• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J Suede shoes - resoling issue

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a pair of RL Redway suede tassels that I recently got reheeled at C&J in London (£20). Wore them one or twice and one of the shoes has now developed a hole in the sole. They now need a full resole - perfect.

Do I get them resoled (half sole) locally or send them off to C&J for the full works at the approx cost of £100, given the perceived short life of suede?

Also wondering if they do go back to C&J, will they be able to breathe any life into the uppers as they do with a full recraft (which I presume for £100 this is what it will be)?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your location states London, so why not pop along to Jermyn street and chat to them there. They will be able to advise on whether £100 is a recraft or a resole. They will also be able to advise on whether any recrafting will have a significant impact on the uppers.

From memory C&J loafers aren't that expensive, (About £275?) so you have to work out if the benefits are greater than one third of a new shoe.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where do you get the idea that suede is not long lasting? It will last as long as anything else, it just patinas differently. I think from here on out you should get taps on your shoes so by the time you get a hole the taps are worn down adn you get the whole bottom replaced.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The £110 service is a full factory refurb IIRC, inc. re-lasting on the original last. It's a bit pricey, but a good service.

(I agree with the others above that suede isn't particularly short-lived, by the way, unless you're really really prone to getting big scratches or whatever, since you can't buff them out. A good brushing usually restores life nicely though.).

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bumping this because the sole on my Redways are finito. Send them back to C&J and pay $220 or buy another pair of shoes? I paid $150 for this pair.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take them to Nick at B Nelson and spend $90 ($120 for Rendenbach)? That's what I've started doing.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Take them to Nick at B Nelson and spend $90 ($120 for Rendenbach)? That's what I've started doing.

No offense to Nick (whom I've met personally) but I'm not fond of the results of his work* vs a factory resole*. And everyone knows I hate the JR soles based on visuals because they are non-lickable. Probably the reason why I did not try Vass.

I'm thinking he could probably replicate the original sole but the price would then increase thereby either warranting a resole from C&J or just ditching them and buying a new pair. I'm still on teh fence.

*Pic evidence provided upon request.

Last edited:

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The polo redway is the CJ cavendish?

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The polo redway is the CJ cavendish?

^No, different colour and last.

However what's the point to consider the price that you paid for the shoes?
If you like the shoes, resole them, why buy another pair?

Last edited:

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go out with $220 to buy new shoes. When/If you fail, have your others resoled.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Depends on the suede. Very light suede, for me, has a relatively short shelf life. Dirty bucks aren't likely to get a resole, and I shop accordingly.

I like worn suede, and now and then a very worn pair will look great. But I judge each pair individually and suggest you do too. If you love yours and think they have the potential to look better with more "patina," go for a resole. If you think they're on the decline, donate 'em.

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To answer the thread that I started, I opted for a local resole on my Redways as I felt they were not looking their best, and as they were suede we're never goin to look their best again.

A pair of c&j calf handgrades however, I took to c&j for the factory resole and they came back looking brand new. Pics in the last few pages of the c&j thread.

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, then I would definitely consider a resole. If the Redway is not the Cavendish, then that shoe is not available at the moment. If you like it, you would need to resole it.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And everyone knows I hate the JR soles based on visuals because they are non-lickable.

I licked mine. Was this wrong? :embar:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads