• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J Shoe Trees

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lasted Trees can come in Spring Tube versions. Thought IMHO 3 Piece trees are the best, thought they are much harder to store (when not in the shoe).

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have the lasted ones, got them with the hand grade shoes. Great trees.

rsuhandy

Reaction score
hehe true
smile.gif

Those words are from Dasco's description.
I would better describe them as having a vamp that
fits almost perfectly to the 337's vamp, also they
fit width-wise quite nicely as well.

Here is a link to them:

http://www.dunkelman.com/viewproduct.php?productid=20

rsuhandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartorialini
For those who believe in makers selling lasted trees for RTW shoes, I have a nice bridge in Brooklyn that I am told is about to become available for sale.

All serious inquiries by pm please.

PS-Payment needs to be made in the form of $50 denominated trees which are available at my website for $100 in US treasury notes

PPS-I am happy to inform you I am currently able to accept CO2 emission credits also. while subject to market fluctuations , they are running at one non-cremated C&J handgrade sub per every 2 trees

Your sarcasm is utterly pointless.
I was simply informing the forum that these trees fit
the C & J last quite well. I am well aware that they
were not made specifically for the 337 last. That's why
I say they fit ALMOST perfectly. Apparently you can't
appreciate nice shoe trees that fit RTW shoes, otherwise
you wouldn't have made such a sarcastic remark.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have received word from the horses mouth that the C&J trees fit the 341 last the 'best', but they were awfully coy on whether it actually was the 341 last.
ffffuuuu.gif
IMO spring-loaded shoe trees (lasted or not) are the best for me - with wear all shoes stretch a little, and it seems logical that if your tree is lasted it's eventually gonna be a little loose inside your slightly stretched shoe, defeating its purpose. Dasco makes a really neat travel (read: light) plastic spring-loaded shoe tree that fits my shoes well - especially in the vamp - where all the other cheap ones you find on eBay fail. In other news, I am unsure why sartorialini hasn't been banned yet. I thought we were in a newer and more heavily moderated golden age of SF?

rsuhandy

Reaction score
Ahh the 341 last,

Thanks for the info.
I dont' have any on the 341 last to compare,
perhaps I should get a pair to compare
smile.gif

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do find generalizations, like "so and so tree fits these shoes best" are not beneficial. It may be that a specific size of a particular tree fits a particular last in a particular size. Outside of that, you can't generalize that a certain trees works best for a certain last.

Geezer

Reaction score
This is possibly the best shoe tree thread I have read and I am pleased it has been dug up from the thread graveyard.

I cannot see how lasted trees (a bit like hand-stitching on shirts) offer practical benefit. I can see that they have an appealing air of luxury, which is fine.

There is a reason they mostly have those springy bits in them: to allow them to fit, reasonably well, a variety of shoes of varying size and shape. If someone can show me a manufacturer of shoes whose lasted trees come in individual size and width fittings, I shall be pleasantly surprised.

Is your lasted tree an exact replica of the inside of the shoe when bought? No, it is an approximation.

Is it an exact replica of the inside of the shoe after both upper and insole have shaped themselves to your foot during breaking in? No.

Does it therefore offer any measurable benefit over a reasonably well-fittting but non-lasted tree?

QED (I think).

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^

This is true. I usually just purchase the BB ones with the Brass knob whenever they have a sale. I usually pick them up for about $25-30 and they do the job just fine, smell amazing, and have nice, brass hardware.

rsuhandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
I do find generalizations, like "so and so tree fits these shoes best" are not beneficial. It may be that a specific size of a particular tree fits a particular last in a particular size. Outside of that, you can't generalize that a certain trees works best for a certain last.

This is very true.
To be more specific, Dasco's knightbridge in size 9 fit C&J UK 8.5E very well.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geezer
This is possibly the best shoe tree thread I have read and I am pleased it has been dug up from the thread graveyard. I cannot see how lasted trees (a bit like hand-stitching on shirts) offer practical benefit. I can see that they have an appealing air of luxury, which is fine. There is a reason they mostly have those springy bits in them: to allow them to fit, reasonably well, a variety of shoes of varying size and shape. If someone can show me a manufacturer of shoes whose lasted trees come in individual size and width fittings, I shall be pleasantly surprised. Is your lasted tree an exact replica of the inside of the shoe when bought? No, it is an approximation. Is it an exact replica of the inside of the shoe after both upper and insole have shaped themselves to your foot during breaking in? No. Does it therefore offer any measurable benefit over a reasonably well-fittting but non-lasted tree? QED (I think).
Edward Green sells lasted trees by last and width. They fit like a a lasted tree should. They don't "fit" the insole, so there is no worry that they mold to your fit and change shape. Also, the comment about the shoe tree not fitting the upper after they have molded to your foot, misses the point of a lasted tree. A lasted tree is there in order to force the uppers to maintain their shape. That's one of the things you are paying for, any way. As long as the last fits my feet comfortably, I want the shoes to maintain the shape of the last, not my feet. The shape of my feet is ugly compared to the sleek lines of some lasts. Therefore, the lasted shoe tree encourages the shoe to maintain that shape.

Geezer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Edward Green sells lasted trees by last and width. They fit like a a lasted tree should. They don't "fit" the insole, so there is no worry that they mold to your fit and change shape.

Also, the comment about the shoe tree not fitting the upper after they have molded to your foot, misses the point of a lasted tree. A lasted tree is there in order to force the uppers to maintain their shape. That's one of the things you are paying for, any way. As long as the last fits my feet comfortably, I want the shoes to maintain the shape of the last, not my feet. The shape of my is ugly compared to the sleek lines of some lasts. Therefore, the lasted shoe tree encourages the shoe to maintain that shape.

I would like to believe you. But my last pair of shop-bought EGs (Jan) come with trees with no markings at all to indicate size/last, suggesting they are generic. A trip just now to the wardrobe shows one old pair of 202-last shoes supplied with trees marked "184 9.5D/E", which at least suggests an effort 14 years ago at sizing (though others lack such markings). But what does 184 mean? So I'm not fully persuaded.

I do believe that it is better to let shoes mould to your feet than to try to stop them doing so.

And, over 20+ years of wearing high quality shoes with a variety of trees, from cheap plastic to wooden lasted, I genuinely cannot see a real difference in the shoes concerned, as long as the trees are used, the shoes worn no more than once a week, and they are otherwise properly cared for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads