• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J sizing: 238 vs. 337

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the process of ordering some C&J Chelseas on the 238 last from pediwear, but I can't quite figure out which size I need. I have some Saviles on the 337 last, which fit me in a 10E, and from what I read here I might want to go up half a size from that for the 238 last.

I went to the C&J store in New York and tried a 10.5, which seemed rather roomy for me. There wasn't any heel slippage though, and it wasn't uncomfortable; just felt roomy, especially at the top. A bit over an inch to spare in front probably. I haven't worn chelsea boots before, though, so maybe they're just supposed to feel like that. Unfortunately the store didn't have a 10.5 to try, and I don't have any other way to try some on.

Would anyone care to offer sage advice? Perhaps someone has experience with both these lasts? My foot is pretty normal for shape, a bit wider than average perhaps, and with the arch being a bit more prominent than most.

Thanks in advance.

bullethead

Reaction score
i would still bump up to the 10.5. i have several pairs of 337's and the 238 isn't quite as long.

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
The 238 is tight - I had to go up a half size. Actually, a horrible last shape - nasty fluted toe box. Decided not to purchase for that reason. You're pretty limited for a chestnut chelsea. There's only Foster, but they cost a packet and they are made on a pointy, slightly chiseled last (a Terry Moore special, I think). High spec Handgrade C&J. Tricker's are good. Very military in style. Quite high on the ankle with a rounded toe if you don't like sleek modern lines, etc.

Reaction score
Mmm, and I don't like the double strap of the Tricker's, and R.M. Williams, so even harder. Edward Green would be lovely, but it's out of my price-range.
I actually liked the look of the C&J Chelsea though, so I guess I'm lucky there. To each his own.

TKDKid

Reaction score
I have relatively narrow feet so I can wear the same size in the 238 and 337, but the 238 does feel noticeably narrower. I would also suggest going up half a size if your feet are wider than average.

Reaction score
Thanks all, sounds like the 10.5 is probably my boot. Do Chelseas always feel loose around the ankle, because of the elastic?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads