• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J Saviles, 7 E

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It kills me a little, but after several months and approx. 5-6 wearings, I have come to the irrefutable conclusion that my Saviles are slightly too big. They are 7 E's U.K, and despite the fact that a number of folks here claim that C&J handgrades run about 1/2 size less than U.S. (I am pretty much straight 7.5D U.S.), my experience is that they're just too big. I have barely worn them for precisely the reason that they don't fit quite right, and every time I put them on, much as I love them, I am reminded of this less than perfect fit. I have decided I need to sell them and get a pair in 6.5 E. It sucks, but there it is. I purchased them new from Mr. Doshi of P. Lal at least several months ago (could well be six; honestly I am not a good judge of time) and have worn them as I say no more than 5-6 times. The shoes are nearly perfect, other than the slight wear on the soles one would expect from walking on cement or asphalt. One caveat is that on the outside of the left heel, there is approx. a 1/16" gap where the leather and the rubber insert meet. This gap was there when I first received the shoes, and I decided it wasn't worth making a fuss over, since it is not really noticeable when the shoe is on. Â I would like to ask $300. for these shoes; based on my limited use and wear, I think that's fair. New from Mr. Doshi they are about $400 (elsewhere $500-600 I gather, and possibly more), although the wait time from P. Lal can be up to a couple of months. These shoes deserve a good home, and they deserve to be worn. Unfortunately, my friend who usually does my digital photos for me is out of the country til after the new year, so I have no way of showing pix (I've really got to get my own digital camera and figure out how to use it
confused.gif
). Either you take a chance now, or wait 'til next year for some photos. I've also got a couple pairs of Grenson Masterpieces from Chris that I will either sell here, or return (don't feel like dealing w/ ebay). One is the pair that housemaidsknee so lovingly commited to digital record on page two of the New Grenson Delivery Times in Buying & Selling (just teasing hmk
wink.gif
), a 7.5 E pair of monkstraps in cognac. Quite nice, but a touch too wide for me. The other is a pair of black chelsea boots in 7.5 D. Again no photos, but I would describe them as having a slender profile with a compact, slightly rounded toe; the outsole is closely trimmed to the upper, making for a sleek, dressy boot. Slim fitting pants would look best with these. Again they are most certainly from the Masterpiece line as the soles are channel stitched. Let me know here or by IM if there is any interest in any of the above. Thanks, Andrew L PS: I have dust bags and original box for Saviles.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saviles have sold. Still have two great pairs of Grenson Masterpieces: a very dressy black chelsea boot in 7.5D (U.S.), and a nice pair of cognac monstraps in 7.5E. Please let me know if there's any interest (Norcal...?
devil.gif
), before I end up sending them back to Chris. $125. each, + shipping.

JohnMS

Reaction score
Might I recommend AJL if anyone is interesting in purchasing the Grenson monks. Unfortunately let's just say I have Christmas cash-flow problems and was unable to purchase the shoes. However, AJL was timely with e-mails and answering all my questions.

Should anyone care to buy the monks and send them to me as a Christmas present, please feel free to do so.

Address is:

JohnMS
34 Elm Street
Anytown, USA 98765

marc37

Reaction score
Saviles have sold. Still have two great pairs of Grenson Masterpieces: a very dressy black chelsea boot in 7.5D (U.S.), and a nice pair of cognac monstraps in 7.5E. Please let me know if there's any interest (Norcal...?
devil.gif
So your the guy that ended up taking all my Grenson Masterpieces. l could be interested in the chelsea boot - not sure what it looks like though. Send it back to Chris and l will speak to him about it. Actually, can you post a picture of it. Regards: shooman.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AJL,13 Dec. 2004, 10:30
devil.gif

So your the guy that ended up taking all my Grenson Masterpieces. l could be interested in the chelsea boot - not sure what it looks like though. Send it back to Chris and l will speak to him about it. Actually, can you post a picture of it. Regards: shooman.
They're on their way back to Chris--don't have any photos, sorry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads