Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

C&j on bluefly...question about width

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Dan G, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Dan G

Dan G Senior member

http://www.bluefly.com/pages....288274# Although I am new to English shoes, I believe these are C&J. I am normally a size 11.5D or 12D in most American shoes such as AE. Bluefly lists it as a "D" width, but I'm not sure if that is American or English. Can someone please tell me if they are familar with this shoe? I'm also curious to find out how I can resole this shoe or repair it in the future? Could a Ralph Lauren branded shoe be sent to C&J? How about the RL Edward Green shoes? Thanks, Dan Giglio

2. kabert

kabert Senior member

These are almost definitely C&J. I don't know from first-hand experience, but when the Bluefly sizing question has come up here before, others have said the sizing is US sizing. Seems like a great price, especially if you use the discount code.

I believe you could return these to "the factory" to have the shoes refurbished, but it would be expensive and you really don't need to go to those lengths. Find yourself a really good cobbler -- not the guy who nails on crappy rubber heels while his brother is making you new keys or taking your dry cleaning. Find someone with a shop on the premises, not for example a dry cleaner that sends out all their shoe repairs.

3. Dan G

Dan G Senior member

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

4. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

The shoes are made by Crockett & Jones. I would imagine that C&J would refurbish them for you since they made them (for a fee, of course), but you would have to contact then directly to know for sure. I believe the same is true for RLPL-labelled EG shoes. Resoling and refurbishing at the factory is likely to be a rather expensive proposition (I wouldn't be surprised if it cost $200 or $300 for EG), but the advantage is that they can be relasted. In addition, you know the standard of the workmanship and materials that you can expect from C&J or EG, and that's not always the case for local cobblers.

As for width, I can't find those particular shoes in some online C&J catalogues, but I would be very surprised if they weren't English E width, which generally translates to American D width.

They're very good-looking shoes, by the way. An equivalent shoe with a C&J label could be had for under $400 at retail: the markup on Polo-labelled C&J shoes is absurd. However, the Bluefly price is reasonable, all the more so if you take advantage of the 15% off code that's floating around.

5. Dan G

Dan G Senior member

I ordered them in a 12D today. With the code they came out to $265. I figure I might as well give it a shot, they do offer free returns.
    Thanks