• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J Lowndes in Brown or Black?

Lowndes

Reaction score
So I have decided to purchase a pair of Crockett & Jones Lowndes. However, I have recently become unsure as to whether I should get black as I planned or go for the brown. I will be wearing the shoes with a charcoal or navy suit. Also, will wear the shoes with a navy blue blazer and grey or tan pants. What would you recommend?

Oh, the other shoes I own are:
AE Park Avenue in Black
Santoni Wingtips in Brown
Alden LHS Mocs in Burgundy

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Either way it's a nice shoe. Becuase of the double-monk, I'd say it can potentially be worn a bit more informally, so maybe a brown would be better. also, with the lighter color, it'll stand in more contrast to the pants + the buckles = people will notice them and comment.

PS - they're near the top of my list for next purchase!

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a pair here purchased at the Turnbull&Asser in NYC.

They rock. Mine are BROWN.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dlion0721
So I have decided to purchase a pair of Crockett & Jones Lowndes. However, I have recently become unsure as to whether I should get black as I planned or go for the brown. I will be wearing the shoes with a charcoal or navy suit. Also, will wear the shoes with a navy blue blazer and grey or tan pants. What would you recommend?

Oh, the other shoes I own are:
AE Park Avenue in Black
Santoni Wingtips in Brown
Alden LHS Mocs in Burgundy

I am partial to black but I think brown would work really well for you.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another vote for brown.
I used to have brown and black shoes in equal quantities - two pairs of each. Over the past couple of years (coinciding with membership of SF), I've accumulated two more pairs of black shoes and ten more pairs of brown shoes.
Brown shoes are very appealing as they go with virtually everything and whilst they are slightly less formal, they can develop a great patina and they exude greater warmth and visual interest.

bonobono_k

Reaction score
I think brown is better!!
laugh.gif

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who owns back shoes other than waiters & ?

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
Who owns back shoes other than waiters & ?
A double monk is one of the very few styles where you can wear them in black and it will be obvious to observers that you are not a waiter, getting married, going to a funeral, or interviewing for a job. I would get one of both color, starting with brown if you have to choose one first.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
black might be arguable, except you already have a captoe in black. Go with Brown, my friend.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for their response. There seems to be unanimous consensus (which is quite unusual for these boards) that brown is the way to go. I posted the same question on AAAC there as well and I believe grand total the vote was 21 for brown and 0 for black. Brown it is. Just sent in my order so hopefully they will be here soon.

Also, wanted to say thanks for answering all of my other questions on the Lowndes these last couple of days. It's been a real help since I am not in a position to see and try on the actual shoes before I order them. Thanks again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics