C&J Nubuck

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ziss, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Ziss

Ziss Senior member

I'm considering getting myself a pair of C&J Tetbury chukkas in brown antique nubuck:

[​IMG]

Mmmm.

I am, however, unfamiliar with C&J nubuck - does anyone have a pair of shoes made in this type of leather? How does it hold up over time? Any unattractive creasing?

Also, in the pictures, this type of nubuck looks very similar to calf leather. Does it polish up well?

2. Chips

Chips Senior member

Polishing nubuck?

3. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

Nubuck is similar to suede. The ones pictured don't look like any I've seen.

4. Ziss

Ziss Senior member

Polishing nubuck?

Nubuck is similar to suede. The ones pictured don't look like any I've seen.

Exactly. [​IMG]

They're what C&J call "antique nubuck", which seems to be some polished up version of nubuck. I was hoping someone here had some hands on experience with it.

5. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I have this boot and it's essentially leather. It polishes up well.

6. Ziss

Ziss Senior member

I have this boot and it's essentially leather. It polishes up well.

Okay, thanks! May I ask how they have aged so far? Any excessive creasing compared to regular calf leather?

7. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

It's like leather that scuffs pretty easily, but the scuffs can also be buffed out pretty easily.

8. boston009

boston009 Active Member

I have these shoes. They polish up nice with a wax polish and look just like calf. Do not use creams. I find that they scuff much easier than calf, so I end up needing to polish after each wearing. These little scuffs and creases do come out easy after a polish, so I find they do require more maintenence than calf, but look and hold up just as well over time.

9. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Okay, thanks! May I ask how they have aged so far? Any excessive creasing compared to regular calf leather?
    I've had mine for over 2 years and wore them as a my bad weather shoe in DC. Like others have said, they scuff easier, but polish and buff them and they're fine; in fact they seem to shine up better. Creasing doesn't seems worse than regular calf, especially if you use shoe trees. Here are some quick shots with my point and shoot: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Ziss

Ziss Senior member

Thanks for the info, everyone (and especially Roikins for posting pics)!

11. srivats

srivats Senior member

I've had mine for over 2 years and wore them as a my bad weather shoe in DC. Like others have said, they scuff easier, but polish and buff them and they're fine; in fact they seem to shine up better. Creasing doesn't seems worse than regular calf, especially if you use shoe trees.

Here are some quick shots with my point and shoot:

[​IMG]

That is a nice shoe. I like the color a lot.

12. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

I still don't understand CJ Nubuck, I need to handle it in real life. On second thought, I may have already seen it at Sky Valet and thought it was regular leather? [​IMG]

13. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

It's much softer and resilient than a similar thickness of calf. You would not have mistaken it for calf. It creases more like shell than calf, in waves rather than in crevices.

14. srivats

srivats Senior member

It's much softer and resilient than a similar thickness of calf. You would not have mistaken it for calf. It creases more like shell than calf, in waves rather than in crevices.

That was exactly what I thought too! The picture I quoted above looks totally like shell creasing.

15. KlezmerBlues

KlezmerBlues Senior member

I think it is waxed and pressure rolled nubuck leather. I find them similar to cordovan, both in looks and resilience, and they are indeed very resilient to foul weather. As others have mentioned they scuff pretty easily, but you do not really have to polish them after each wearing. If they're scuffed I only wipe them with a polish cloth.