C&J Saviles Too Big

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scnupe7, May 26, 2005.

1. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Let me start by saying that I know this topic has been beat to death. Today I received my C&J Savile from Plal. I wear a US 11D. Based upon the advice from SF members in previous threads, I ordered a 10.5E. Unfortunately, they are too big. Has anyone else hear had that problem with C&J handgrades, particularly the 337 last? For all of you US 11D's, did you drop to 10E or 10.5E?

Thanks

BTW- The customer service at Plal is superb. The shoes were shipped on Tuesday and I received them today.

2. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

do you find them too long in length or too loose in girth? or both?

3. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

They are mainly too long. I can slide my foot to the front of the shoe and stick two fingers inside the back of the shoe. I think I have about 1.5 thumb's width at the toe. They feel a little wider than I am used to, but I am not sure if they are wide enough to justify going with a narrower size. Plus, if I drop to a 10E, I may lose some of the girth that comes with the 10.5E, correct?

4. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

i think you'll lose some width.  probably close to the equivalent of a whole letter (i.e., going from a E to D in relative width).

i only have experience with the polo c&j's... one of these days, i want to order the weymouth, but don't have any idea of how to translate the fit... hence my curiousity...

5. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

I'm sorry you're mising a verb there. You think I'll what some width?

6. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

fixed...

been a long day. too many hours staring at the screen...

7. Alias

Alias Senior member

The 337 last is long. That's why it looks so cool.

You sure you're buckling all the way?

8. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Yeah it's buckeled all the way. Your Audley's were a little big for you too right? Did you drop down a size for your double monkstraps?

9. Alias

Alias Senior member

I honestly don't know, because my Seymours were given a US size 7D. They both fit pretty much the same, so my guess is that they're both UK 6.5.

My Audleys did seem a bit roomy at first, but after a while I've come to realize that it is a good size: not too big, not too snug.

But if these shoes are too long for you, you might want to consider a smaller size. That, or go for the 330 last, which does not have the 337's elongated toebox.

10. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Per Alias's distinction between US and UK size markings, I have two pairs of C&J Handgrades on the 337 last, one of which is a US 7.5D and one which is a UK 7E.  They feel exactly the same.  Of course, that only really helps if you've tried on a shoe in the 337 last. Relative to other shoes such as a Grenson or AE, I would agree that the 337 last is slightly larger in girth and noticeably longer.

dan

11. Mr Checks

Mr Checks Senior member

Oohh, sorry to hear that. If I were a size bigger than you, instead of a size smaller...

Other that the size, are you impressed with the fit and finish and style of the shoe?

12. thinman

thinman Senior member

I don't have first-hand experience, but other forum members have mentioned going down one full size on the 337 last. So an 11D US might better fit a 10E in UK sizing. I plan to order a black Savile myself at some point and I'll try the 10.5E, since I'm an 11.5D in US sizing.

13. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Thanks. I guess that's the chance you take when not trying them on first. When I pulled the shoes out of the box I was like "[email protected] these shoes look big". Sure enough.........

The shoe is very nice. The leather is soft with a very nice finish. Really can't comment on the fit at this point.

14. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

The recommendations as to size were conflicting.  Some people said drop one-half size.  Some said drop an entire size.  It seems as though more people said half, so that is what I did.

15. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

If anyone is interested in these shoes. PM me.