned that it appears to be offered only with a Dainite sole. I would prefer to have a leather sole, and that is a dealbreaker for me. What I hope that you wonderful people could tell me is if C&J make the Tetbury with a leather sole, or am I out of luck?

Also, if they do not offer a leather sole on this model, are there any chukka/desert boot styles out there in a last comparable to the C&J 348? One option that I came across was the Leach or Smith model offered by Grenson in their Rushden line. Does anyone have any insight into this shoe?

Thanks in advance!

edit: for clarity's sake - I have very narrow feet, and I am 110% set on a narrow and sleek chisel toe shape. I can post examples of shoes that I own which are the ideal last shape for me if anyone needs an example.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can always contact Ron Rider and get a chukka from him (either Martegani or Rider Boot Co.) in a similar last.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
check out Francos.com for examples of Ron's shoes.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Or riderboot.com. His 5A last bears a certain resemblance to the 348. That comes with a rubber sole, but I can't remember whether he also makes a stock version with a leather soles.

From either company, a leather sole could be special ordered--at a premium.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What's the big deal over the rubber sole? I find it far more comfortable and not noticeably different. If you stamp your feet a bit more as you walk, you can still make that cool clip-clop sound
laugh.gif

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like rubber soles for what they are, but I think they look a lot less dressy, which makes them a lot less versatile IMO. I have 2 chukkas with rubber soles (Martegani and Sutor Mantellassi) and I don't think they look right with dress trousers or suits, while leather soles would be fine (and still like right with jeans).

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
What's the big deal over the rubber sole? I find it far more comfortable and not noticeably different. If you stamp your feet a bit more as you walk, you can still make that cool clip-clop sound
laugh.gif

+1. Dainite sole is where it's at. For this particular style (chelseas), anyway.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tetbury only comes with the Dainite sole. I own it and really like it that way.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not sure why the rubber sole is so maligned. I would understand if the rubber sole on the Tetbury were a big clunker, where the entire outsole and heel were obviously just one giant slab of rubber. I'm trying to describe something more distinctly casual, such as this recently-discussed Sargent:

http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...7&d=1220841670

But the Tetbury still appears to feature a leather "midsole" (I'm in dangerous terminology territory here, and I welcome correction) and a stacked heel - only the very bottom "layer" of the sole is rubber. The result is a very discreet-looking rubber sole that you wouldn't even notice unless you were looking for it. Here's the stealthily rubber-clad Tetbury:

CJMISMEN2.jpg

robasaurus

Reaction score
Still dead set on a leather sole as I would like to be able to wear these with suits as well as casual clothing, so all the recommendations for Dainite are doing nothing for me. I appreciate the feedback though.

I think I may have found a solution with a pair of Ferragamo chukkas I came across today. I'll try them on when I have time.

Does anyone know about the Grenson Rushden line? What is the quality like? Are they Goodyear welted, etc?

Originally Posted by HHD
Another vote for the "discretion" of the Dainite sole on C&J chukkas.

There is a leather sole model; consult the catalogue here: http://www.crockettandjones.fr/actu.php as I can't remember the name.

Thank you for the link, but sadly my French is terrible. Those blue chukkas are fantastic though!

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robasaurus
Still dead set on a leather sole as I would like to be able to wear these with suits as well as casual clothing, so all the recommendations for Dainite are doing nothing for me.

Totally beating a dead horse, but I really don't think you understand how they look. I'm wearing my pair right now. They are two feet away from my eyes, and I wouldn't be able to tell that they are rubber soled. Dainite sole does not equal bigger or clunkier. I have no problem wearing these with a suit or jeans. They look no different than the leather soled chukkas I own.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads