• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J Quality Issue

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It basically looks like you just got the lemon of the batch as opposed to design issues. Sht happens. But I'm sure P.Lal (or C&J directly) will come through for you.

navysuede

Reaction score
Been there done that.It's torn at the seam.Your stitching(which is still intact) is not the problem and still has the extended portion of leather under that seam.In the "making" of the uppers
they skive or thin the edges of parts that are sewn together and this part was skived to thin
with no backing or added support ,so it just tore.It can be repaired but not without some extra
stitching.
However you decide ...Good luck

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Since you're in the east coast, I might also consider calling C&J in NY and tell them about this. See what they can offer. Plal is an authorized C&J reseller anyway.

Detroit is not the east coast....

Buzz80

Reaction score
wink.gif
Originally Posted by navysuede
....this part was skived to thin
with no backing or added support ,so it just tore. It can be repaired but not without some extra
stitching.

I agree with navysuede...they look like they have been skived too thin. But in my opinion there is no way you should get them repaired!

They will need a new vamp (front part)...so the shoe will have to be stripped of heel, sole etc. Then the upper will have to be taken to pieces to replace the vamp. After this they will have to be re-lasted and remade. It's just not financially worth it.

If I were you, I'd contact C&J in Northampton and explain your situation. I work for one of the Northampton firms and it is definitely a manufacturing fault so I'd say they will more than likely replace them for you.

Crockett's are a great quality manufacturer so, once it's put right, you should have many happy years with them...and no I don't work for 'em
wink.gif

Leather man

Reaction score
I agree with Buzz 80 that you should send them directly back to C&J in Northampton. On the rare occasion I have had a problem with good shoes ( and the number I own problems are bound to arise once in a blue moon!) I have sent them back to the factory ( not C&J but a direct competitor) and they have had no hesitation in replacing the shoes - no matter where I bought them from. Cut out the middle man and save yourself some time.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Detroit is not the east coast....

Thanks for the correction. My US geography is based on which division an NBA team is.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction. My US geography is based on which division an NBA team is.

That puts Memphis on the west coast
confused.gif

2004_05_div_map_600.gif

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score

That's funny. What's funnier is probably a quarter of americans use the same logic.

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
confused.gif

2004_05_div_map_600.gif

Funny how both memphis and new orleans are east of the mississippi.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just a little update

Plal came back and said C&J will replace the pair of shoes. Not sure if the pair will be coming from Plal or direct from C&J.

Plal has been great to work with, although I hate the 12hr time difference between here and there, but that comes with the territory.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
confused.gif

2004_05_div_map_600.gif

Seattle has an NBA team?

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
just a little update

Plal came back and said C&J will replace the pair of shoes. Not sure if the pair will be coming from Plal or direct from C&J.

Plal has been great to work with, although I hate the 12hr time difference between here and there, but that comes with the territory.

Malaysia does not have an NBA team, so I don't know what the time difference is, there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads